William Evans 8 bore hammer gun

Jcordell

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
National Rifleman Association, DAV
I've been meaning to post about my experience from a few months ago, but I just keep forgetting. Until now. I know a gentleman (who lives nearby) who has been in the gun business (retail) for many decades. As a result he knows many different folks. Back in January he had a visitor who is an avid hunter. More importantly he's an avid hunter who like to use the Old Ones. I was actually working (night shift patrol) when he called me and asked if had the time to swing by his house. Why? Well he wanted to show me a genuine William Evans 8 bore fully rifled hammer gun that his visitor had with him. Wow. I especially liked the Jones underlever. It was a monster, but the workmanship was astounding. Evidently it was recently used on safari. Black powder and all. No I didn't get pictures (sorry), but it was a true treat. I held it for a few minutes and then the radio squawked my badge number and I had to go on a call. But for a few brief moments I felt like I was Baker or Sealous. Well actually Walter Mitty, but what the heck. I'm envious of anyone who owns one of the old black powder hammer guns. They're amazing.

Awesome, how heavy was it?
I actually asked. I was told fifteen pounds. It was heavy, but very compact and balanced. Despite the weight ,and size, it moved very easily in my hands. It didn't seem heavy and dead - like say how a 15 lb dumbbell would feel. A once in a lifetime experience. Glenn told me that the owner (Tom?) didn't believe that there was a police officer in Caldwell, Idaho who knew what a William Evans rifle was much less would enjoy seeing it. Damn I wish I had thought to take a photo. *Sigh* Just a few minutes, but I'll remember.

How old do you think the big note was?

How old do you think the big note was?

1890's? It was rated for black powder, but I never got a chance to ask the date of birth. I had just a few minutes before I had to leave on a call. By the time the evening slowed down it was after 2:00 A.M. so I was unable to get back over. Wish I'd had more time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!