Wild bulls of the NZ bush

A young bull surprised at close range when out looking for buffalo, early season.
These are the situations that can turn to crap quite quickly.

Boar_0008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This bull is one of the biggest bodied bulls ive seen.

Taken at last light, he absorbed several .416's and a couple of .375's.
All well placed.

DSCN2530.jpg

An up-and-coming bull only a couple of years from making a great Trophy.

Boar_0022.jpg

A bit of "camera-flinch" showing here, as i was quite close and was feeling a little vulnerable clutching the camera instead of my gun.

Arnhem Land 090.jpg

i shot the free range herford that could not be caught to be butcherd, i used a marlin 95 in 45-70 with a 405 hard cast bullet at 2000 fps. the shot was taken at about 85 yards with a between the eyes shot. it went down so fast i didn,t see it fall as the rifles recoil was heavy.

DSCN1179 (2).JPG

i shot the free range herford that could not be caught to be butcherd, i used a marlin 95 in 45-70 with a 405 hard cast bullet at 2000 fps. the shot was taken at about 85 yards with a between the eyes shot. it went down so fast i didn,t see it fall as the rifles recoil was heavy.

View attachment 408427
Great meat-saving shot leslie !

Dad and I cleaned out a small herd of Durham and Hereford crosses an elderly gentleman had let run feral and then after his passing his son simply let go. The bull dressed and quartered weighed over eight hundred. 45-70 300grain Hornady hollowpoint on top of 3.4ccs (43.5grains) of imr4198 in the first vertebrae of his neck. Picture is of his skull before euro mounting.

that bull moved as quiet as a deer an he was first or second generation feral. I can’t imagine how the ones you gentleman are dealing with being multi generational feral can move.

684A4267-1AD8-4F6B-84A2-95F461DA26B4.jpeg

The closest match to the Zebu strain I could find is the Droughtmaster although the one in the pic is very light and lacks the Brahman features. I wonder what this one was crossed with ?
I really can't say with any authority.
This specific region of Arnhemland, the Arafura Swamp, does tend to produce bulls with a lot of Bos Indicus traits as opposed to other Arnhemland regions i have hunted which tend to exhibit Bos Torus traits.

Why this is so i'm an not totally sure but i can assure you that they are as wild as wild can be and when not respected can do an awefull lot of damage to the human body.

I arrived at my buffalo camp one season to a story told to me by my Traditional Owners where a local Man went out hunting Red beef. A shot was placed on an animal and it went down, but not out.
The animal was approached with undue caution.
The animal got up and charged. The defensive shots were not enough to kill the animal until it had done a tremendous amount of damage to the unfortunate Man who had to be airlifted out of the region. He survived but not without many long lasting complications.
There are many stories like this around in Arnhemland involving both buffalo and wild bulls.

Sort of not the NZ Wild Bull theme of the original poster but I see he said post some so I had a bit of a dig but can't find a lot of the good ones I was after & most of my NZ ones are on film & no time to take photos of these ones alive, but I dug a few out .

Scrub Bull in Cane Grass CU.JPG

Scrub Bull Black - Hereford .JPG

Scrub Bull Black .JPG

Scrub Bulls fighting .JPG

Very Nice Scrub Bull.JPG

I saw this Bull again when I had a hunter & we took him, I think it was a year later ?

Last edited:
Sort of not the NZ Wild Bull theme of the original poster but I see he said post some so I had a bit of a dig but can't find a lot of the good ones I was after & most of my NZ ones are on film & no time to take photos of these ones alive, but I dug a few out .

View attachment 408481
View attachment 408482
View attachment 408483
View attachment 408484
View attachment 408485

I saw this Bull again when I had a hunter & we took him, I think it was a year later ?
1, 2 & 3 pics look very much like the fighting black bulls of the Camarague, esp #3.
p.s. I'll take any photos of wild bulls you have !

Great pics Sarg.

I'd like to let the air out of the second bull, big time.

View attachment 408481
View attachment 408482
View attachment 408483
View attachment 408484
View attachment 408485

I would be extremely proud to have his head on the wall and hide on the floor. Scrub or wild bulls are so underrated as trophies and yet so far up the scale of DG. I'm hoping this post will perk some interest towards them as a respectable and worthy choice with buffs and other bovines. The next time I go into the bush where there are wild ones like those, I'll be carrying a 404J with 450gr Woodleigh Weldcores @ 2300fps.

Last edited:
I would be extremely proud to have his head on the wall and hide on the floor. Scrub or wild bulls are so underrated as trophies and yet so far up the scale of DG. I'm hoping this post will perk some interest towards them as a respectable and worthy choice with buffs and other bovines. The next time I go into the bush where there are wild ones like those, I'll be carrying a 404J with 450gr Woodleigh Weldcores @ 2300fps.
Yes, they do make interesting and unique Trophies.
Tony's pictures 2008. 092.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg