Wild Quail Cancellation Hunt Huge Savings

Looks like a great time had by all.

Thanks for posting the video.

R.

Ridgewalker is still down there. I left him in the very capable hands of my lead guide. They apparently really got into them this afternoon.

"They're everywhere! They're everywhere!"
OK, calm down. Plenty of time. Cheek to stock...shoulder to butt...follow through...tail, head, pull the trigger...now how hard is that to do when the ground is exploding in front of you! It's damn hard to do! I'm beginning to wish I had practiced on a crazy quail course before I came.
Yes I should have brought more shells!

"They're everywhere! They're everywhere!"
OK, calm down. Plenty of time. Cheek to stock...shoulder to butt...follow through...tail, head, pull the trigger...now how hard is that to do when the ground is exploding in front of you! It's damn hard to do! I'm beginning to wish I had practiced on a crazy quail course before I came.
Yes I should have brought more shells!
There should be a case of 20 gauge in the barn. If you get short have Justin grab some for you. Also I have a very nice side by side 12 in the basement that you can borrow if you run out of shells and there is several cases of 12 out in the little barn.

Very cool. Grew up in south Texas quail hunting when there were lots of quail around. I know you are having a ball!! Cant beat fresh quail on the grill.

Gizmo, sorry about all the tree limbs I'm shooting off. But it should make it a little clearer shooting for the next guy...:(

Went passed the "bone pile" yesterday and two well haired up coyotes were munching dinner. Fine looking animals! All the big game were mellowed out not paying much attention to us as we drove by (must have seen my shooting?)
Ducks flushed from every pond.
Roadrunners all over the place.
My primary excuse yesterday was the high winds making the birds spooky. Winds in west Texas? How unusual?...NOT!
Dinner of chicken fried venison, mashed potatoes, green beans and one delicious banana pudding with vanilla wafers and whipped cream on top...mmmm comfort food!!!
I snuck a piece of venison to my GSP for a job well done. If you leave out the sandburrs and cactus spikes, he has been in birddog heaven!

Sounds like a wonderful time. It's great to have a wing shooting write up for a change.

+1:A Big Hello:.

Please keep it coming. :A Popcorn:

R.

Gizmo, sorry about all the tree limbs I'm shooting off. But it should make it a little clearer shooting for the next guy...:(
You'd be hard pressed to catch up with the tree limbs I mow down with my scatter gun on a consistent basis. They'll grow back. ;)

You'd be hard pressed to catch up with the tree limbs I mow down with my scatter gun on a consistent basis. They'll grow back. ;)

Don't let Gizmo try and fool you.

He knows which end of that scatter gun to point and birds usually fall when it goes off.

Awesome day! Beautiful sunrise with coffee on the porch all bundled up.
My GSP, Rosco, was an absolute bird finding machine this morning. I also learned how to not take the bad shots through the trees. Only fired 7 rounds, but 5 birds fell. Saw lots more, but I had so much fun watching Rosco it was inconsequential whether or not I ever fired a shot. That dog was just great! I managed to get some pain killer, Trimidal, into him with a piece of venison an hour before we hunted and he was suddenly 5 years younger! Awesome!
(Should have taken some myself!)

IMG_1392.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful Phil! Glad y'all had a good day. Ol Rosco is a great dog and I'm so glad y'all are having fun.

One of, if not the best "cabins" I have ever stayed in! It's bigger than my house! Justin (lead guide) and Michelle (cook, cleaner) have been great! Erik, maybe not!....just kidding ! Awesome place! "I'll be back".

IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil I certainly hope you and Rosco make it back and I look forward to it.

Trying to figure out how to get my wife to come with me for a spring turkey hunt. We have seen tons of Rio Grande turkeys. Seriously at least 1 ton of them! Unfortunately my cell phone doesn't have a telephoto lense or I'd have some great pics of some.
We were also very close to getting a coyote this afternoon, but as usual, they are extremely sneaky.

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG
Another beautiful west Texas day...lots of sun, 20 mph winds...but we again saw lots of game. Mule deer in every pasture of winter wheat. Turkeys including a flock of 20 gobblers.
I'm sitting on the back porch with my wine, cheese, crackers and salami watching the sunset. A coyote started howling and I spot him on the ridge where a 200 yard target is set up! Suddenly there are howls from every direction. Rosco is getting nervous now.
And of course a small covey of quail is at the corner of the fenced in yard. I'm a little sad now because I have to leave in the morning. I guess all good things eventually have to become only another of life's memories and we have to move on to the next step.
Got to check out the spring turkey season here and see if the timing will work for me. Thanks to everyone who has vicariously followed my thread with Rosco, my old GSP, and the excellent folks at Gizmo's Rockin G Ranch. It has been a wonderful experience!
Don't waste a minute of your short precious life because you will regret it when it's too late.
Good night.

Phil I'm glad you and Rosco dog enjoyed it. I really hope to get to hunt with you again and watching your ol hound was wonderful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.