Winchester 70 7mm Mag to 416 Ruger

I've been looking for stainless 416 RM rifles for several years, and have never seen a Winchester for sale. All you'll find are Montana Rifle and Remington 700 every now and then. I thought about a Montana, but I had one in 375 h&h awhile back and the stock fit was pretty bad, and bedding was sloppy as well. Definitely not what you'd expect on a $1550 rifle. I'm hoping their new management will improve QC. I have a Winchester Safari Express in 416 Rem Mag, with a Mcmillan stock, but I was wanting something in stainless, that's quite a bit lighter, and shorter. I also had a Ruger Guide gun in 416 Ruger, I probably should've kept. I just don't really like the threaded barrel they come with and if you cut it off, it's only 19 1/2" of barrel left over. I really want something around 21 1/4"- 22". Kind of a compromise barrel length.
I know.....I'm picky!

I found one. A LH M70 Classic in 416 Rem. Not easy to find especially LH. They are very muzzle heavy IMO . We had our gunsmith cut the barrel down to 22" and Cerakote everything but the bolt (which was so nicely jeweled we couldn't get ourselves to). It's wearing a Leupold 1.5-5x now on Cerakoted Talley QR rings.

:)

77z1cmS.jpg

Attachments

• 77z1cmS.jpg
    77z1cmS.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 113
Well....believe it, or not. I ran across a Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger today. Came with a Trijjicon TR24 Accupoint 1-4×24 scope. Found it in a gun store in Georgia if you can believe that! They gave me a great deal on it, so I picked it up. Going to sell the scope and 30mm Ruger rings. I have a Leupold 1-5×20 ready to mount when I get some 1" rings. So, I guess if this rifle shoots well, I'll scrap the 416 Taylor project.

After I sold the scope and rings, I ended up with only $400 in the rifle. So, if it shoots well, I did get a great deal!

I got in some 416 Taylor dies today and made up some dummy rounds using 458 Win mag brass. Loaded them with Nosler 400 grain Partitions. Guess what? They feed like butter! Just as slick as it feeds the 7mm Mag. If I did decide to go through with this project, It would make a very nice rifle!

Awesome news!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois