Wildebeest Butchering

Potjie

Reaction score
I am going hunting next weekend and I'm planning at shooting a blue wildebeest. I have not previously shot a bwb before and I am looking for some help/suggestions regarding the butchering of the carcass.

I would like to get some nice steaks, biltong cuts and then wors out, but i'm not sure over quantities. Does anyone know what I can expect and any suggestions on what I should ask of the butcher?

http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-africa/5470-blue-wildebeest-slaughtered-weight.html#post29737

If they are anything like ungulates here.
I cut:
Steaks or Premium Meat
Tenderloins "loins"
Back Straps or New Yorks "loins along the spine"

Biltong
Every large long muscle
Inside Round "Silverside"
Sirloins "Top side"

Stew or Grind "poekie"
Everything else "Neck"
Shanks, shins, etc.

butcher-meat-diagram-2.jpg

Took me forever to figure out what a buddy was on about when he said "Silverside"

Good luck hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carcass weight on a mature animal should vary from 75kg for a female to about 140 for a nice bull. From the hindquarters you can leave the inside fillets whole. The stripped loin (backstrap) can be cut into 1 cm medallions, tenderize and crumb them for scnitzels. The rump can be cut into slightly thicker slices, pan fry them using the same spice you use for biltong and marinade with coke and worchestire sauce, do them medium rare.
Topside can be cut into cubes for goulash. It also makes good kebabs when well matured and marinated.
Silverside cut biltong.
Thickflank can be used as a roast, stuffed with fatty pork.

Forequarters:
Bolo cut chillibites
Shin , neck,chuck and brisket for stewing meat.
All offcuts for boerewors or drywors.
Venison ribs should be deboned, meat used for wors, bnes can be cooked of for pies,or just be kept as dog treats.

Another resource in a hidden spot I had not found yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg