Will I be disappointed?

Davidm

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I used to own two BRNO ZKK 602. One in 375H&H and one in 458 Lott. For some reason I sold them both and I have regretted it ever since. Now my biggest bore is a 300wm and nope, that can’t continue like that. Yesterday I found a older BRNO 550 magnum in 416 Rigby for what I would say aa nice deal (around $600) so of course I bought it. Now to my question. I really loved the action and feeling of the zkk rifles. Is the BRNO 550 similar in handling? Since the dealer is a 4 hour drive away I haven’t handle the rifle, I just bought it over the phone.
It’s my understanding the the 550 replaced the zkk 602 but I might be wrong.

Assuming you mean a CZ 550? You will tell the difference between a BRNO ZZK and a 550 for sure but they are similar. I liked both just fine. I much prefer the American CZ stock to the Euro style.

They are different . I actually prefer the older BRNO ZKK602 ( in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum ) with the folding diopter in the receiver . Much more refined than the CZ550 ( although the CZ550 is certainly not bad ) . On my very first African Safari in Kenya in 1974 , this was the rifle which I used ( along with a BRNO ZKK600 in .30-06 Springfield ) . Over the years , I’ve used a few different .375s on Safari ( depending on what my white hunter had in camp to offer ) , but I don’t think any can even remotely come close to those early BRNO ZKK602 rifles . During the 1970s , almost every white hunter I saw , had a pair of BRNO ZKK602 rifles ( one in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and one in .458 Winchester Magnum ) . By the 1990s , almost all of the guys had the .458 Winchester Magnums reamed out to become .458 Lotts ( the .458 Winchester Magnum BRNO ZKK602 rifles were notorious for feeding problems ) . But the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum BRNO ZKK602 rifles are still going strong . At least in Zimbabwe and Namibia . True workhorses of Africa .

The BRNO ZKK602 is the predecessor of the CZ550 , from a time when Czechoslovakia was still a communist country . Labor was cheap and BRNO produced some of their finest firearms during the 1970s .

EC810A6A-93E6-4687-B1BE-2BC592537BA5.jpeg

Last edited:
Essentially the same action with minor differences in terms of the safety and trigger. Many of the parts for the 550 are the same for as for the ZKK and retain the same part number. Unfortunately both rifles are now discontinued and future parts availability will be limited. Get your preferred smith to fully check out the rifle and do whatever needs doing while there is some chance of replacing worn parts.

Yes the price makes it to good to pass. Once I get it home I will have a gunsmith check it out. In the future I’m also going to have a new stock made to it since it hace the European hodgeback stile stock now.

Doesn't most of the 602 have a backwards safety opposed to the 550?
This is true.
But, my gunsmith has "rearranged" the ZKK original safety, from backwards safety off, to standard forward safety off.
What exactly he made I do not know, but it is doable.

The 602 action is greatly revered- almost accorded god like status. The 550 is by and large the same action. It is generally more roughly finished and needs polishing. So a little bit of elbow grease on your part and you will have almost the same rifle.

Hello,

Agree! A CZ 550 416 Rigby at u$ 600, if in good shape, is a bargain!
Going to the ZKK 602 vs the CZ 550 finishing, well, it depends of the year of the 602. Or the entire ZKK serie.
The first era, from 1966 to 1970 or so, the ZKK were very well made and finished. Not exactly "fine" but almost: The polishing of the action and bolt insides was very good. The same about the external polishing and bluing of the barrel!
After the 70 or so, the quality of the finish went slowly down. Not the function, only the finishing.
I have a 1967 ZKK 600 (9,3x62) bought used in 2017, and a 1977 ZKK 601 308 Win I bought new in 1979. This .308 is one of the last ZKK still with the peep sight in the rear action bridge and the front sling swivel on the barrel.
The difference in the inside and outside finishing is, really, big!!
The last ZKK, marked CZ on the left side of the action, are better made and finished than the "mid term" ones. At least all I have seen.
I have the same opinion of the CZ 550 vs. those "mid term" ZKKs...
By the way, I also have a BRNO Nº 2 made in 1964. And a BRNO Nº 4 from the late fifties. The fit and finish of these is much better than the later ones!

Best!

CF

I really liked the two zkk 602 I hade and I hope I will like the 550 too. My plan was to buy another 602 and rebarrel it to 404 jeffery but when I found this 550 in 416 Rigby I just needed to have it, I really miss not having something bigger than an 300wm.
So my new plan is, if I liked the 550, to continue looking for a nice zkk 602 and rebarrel it in either 450 Rigby, to have a nice “almost pair” with the 416 or maybe rebarrel it in 500 jeffery.

Or maybe find one zkk 600 and make it in 275 Rigby and a zkk 602 in 450 Rigby and have a nice trio

This is a picture from the dealer of the gun. The scope is not included. I’m thinking of trying the open sights and maybe put a 1-6x scope in qr on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.