Wife Advice

NEHunter

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Going on my first safari to Namibia in September for plains game. My wife, who doesn’t hunt, is going along. She says she wants to hunt with me but not shoot. Any general advice on making the hunt memorable and enjoyable for both of us?

Binocular and camera - make sure she has good quality examples of both. Take a couple of days away from hunting and go to Etosha and/or Swakopmund.

That will be exciting for sure! I have not been to Africa but my wife likes to come hunting with me for bear every year. I really enjoy the fact that she likes to come along and I love to share the experience with her. I think it’s all good man! Enjoy!

You'll enjoy Namibia! Same situation with my wife. Involve her as much as you can and she wants in the hunt. We took a camera and my wife was head photographer. Ask your PH if she can go on stalks with you if the situation allows - take pics or video when possible. Plan a two day side-trip to Erindi Reserve. Great photo opportunities there - and you can see/photograph all of the big 5 in the park. A sun downer there is awesome too. Alternatively, go to the Namib Dessert & coast if she'd rather shop. A good PH will make her feel welcome and part of the adventure.

As @Red Leg said camera and binoculars. She could be your videographer. Make sure she practices with whatever equipment you choose to take.

Couple of things to make sure. One, that she is fine with getting up before dawn. Two, using the bathroom in the bush. Warn her of snakes as well.

If she is coming I'd also make sure there are a couple of rolls of her favorite TP in the luggage.

First safari? Leave here home and send her to Vegas with a girlfriend. You can thank me for the advice you didn't take after the hunt. Second hunt, you'll know the drill and be able to make adjustments.
a-outta.gif

3rd on @Red Leg . Ann went with me both times. She broke her arm 4 months before we left on the first safari. Her incentive to heal and go through PT was a new Nikon DSLR with multiple zoom lenses. She took 3500 photos in 12 days of hunting and fishing. Oh, and she caught the biggest Tiger Fish. High Quality Lenses are critical - her editing and ability to zoom and crop in iPhoto was amazing - Zebra 150 yards away and after zooming and cropping you see the face, mane, and detail in the stripes.

My non hunting wife went with me on my first safari in Zim. She rode along the first day and most evenings. Otherwise she stayed in camp and photographed animals. On the ride alongs, she’d photograph and observe animals.
Get your PH’s opinion. There may be things to do that you’re not aware of.

My wife, a non-hunter just accompanied me to Limpopo. She had a nice pair of binoculars on a harness with a wide FOV and a very nice camera. She became very interested in trying to get photos of animals before they spooked or were shot. She made an effort to not be “loud” or “swishy” during stalks. She accompanied us on every stalk we took. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. She still doesn’t want to shoot an animal but I think she enjoyed trying to sneak into position for “the shot” and gained an appreciation for hunting that she didn’t have before.

Binocular and camera - make sure she has good quality examples of both. Take a couple of days away from hunting and go to Etosha and/or Swakopmund.

Good advice. My wife started as the photographer and now does more shooting than I do. Suits me fine as I’d much rather shoot buffalo than plains game.

Spend some time with her in a stand near a water hole. Bring a book or a kindle, some water, snacks etc, and enjoy. It's a good way to spend the first day when you are still a bit jet lagged. You'll both get to see lots of animals and you can shoot a warthog or something so she can experience a kill and see how she feels about it. I was blessed with a wife who hunted, but not everyone (men or women) have it in them to kill or watch animals be killed. And as Red Leg suggested, do some non-hunting stuff with her.

Stop a lot and just watch all the critters, target species or not.
Have a knowledgable PH that shares information about the birds, bugs, plants, geography, etc.
Camera hunting can be just as challenging as rifle hunting.

When she comes along on a stalk and screws it up, as every rookie does, DO NOT GET PISSED OFF. Chill out and try again.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

Exactly what I did with my wife on the first Safari. She manager to take some 1400 pictures on a 7 day hunt.

Going on my first safari to Namibia in September for plains game. My wife, who doesn’t hunt, is going along. She says she wants to hunt with me but not shoot. Any general advice on making the hunt memorable and enjoyable for both of us?
As long as she likes to hike and travel in the back of the bakkie all will be fine!
Have a great trip!

mine has been with me on both trips over to the dark continent. she aint a shooter but is a ranch raised girl and loves being in the wild. 1st trip in 2018 she took over 5k pics in 7 days and that got her started on a new photography hobby that could potentially cost as much as my hunting but she loves it and is good at it and I'm glad she went.
went to Cameroon early this year and it was a brutal trip traveling during covid, but she did fine. i would strongly recommend giving everyone on the other side a heads up that your significant other is coming and what you expect for her. we did in cameroon and it was fine but they did say they rarely had women in camp and did make a few changes on the ladies behalf. have fun!

My wife is a non hunter as well. I went by myself to Mozambique in 2014 but my wife went to South Africa with me in 2018 and she said I was never going by myself again she enjoyed it so much! Needless to say I haven’t and we just returned from another great hunt and she is already talking about our next trip. So it may work out in your favor! Take a good camera and a video camera and maybe a good bird book to identify new birds.

my wife is my favorite hunting buddy,has hunted with me on all our trips to africa,5 times and the lower 48 and alaska,wouldnt have it any other way.weve always had a great time together.also,she can out shoot me 9 out of ten times.all trophies are in the house as some are hers.

my wife is my favorite hunting buddy,has hunted with me on all our trips to africa,5 times and the lower 48 and alaska,wouldnt have it any other way.weve always had a great time together.also,she can out shoot me 9 out of ten times.all trophies are in the house as some are hers.

What he said!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you