William Evans Cordite Rifle Advertisement

Dinosaur

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Kenya
I found this old William Evans Cordite Rifle Advertisement in an old hunting book. Sorry about the poor quality.

Regards
Rob
William Evans Cordite Rifles #1.png

Love how the 375 is recommended for deer stalking as it has more striking energy than the 303 Lee metford....mannlicher or mauser....:D....winder what action is they used .....

The rifle looks like a Hembrug Mannlicher......

This rifle, generally chambered in .256 Mannlicher, could not carry a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum cartridge.

Magazine was way to short.

What I think they advertised is a .400/375 Belted Nitro Express, a .375 Flanged Nitro Express 2 1/2" (not Magnum!!!) or a .375 Rimless Nitro Express 2 1/4" (again not the Magnum!)

Could also be a .375/.303 Westley Richards (Axite)

Brits had a lot of different deer cartridges in "375" at this time.

HWL

Definitely the obscure .375 2.5” cartridge. Not the venerable 375HH belted magnum or it’s double rifle 375HH flanged cousin.

This rifle, generally chambered in .256 Mannlicher, could not carry a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum cartridge.

What I think they advertised is a .400/375 Belted Nitro Express, a .375 Flanged Nitro Express 2 1/2" (not Magnum!!!) or a .375 Rimless Nitro Express 2 1/4" (again not the Magnum!)

HWL

I found this old William Evans Cordite Rifle Advertisement in an old hunting book. Sorry about the poor quality.

Regards
Rob
View attachment 355481

The rifle shown uses the Mannlicher 'packet loading' system (en bloc clip), the bolt handle closes forward of the rear receiver ring, and it looks entirely similar to a Mannlicher M1895.

HWL

Ok thanks...forgot about the short version...knew someone who had a rifle chambered for it...was long time ago and before that I had never heard of it.

Ok thanks...forgot about the short version...knew someone who had a rifle chambered for it...was long time ago and before that I had never heard of it.

This one:

375_2-5in.jpg

Attachments

• 375_2-5in.jpg
    375_2-5in.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 90
Interesting advertisement.
Do you have a publication date for the hunting book?
Regards
AlanD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross