Winchester 70 30-06

It's too late to be in on this, but I'm wondering if the rifle was made after the 1968 improvements.
Yes, I can tell by looking at it. The post 68 PF guns are outstanding rifles, I have two of them. One is a .308 from '71 and it shoots like a match rifle.
The other is a recent purchase, same year, in .270 and have only shot it once but looks quite promising.
This one will feed empty cases from the magazine and flings empties into the next zip code.
They are a very much underrated rifle.

I'm definitely not an expert in action types and have no dog in this fight (I use both types regularly), but I thought push feeds were considered inherently more accurate than CRFs? I've always heard that's why the majority of long range/benchrest rifles are PF. Not that a tiny advantage either way in accuracy would make a ton of difference for practical shooting and/or hunting purposes, but I'm sure it does if you're trying to win shooting competitions with targets a couple thousand yards away.

I thought the allure of CRF was the feeding/ejection reliability and ability to prevent short-stroke double feeds. Never heard that they were also more accurate.
Dont know about LR/BR rifles, but when I shot the NRA High Power course years ago, the best shooters on the line were shooting pre 64 model 70 Winchesters, usually in .308 Win.
Its more about the barrel than what pushes the round into the chamber, how it was put together and by whom.

Yes, I can tell by looking at it. The post 68 PF guns are outstanding rifles, I have two of them. One is a .308 from '71 and it shoots like a match rifle.
The other is a recent purchase, same year, in .270 and have only shot it once but looks quite promising.
This one will feed empty cases from the magazine and flings empties into the next zip code.
They are a very much underrated rifle.
Yes, my only Winchester is a mid '70s Model 70 in .270 and originally had a REAL Bushnell 4x on it. It was my second rifle. Back then, I could shoot 3/4"-1" groups fairly consistently at 100 yards with 130gr. Sierra BTs over 60-62gr. of H4831 (63gr. locked the bolt once). I CAN'T SEE well enough to do that now.

I had an early 80s 30-06 featherweight with a bushnell sportview 4X. I could only shoot 3” groups with it on paper, but never missed anything with that rifle.
I sold it to my brother in law.

I had an early 80s 30-06 featherweight with a bushnell sportview 4X. I could only shoot 3” groups with it on paper, but never missed anything with that rifle.
I sold it to my brother in law.
yes unfortunately a lot of them would not group as they went thru a bad run of barrels for a few years. Really was hit and miss...no pun intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg