Wildebeest vs. Slick Trick Magnum

IA Monsterbuck

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Canada
Shot penetrated through offside shoulder with the ferrule breaking through the hide. Wildebeest hit the dirt like he was hit by a wrecking ball but did get back on his feet and made it 50 yards before expiring in the middle of the road. No dragging or tracking required.

uploadfromtaptalk1505794068486.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794076836.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794091696.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794100613.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794127932.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794155990.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794217428.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794234003.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794248314.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1505794285522.jpg

I used the exact same broadhead on my blue wildebeest in Namibia. It ran with the herd in a big semicircle right back in front of us about 80 yards and dropped dead.

Good shooting. Sometimes they don't drop that quick when shot with a rifle.

I used the exact same broadhead on my blue wildebeest in Namibia. It ran with the herd in a big semicircle right back in front of us about 80 yards and dropped dead.

They are an excellent broadhead. I've used them for a few years now. Tough, good penetration and the four blades make a nice hole in them.

In Africa I had complete passthroughs on Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra and Impala and on the Wildebeest it hit the opposite shoulder and still penetrated the hide on the opposite side. The only animal that went more than 50 yards or so was the Gemsbok and that was my fault, it was the first animal I shot and I had not aimed forward enough for the anatomy of African game. What would have been a perfect shot on a whitetail or elk hit the back part of lungs and liver. Thankfully the trackers in Africa are amazing and we were able to follow his trail and recover him.

Wow! He's nice! How far was that shot? Great series of still frames. I can't wait to go back!

They are an excellent broadhead. I've used them for a few years now. Tough, good penetration and the four blades make a nice hole in them.

In Africa I had complete passthroughs on Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra and Impala and on the Wildebeest it hit the opposite shoulder and still penetrated the hide on the opposite side. The only animal that went more than 50 yards or so was the Gemsbok and that was my fault, it was the first animal I shot and I had not aimed forward enough for the anatomy of African game. What would have been a perfect shot on a whitetail or elk hit the back part of lungs and liver. Thankfully the trackers in Africa are amazing and we were able to follow his trail and recover him.
Actually the vitals on both are pretty similar, we just seem to have gotten used to inaccurate 3-d and paper targets of US animals. I find it frustrating. IBEP diagrams show it clearly. US animals may have a little more depth to their lungs but not enough to matter.

Actually the vitals on both are pretty similar, we just seem to have gotten used to inaccurate 3-d and paper targets of US animals. I find it frustrating. IBEP diagrams show it clearly. US animals may have a little more depth to their lungs but not enough to matter.
I don't know. Here is a pic where you can see the entrance hole, pretty much right in the crease. I've never had a deer go far on a shot in this location.

uploadfromtaptalk1505971842721.jpg

So I do think there are some differences, but would agree that on NA game we are generally tought to shoot further back than necessary. In the future I will be aiming more forward than I have been, aiming for the center of that triangle formed by the leg bones.

Great shot and great performance! The color of the Blue Wildebeest hide s very nice.

Awesome series of pics there, and beauty Blue too! Slik Tricks are dandy broadheads.

very nice. I love slick tricks myself as they are strong super sharp and fly better then most.

Perfect shot, nice bull!

I shot G5 Montecs in 140 grn and never had an issue ...... perfect shot and cut on contact broad heads are a combo that works .
Glen

I used a Magnus Stinger 4 blade and my wildebeest went eighty yards. Having shot numerous animals with it including eland I would say that the ferule is a bit weak, often the ferule is slightly bent upon recovery

I use zwickey 125 grain blades with a 500 grain shaft on my 80 lb bow. Old school but great results for hunting Wildebees etc. been hunting with them for about 3 years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg