Why the high trophy fee for Waterbucks?

Waterbuck is one of my favorites, I shot one in 2009 which measures 30,7 in , I paid 1.232 € for it.

I find the price reasonable.

Having shot two waterbuck, I am with the original poster. They are a very neat animal with unique headgear, but pretty expensive to hunt. I have my two and won't need another anytime in the foreseeable future.

I think the waterbuck is a great trophy.I shot one around 30" and will not take another but glad to have the chance at the one i got.It is on the list for my son though.He thought it was a great trophy animal.Very beautiful animal in the wild and was very fun stalking him on the hillside.I think hard for most people to take a wtaerbuck for the dollar since a kudu is even more beautiful and normally cheaper then what most charge for a waterbuck

Agree with Eric here. I lost the first waterbuck I ever shot at in RSA in 2009. Only thing we could figure was a high chest shot above the lungs and below the backbone. The shot knocked him down but up he got and off he went. Bullet was a pass thru but quickly dried up. Late in the day so we bagged it till next morning but never found him. Painful! I did get one in Zim this past summer and the fee was $1500 US.
I have no problem with the price....as long as it isn't over $2400 US dollars. To me they are priced antelope, elegant and beautiful. To get one over 28 inches, takes a lot of time hunting or good luck. For me personally, I think they are notch just below kudu, as far as must have in Southern Africa. To me, the waterbucks shot in the 24 + inch range...the trophy fee is usually too much, but it's a law of supply and demand. But the price for a heavy 28 + incher is well in line of the other game.

Yes, I think the bushbuck and nyala are pretty...and to get one with really long horns takes time and hunting the right area were habitat is favorable for them. And they are a way different hunt, than hunting waterbuck. Waterbuck can fill a whole pick up truck back up. A bushbuck or nyala are a lot smaller. Make a error in judgement, when shooting a waterbuck and you will never find him. A bushbuck or nyala can be shot with a 270 Win and they are not going anywhere fast.

I think waterbuck are pretty adaptive to their environment, where the nyala can't be transplanted everywhere.

Thanks Scott, I don't get people getting worked up over waterbuck trophy fees at all, I just mounted mine from RSA on the wall, last night, and all I can think is WOW, WHAT A BEAST!

The Water buck is another animal that keeps going up in price. It must be supply & demand as well as the time to grow big ones. That is the one animal which was my achilles heel last time I went to Africa - the one animal I really wanted and never got!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross