Wild bulls of the NZ bush

Ben, when i first arrived on the East Coast i found a number of Man-made platforms built up in trees over the top of game-trails leading in to water.
When i questioned my T.O's about it they told me they would use them to gather Red beef.

Someone would sit up on the platform with a handmade spear and drive it in when a Red bull walked underneath.
These were more "modern", yet hand-made, spears usually fashioned from an old chainsaw bar.
"Him Bullocky spear" !

Old mate was placed in the "machan" and picked up a few days later, sometimes successful, sometimes not. When they were successful, obviously, the platform was the safest place to be.
lol really that makes sense & that is where our Red Bulls moved up from over the last 15-20yrs

We had a Tin shed stacked to the roof with all types of spears & weapons from Cold Steel testing, they would help those guys out, I think they all got stolen went Matt pasted away be like Russia leaving Ukrainian & a type of Arms Race if that had happen 50-80yrs before !

I remember the Tribes/Clans fighting with spears in the 70's still over on the Vic River side, would have been real wild out East back then !!

For the adventurous, "can-do" type hunter who wants to test his survival, bushman skills there are some monsterous feral bulls living in the sparse, remote country of Central Australia.
The Musgrave and Macdonald Ranges harbor bulls that live in relative peace in areas that are extremely difficult to access, and as a result many die of old age.

There are some "Jaws" sized wild bulls in this region.

We have some feral cattle here, USA as well. A young man I met on my first safari has a ranch in northern California. He told me he kept a 338 Lapua in his truck which he used to shoot them.
I have also read about feral cattle hunting in south Texas. But nowhere here has the unbelievable quantities that Australia has! It looks like a fun and exciting time hunting them.

A couple of stories, sorry no pics.

#1. I was in camp and preparing to go out to a scenic location to film a short spiel on the hunts i offered in order to have a video playing at our stall in Dallas Safari Club.
Clean clothes, video camera, rifle (just in case) and "script".
We were only planning to go local, to a picturesque billabong as back-round and make it quick.
Just as i was leaving my Jungai (Headman) was driving in to camp and pulled us up to see what we were doing as he was always up for something new.
When i explained what we were doing he started "NO, no, no, I'll take you somewhere really nice " and managed to talk me out of a ten minute drive and in to a two hour drive.

Henry's planned destination was a series of springs surrounded by palms, water and greenery, an area that i was not unfamiliar with as i had experienced a serious charge by a buffalo in the same area a year prior.

Just short of where we could get the water as back-round for filming Henry spotted three Red bulls standing nervously in a small patch of scrub just off the side of the track 60 odd yards away.
"Bullocky, bullocky, look, bullocky choot-em, choot-em, yelled Henry"

Stepping from the truck i loaded my Lott and gained a few yards to the nearest sapling that provided some aiming support. Taking aim on the best target i squeezed off and he dropped to the shot. Henry was yelling in the back-round for me to get another one so i took aim on the next best target and dropped that one too.
As i extracted that second round i noticed my first target trying to stand up again so i gave him another, just as the second bull was trying to regain his feet as well and gave him another as well.

I now had an empty gun and was approaching the bulls gather rounds from my culling belt as i went and feeding my rifle while keeping my eyes on the bulls.

By now i had advanced on the two bulls, laying on the ground close together, and was standing there having fed my final two cartridges in to the magazine of my Lott when the last bull again attempted to stand. I was about to fire when it fell over dead, finished.

It wasn't until we had checked for sings of life when i went to empty my rifle and prepare to field-dress the carnage and i found that the last two cartridges i had fed in to my Lott were in fact .375 H&H's and not Lott that had been mixed up on my culling belt ????????????????

Anyway, i ended up filming our "Promo" video covered in dirt, blood and sporting a few knife wounds on my hands that day and a truck full of Red beef for the locals.

Henry always had that ability to "change" my plans !!!

Story two to follow.

#2,

It was the end of my season, all clients had gone and i had a few weeks before thing of departing for home.

Traditionally, Henry and i would spend a bit of time at the end of each season, hunting for Beef, fishing, exploring new areas and just generally messing about.

Rolling in to camp one afternoon, Henry proclaimed the community needed beef desperately and we should do a trip down to Waikipa.
Now, i have to say that generally i would jump at an excuse to go down there as it was so remote, the fishing and mud-crabbing was superb as was the hunting. The major down side was that although it was "only" 80 odd kilometers away, those 80 k's generally took four to five hours of rough bush-track driving and the blind hope of not doing any major breaks or getting bogged down in the multiple water-way crossings.
To make the drive worthwhile Henry agreed to go for a few days as opposed to just going straight down and back again and this made the trip a little more practical for me.

We would go and stay until we had some beef.

Well, the trip down as stressful as ever. Rough, slow driving, multiple wash-outs etc etc.

Finally, after a number of hours of driving we arrived at the remote outpost and began to make ourselves at home.

Waikipa is a very remote Coastal outstation consisting of a small number of homes situated on the beach, one dune back from the foreshore.
None of the houses are permenantly occupied, in fact i never went down there when someone else was there.

On this particular trip Henry and i had set up our swags, built a fire pit and had had some dinner awaiting for the Sun to go down.

An hour or more atfer the Sun had gone down we heard the tell-tale sound of calling of a Red bull down on the beach. Just as the first bull sounded we heard two other bulls calling from quite close to us in the dark right in the middle of the outstation, on their way to the beach.

Waiting for the pair of bulls to crest the final dune we quietly loaded the vehicle, readied the .375 and hooked up the spotlight.
Henry was to operate the spotlight and i was to drive and do the "tapping".

Once we were ready i floored the gas and flew over the crest of the dune, the spotlight wildly dancing in the sky and everywhere else but where it was meant to be.
Henry had a lot of trouble correlating the fact that the light needed to be aimed at what you wanted to be looking at !@%$#@.

By the time he worked out how to shine it the light showed three enormous bulls, standing together about 100yds out, ready to take off, and alert.
Lining up on the biggest i managed to drop him on the spot, the second took two and in a matter of a few short moments we had a TON of beef sitting on the beach.

I was staggered at their size as both bulls were huge.

Henry sat by in relative comfort of the truck front seat as i spent the majority of the rest of the night dressing the bulls down in to manageable pieces.

It took quite an effort to get my truck off that beach that night as the rear end was sagging badly under the weight of the meat in the back.

We got a couple of hours sleep and then packed up and drove back to "town" early the next morning before daylight, in order for the meat to not spoil.

What a sight we made as we drove in to the community the next day with legs, heads etc poking up out of the back of the tray of my truck !!!

Good times, but hard work !

For the adventurous, "can-do" type hunter who wants to test his survival, bushman skills there are some monsterous feral bulls living in the sparse, remote country of Central Australia.
The Musgrave and Macdonald Ranges harbor bulls that live in relative peace in areas that are extremely difficult to access, and as a result many die of old age.

There are some "Jaws" sized wild bulls in this region.
Is that the MacDonnell ranges near Alice?

#2,

It was the end of my season, all clients had gone and i had a few weeks before thing of departing for home.

Traditionally, Henry and i would spend a bit of time at the end of each season, hunting for Beef, fishing, exploring new areas and just generally messing about.

Rolling in to camp one afternoon, Henry proclaimed the community needed beef desperately and we should do a trip down to Waikipa.
Now, i have to say that generally i would jump at an excuse to go down there as it was so remote, the fishing and mud-crabbing was superb as was the hunting. The major down side was that although it was "only" 80 odd kilometers away, those 80 k's generally took four to five hours of rough bush-track driving and the blind hope of not doing any major breaks or getting bogged down in the multiple water-way crossings.
To make the drive worthwhile Henry agreed to go for a few days as opposed to just going straight down and back again and this made the trip a little more practical for me.

We would go and stay until we had some beef.

Well, the trip down as stressful as ever. Rough, slow driving, multiple wash-outs etc etc.

Finally, after a number of hours of driving we arrived at the remote outpost and began to make ourselves at home.

Waikipa is a very remote Coastal outstation consisting of a small number of homes situated on the beach, one dune back from the foreshore.
None of the houses are permenantly occupied, in fact i never went down there when someone else was there.

On this particular trip Henry and i had set up our swags, built a fire pit and had had some dinner awaiting for the Sun to go down.

An hour or more atfer the Sun had gone down we heard the tell-tale sound of calling of a Red bull down on the beach. Just as the first bull sounded we heard two other bulls calling from quite close to us in the dark right in the middle of the outstation, on their way to the beach.

Waiting for the pair of bulls to crest the final dune we quietly loaded the vehicle, readied the .375 and hooked up the spotlight.
Henry was to operate the spotlight and i was to drive and do the "tapping".

Once we were ready i floored the gas and flew over the crest of the dune, the spotlight wildly dancing in the sky and everywhere else but where it was meant to be.
Henry had a lot of trouble correlating the fact that the light needed to be aimed at what you wanted to be looking at !@%$#@.

By the time he worked out how to shine it the light showed three enormous bulls, standing together about 100yds out, ready to take off, and alert.
Lining up on the biggest i managed to drop him on the spot, the second took two and in a matter of a few short moments we had a TON of beef sitting on the beach.

I was staggered at their size as both bulls were huge.

Henry sat by in relative comfort of the truck front seat as i spent the majority of the rest of the night dressing the bulls down in to manageable pieces.

It took quite an effort to get my truck off that beach that night as the rear end was sagging badly under the weight of the meat in the back.

We got a couple of hours sleep and then packed up and drove back to "town" early the next morning before daylight, in order for the meat to not spoil.

What a sight we made as we drove in to the community the next day with legs, heads etc poking up out of the back of the tray of my truck !!!

Good times, but hard work !
You get all the fun Paul

Mixture of private and public land but all permit access.
meaties....................
Ruger RSI 7-08
zwy0G6.jpg

Chris 7-08
mXwuJc.jpg

thumper Cliff 9.3x62
Icdgp9.jpg

338-06 185 GMX's
giVx7q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More ripping bulls Mick, well done (y)

Heres Chris moving in on a problem bull on a station. Trouble mustering him with the chopper so got the go ahead to take him.
Chris moving in.
WdEqQv.jpg

lining him up Thomas Blissett 500 nitro 400gr woodie
dyEaLF.jpg
ni6h2e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
we lose several farmers a year due to bull and cow attacks, because they forget for a few minutes that they can be very dangerous and get goered-stomped to death. one lady was taking pictures of them in a field and one attacked her from behind, she didn,t even see the one that killed her. the bull even had blood on his back as he must have rolled on her, the bull was shot.

I would be extremely proud to have his head on the wall and hide on the floor. Scrub or wild bulls are so underrated as trophies and yet so far up the scale of DG. I'm hoping this post will perk some interest towards them as a respectable and worthy choice with buffs and other bovines. The next time I go into the bush where there are wild ones like those, I'll be carrying a 404J with 450gr Woodleigh Weldcores @ 2300fps.

Yes as trophies they are great.
Tough going to stalk and drop!
I found the neat did not have any fat but was sure tough.

Yes as trophies they are great.
Tough going to stalk and drop!
I found the neat did not have any fat but was sure tough.
I think with all wild red meat it needs to be hung in a cool room for a minimum of overnight and longer the better. When venison is hung properly the outside goes black and the inside a deep red. Venison is very low fat and I used to add pork fat to the mince for making sausages. No meat on an animal needs to be discarded, apart from around the bullet damage, it all minces up and makes great sausages or just rissoles. I cooked up the offal as well, with kidneys soaked in water and a little vinegar overnight, but not wild pigs, they carry a lot of diseases.

Heres Chris moving in on a problem bull on a station. Trouble mustering him with the chopper so got the go ahead to take him.
Chris moving in.

lining him up Thomas Blissett 500 nitro 400gr woodie

Those woodies sure get around. Bet that spoiled the uncooperative one's afternoon. I can see Chris enjoyed his work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross