Winchester 70 7mm Mag to 416 Ruger

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I've been looking for stainless 416 RM rifles for several years, and have never seen a Winchester for sale. All you'll find are Montana Rifle and Remington 700 every now and then. I thought about a Montana, but I had one in 375 h&h awhile back and the stock fit was pretty bad, and bedding was sloppy as well. Definitely not what you'd expect on a $1550 rifle. I'm hoping their new management will improve QC. I have a Winchester Safari Express in 416 Rem Mag, with a Mcmillan stock, but I was wanting something in stainless, that's quite a bit lighter, and shorter. I also had a Ruger Guide gun in 416 Ruger, I probably should've kept. I just don't really like the threaded barrel they come with and if you cut it off, it's only 19 1/2" of barrel left over. I really want something around 21 1/4"- 22". Kind of a compromise barrel length.
I know.....I'm picky!

I found one. A LH M70 Classic in 416 Rem. Not easy to find especially LH. They are very muzzle heavy IMO . We had our gunsmith cut the barrel down to 22" and Cerakote everything but the bolt (which was so nicely jeweled we couldn't get ourselves to). It's wearing a Leupold 1.5-5x now on Cerakoted Talley QR rings.

:)

Attachments

• 77z1cmS.jpg
    77z1cmS.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 47

TOBY458

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Well....believe it, or not. I ran across a Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger today. Came with a Trijjicon TR24 Accupoint 1-4×24 scope. Found it in a gun store in Georgia if you can believe that! They gave me a great deal on it, so I picked it up. Going to sell the scope and 30mm Ruger rings. I have a Leupold 1-5×20 ready to mount when I get some 1" rings. So, I guess if this rifle shoots well, I'll scrap the 416 Taylor project.

TOBY458

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
After I sold the scope and rings, I ended up with only $400 in the rifle. So, if it shoots well, I did get a great deal!

TOBY458

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I got in some 416 Taylor dies today and made up some dummy rounds using 458 Win mag brass. Loaded them with Nosler 400 grain Partitions. Guess what? They feed like butter! Just as slick as it feeds the 7mm Mag. If I did decide to go through with this project, It would make a very nice rifle!

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Awesome news!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShelliBren

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.