Wilson Combat Elite Professional 1911 .45ACP For Trade For .375 H&H

WisconsinKen

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Well, after 54 years of marriage, my mom passed away and my dad at age 78 has agreed to fulfill one of his lifelong dreams and go on an African safari with me, his son. So, to get something suitable to use, Iam offering up my Wilson Combat Elite Professional in .45ACP for trade.
Would prefer a .375 H&H double but would consider doubles of other calibers. Would also consider a nice bolt action in .375 H&H. Please keep in mind these WCs are knocking on $4k new so please consider this when making an offer. Would consider gun plus cash from your side also.
Gun is in really nice shape. Only real signs of wear are on the reverse plug from taking it down.
Highlights of the Elite Professional are:
3.5 lb trigger, bullet proof mag well, 4” stainless match grade heavy flanged cone barrel wth full length guide rod and reverse plug. Also has night sights.
Comes with all materials (DVDs, test target, QC.build sheet, Wilson literature and manual), Wilson Combat bag and 5 WC mags.
I have owned many 1911s over the year and this one has the best trigger by far. However, it is too nice for me to daily carry so it is the logical one to part with to make sure I am properly armed for Africa.
If you want any other pics, let me know. Text is easier so if you send me your cell number, that’ll speed up my response.
Now for the fine print....each of us are responsible for our own shipping and FFL fees. Please make sure you can legally own this where you live. US only and no California (sorry, you choose to live there and none of the FFLs near me like to ship there). Face to face transaction would be awesome but I am sure there are not a ton of us Wisconsinites on the forum (but I can always dream).

761BB3B1-BB92-4D57-9330-0BB54714B6AC.jpeg
149E6FC9-9E06-4B48-8335-A8850A14779A.jpeg
662A03A3-0E18-4A9F-9CD3-4DEF0DE8D423.jpeg
4CDD9F21-F469-4A4F-BEAD-4A7FFC8DFC7C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking 1911 ya got there. Great to hear your father is planning a trip with ya. Wish y'all the best of luck.
In reference to a trade for a double, don't think that's gonna happen unless there is considerable amount of cash with your trade from your end. Don't even know if a Sabatti would go even up.
Bolt is very possible and hope ya find one you like.

Thanks.
I figured a double might be a stretch but you never know what people might have collecting dust in the back closet from their uncle that has some handling “character” that they don’t want :). Don’t need perfect, just need functional.

I’d love to keep the Wilson but it is not really in the financial cards at the moment. Going to be searching under every cushion to make the trip happen...

I’d love to keep the Wilson but it is not really in the financial cards at the moment. Going to be searching under every cushion to make the trip happen...

I would do like @PARA45 says and sell the pistol for cash, buy a quality but much more practical .375 H&H bolt gun, and use the rest to help fund the trip. Not sure of the age or vision of your Dad, but good optics could be a real plus on a rifle in terms of shot placement and ultimate success.

I do agree with your thinking. Also I should have noted in the original post that I do have it posted locally for sale/trade.
When you get up into that realm of 1911s, your available pool of eligible buyers shrinks dramatically. I have found trading at that price point usually is easier. Same with big caliber/high end rifles.
I will keep my eyes peeled for the right .375. I agree a bolt is a lot more practical, but there is something so nostalgic/cool thinking about using a double on an African Safari :)
I do a fair amount of “run and gun” shooting. I have been super impressed with the 1-8 Vortex scopes and will probably use one of those. It’d be nice to put a variety or rounds through my new rifle to make sure the Vortex holds up. Nothing I have heard or read makes me think they will, but it is always nice to see for yourself.

May want to look at cabelas gun library. They typically offer about 30% below 'book' value, and more for a trade. If they have something that fits your bill, may he a good opportunity to trade thru them.

As you said, a high end 1911 has a small pool, and those buyers may also feel more secure buying from a store where they can easily throw a card down.

Nice big bores dont tend to sit for long if they are priced right, so selling to Cabelas or trading to them if they have your desired rifle can be a quick transaction though not the return you may want.

May want to look at cabelas gun library. They typically offer about 30% below 'book' value, and more for a trade. If they have something that fits your bill, may he a good opportunity to trade thru them.

As you said, a high end 1911 has a small pool, and those buyers may also feel more secure buying from a store where they can easily throw a card down.

Nice big bores dont tend to sit for long if they are priced right, so selling to Cabelas or trading to them if they have your desired rifle can be a quick transaction though not the return you may want.

If you look into trading with Cabelas be prepared to lose your a**. I have been involved in deals with the gun library that show how greedy their profit line is run. I'm in the midst of a complaint with them as I write this post. If I don't hear from someone "up the ladder "in another week, my grumbling will go beyond a private dispute between Cabelas and me. The problem is corporate, the gun libraries staff and managers can't currently help the consumer, even if the consumer has been a customer for over 40 years.
Sometimes you can get a good buy, and know that someone lost their a** for Cabelas to give you that deal because their profit margins are obscene.
Good luck on your quest.
Bob

If you look into trading with Cabelas be prepared to lose your a**. I have been involved in deals with the gun library that show how greedy their profit line is run. I'm in the midst of a complaint with them as I write this post. If I don't hear from someone "up the ladder "in another week, my grumbling will go beyond a private dispute between Cabelas and me. The problem is corporate, the gun libraries staff and managers can't currently help the consumer, even if the consumer has been a customer for over 40 years.
Sometimes you can get a good buy, and know that someone lost their a** for Cabelas to give you that deal because their profit margins are obscene.
Good luck on your quest.
Bob

All depends on the book value to actual value when I have dealt with them. I've bought type 94 Nambus multiple times because the 'book's value was so much less than the actual selling prices. I've sold them guns that were selling a low prices but had high book prices and did well.

Bottom line is, if you have a pricey firearm and need to move it quick or have a trade you want to make, there is a chance Cabelas can be an option. People overpay everyday for firearm purchases and some people get deals. Just the way it is as many factors can contribute to pricing especially in modern/newer firearms.

Where are you at in Wisconsin

No idea what your hunt plans are but does he need a 375? Maybe he could use your big gun when needed or check with your ph to see if he has a loaner 375 and take a 30-06 to 338 for plains game. If he is only using the 375 for buffalo it will only be 1 to a few shots. Other calibers will work for plains game. Just a thought.

No idea what your hunt plans are but does he need a 375? Maybe he could use your big gun when needed or check with your ph to see if he has a loaner 375 and take a 30-06 to 338 for plains game. If he is only using the 375 for buffalo it will only be 1 to a few shots. Other calibers will work for plains game. Just a thought.
I like the story that goes along with the gun. This will probably be his one and only hunt and I would like to use the safe rifle for years to come with my kids and have the history that grandpa used this when he and I did...
There are a few guns in my collection that will never get sold off/ traded away. As a couple of examples, I have my Father S&W revolver he used on the police force. I have my great grandfather Colt Official Police 38 special along with the Sam brown holster rig that he used as a security guard during WW2. When I shoot these with my kids (and hopefully grandkids some day), I can pass on the family history as it pertains to them. I would like the .375 to be the same for my family. It may be overbore for the plains game hunt we are looking at, but I do plan on doing buffalo in the next 10 years and it’d be great to add that to the pedigree of the rifle.
As a side, we will both be taking 06s but have the 375 just in case conditions warrant it. So, if I don’t sell the WC locally or trade it away here or locally, it is not a show stopper. We’ll just have to use a loaner gun if needed.

Last edited:
Well everyone, I gave up on the hopes someone had an extra inexpensive double laying in the back of the closet :)
I still have the Wilson and would consider trades on .375 and up bolt guns. Cash can go either way. Let me know if you are interested.

I have a ,cz550 safari classic in 375 if that peaks your interest. Or a win model 70 in 458

Good luck on your quest.
Bob
No one forces anybody to take the deal offered from them or anyone else.;) You don't like the deal, you don't make the deal.(y) Simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg