Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
A couple of months ago I purchased a used but essentially new William Douglas & Sons .470. It is a A&D boxlock ejector. I finally took it out back to my little range and set up a target at 70 meters. I used a set of sticks that offer forearm and stock support. Sight picture was bead full in the red center of the target. The left/right shots are pictured below.

As many know who have fooled with these wonderful/frustrating things, finding a factory load that regulates can be difficult - usually impossible. Even knowing the actual regulating ammuniton often doesn't solve things, because regulation can change, sometimes dramatically between lot numbers. This is a late eighties - early nineties rifle, so the odds of finding a current factory load that truly regulated was remote. Needless to say I am ecstatic, and immediately ordered 60 rounds - should be plenty to see me through.

Looks like it's ready for some field usage. Glad you found a load she likes without going through the gamut.

Looks like it's ready for some field usage. Glad you found a load she likes without going through the gamut.
Yep - extraordinarily lucky - six o'clock hold clipped the red. About as good as my eyes can do at that range with open sights. One of these is usually a three - six month project. Have a 9.3 that I still haven't figured out (with a lot of help).

Last edited:
Congrats, that was a very lucky find !

Oh am I envious! So now what’s the plan to use it on game?

I love when I'm able to find a factory load that shoots well in my rifles (I reload only when I need to as it's time that's hard to find lately), and it's not always easy in a bolt gun so I can only imagine your satisfaction on finding one for your new double.
Better to be lucky sometimes...

A couple of months ago I purchased a used but essentially new William Douglas & Sons .470. It is a A&D boxlock ejector. I finally took it out back to my little range and set up a target at 70 meters. I used a set of sticks that offer forearm and stock support. Sight picture was bead full in the red center of the target. The left/right shots are pictured below.

As many know who have fooled with these wonderful/frustrating things, finding a factory load that regulates can be difficult - usually impossible. Even knowing the actual regulating ammuniton often doesn't solve things, because regulation can change, sometimes dramatically between lot numbers. This is a late eighties - early nineties rifle, so the odds of finding a current factory load that truly regulated was remote. Needless to say I am ecstatic, and immediately ordered 60 rounds - should be plenty to see me through.

Yes sir I think both barrels will cut meat'

Congrats! But, isn't it almost a little disappointing not having to solve that particular puzzle?

Beautiful Rifle!

Congrats on a very nice rifle!

Very nice! It seems the double rifle gods decided you’ve paid your dues :)

A couple of months ago I purchased a used but essentially new William Douglas & Sons .470. . . .

Can't tell it's used, looks brand new to me from those photos. Nice purchase.

Nice rifle Red...these were made in Holland IIRC..??

Nice rifle Red...these were made in Holland IIRC..??
Assembled, finished and proofed in the UK. Actions came from a CNC facility Holland and barrels from Germany. Most are in .470 and a few .500’s. Standard A&D action, dual under lugs, and hidden third fastener. JJ Perodeau thinks they are a very solid rifle.

They were hurt in this country by some gunsmith claiming they were unsafe, weren’t proofed and didn’t have, for instance, a third fastener. That was all debunked (you can dig up the discussion on another site), but suspect lasting damage done. Judging this rifle on its own merits, it is a classic working boxlock, that is both accurate and well regulated.

Last edited:
@Red Leg: Joe, looks like another fine addition to your arsenal for defense and the pursuit of happiness. For those of us that aren't very knowledgeable on doubles in general or William Douglas & Son specifically, what can you tell us this gun maker? I Googled William Douglas & Son and found a few guns for sale, but no company website or other info. It does appear they have the proper English origin :)

upload_2019-9-1_6-38-4.png

Just saw your post with all the details, thanks!

Redleg , Congratulations !
The only double in my life which l have fired was a .470 Nitro Express as well :) It was a 1953 Rigby which my friend , Evan in Australia owns now. It puts Water Buffalo down like Thor's hammer :)
I see a nice Cape Buffalo in your future :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg