Why doesn't the .500 Jeffery get the love of that the .505 Gibbs does on this forum?

postoak

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patriot Life member Benefactor Level
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
The .500 Jeffery seems like the eminently more practical cartridge since it can be built on a regular old long action receiver.
Plus, they seem to cost about $1000 less.
And ballistically, there isn't a dime's worth of difference.

Moderator, please correct the typo in the title. I don't think I can.

I'm glad to hear that. Do you remember what the Sako weighed? Did you have any feeding problems like you hear about with the Gibbs?

I’m gonna tag along on this one. Been wondering the same thing for a while.

Does seem kind of odd given the love the .404 Jeffery gets, lol. Maybe it just hasn't been mentioned as much of late?

I'm glad to hear that. Do you remember what the Sako weighed? Did you have any feeding problems like you hear about with the Gibbs?

No feeding problems whatsoever! Actually the best feeding in a rifle I’ve experienced (some good rifles I’ve owned had little glitches with feeding that needed a gunsmith to rectify or mindfulness about cartridge positioning in the magazine). The Sako was light, too light, but the rifle was extremely handy. Mostly I had no problem with it, especially with adrenaline, but I was born with a rare and annoying genetic condition that got a bit worse and caused me a few moments when I didn’t enjoy shooting it. With improved medical treatment of my condition I wouldn’t be opposed to another .500 Jeffery in a heavier rifle (but my wife may disagree!). If I were to get another big five-oh-something, I would prefer the Jeffery cartridge over the Gibbs, not for any good reason except for my own nostalgia - I had great adventures with that rifle.

Well, the .505 Gibbs has 178 gr. water capacity and the .500 Jeffery has "only" 158 gr. water capacity. So I guess if the .500 Jeffery isn't powerful enough for you, then that would be one reason to go for it over the Jeffery, but I'd be satisfied with what the Jeffery offers in exchange for $1000 lower cost and more reliable feeding.

Historically speaking, and notwithstanding BenKK's positive experience with the Sako, the .500 Jeffery suffered very problematic feeding in the standard length and standard width K98 Mauser military action, on which rifles were built in England when Rigby had exclusive rights to the magnum length actions.
These feeding problems were such that most British gun makers ended up building single stack magazines for the .500 Jeffery. This either resulted in a 3 round rifle (including one in the chamber), or a very long and unsightly (in the period's thinking) magazine extension in front of the trigger guard.
These issues are resolved in longer and wider (width is the most important issue) actions than the standard K98 Mauser (e.g. Sako, CZ 550, etc.) but the .500 Jeff remains a rebated rim cartridge for which it will always be more difficult (read time-consuming, read expensive) to fine-tune the feeding.
From another perspective, now that the affordable and cavernous CZ 550 magnum action is out of production, and will soon dry out off the market, I expect that darn few gunsmiths will take the pain to build .505 Gibbs rifles on available actions (the Win 70 action and clones come to mind), so the .500 Jeff may by default regain prominence as the .505 will become again a very expensive proposition on .416-length magnum Mauser actions, or Granite Mountain Arms and similar custom actions...

Last edited:
I looked up the specs on the Sako. It weighs 9.9 pounds. I don't think I'd want to shoot a .500 Jeffery in that weight. A scope could get that to over 11 pounds, but what scopes have a track record for handling that kind of recoil? Any?

Leupold are known for being able to take recoil.. I had a light for calibre .458Win. that I shot extensively...no scope problem...and presently building a .500 Jeff. Might try to scope it..

Leupold are known for being able to take recoil.. I had a light for calibre .458Win. that I shot extensively...no scope problem...and presently building a .500 Jeff. Might try to scope it..

Make sure you use a 4" plus eye relief scope that will stand up to the recoil.

Make sure you use a 4" plus eye relief scope that will stand up to the recoil.
I usually try to find the scope with the most eye relief and mount it as far forward as possible as a general rule. On the big calibers that should be a given IMO

I usually try to find the scope with the most eye relief and mount it as far forward as possible as a general rule. On the big calibers that should be a given IMO

Also important to ensure it is tested and guaranteed to that recoil level as well. Luckily we have such a scope available to us in SA. It also comes with just the right reticle for DG hunting.

Lynx LX3 1-6x24

Recoil tested on .450 Rigby and .505 Gibbs amongst others, LX3 1-6x24 is suitable for everyday use on any bush veld calibre. The reticle, usually the most fragile component in any rifle scope and the most likely component to fail under severe or bi‐directional recoil, is 6mm thick glass which means it is for all practical purposes indestructible. The 30mm thick-walled scope tube is contoured specifically to fit over long actions and, when the scope is correctly mounted and proper shooting posture is observed, the 100mm-plus eye relief will make sure that a safe distance is maintained between your brow and the scope eyepiece at all times.

German No.4 Reticle with Illuminated Dot
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.35.59 AM.png

Thick outer bars lead the eye to the centre finer cross, which has a tiny illuminated aiming point. The centre opening can be used to bracket a fast moving target for snap-shooting while the bold outer posts are easily visible against mottled shadow vegetation, even in poor light.

Last edited by a moderator:
lvW..did you Scope Your .500 Jeff..?

Yes I have used this scope on it while I was experimenting with it for PG hunting. For DG hunting however I use only the open sights.

I am currently looking at having a Ghost ring sight made or fitted as it is faster to use than the express sights.

Yes I have used this scope on it while I was experimenting with it for PG hunting. For DG hunting however I use only the open sights.

I am currently looking at having a Ghost ring sight made or fitted as it is faster to use than the express sights.

I am doing the exact same thing...got hold of a one off ghost ring that fit the grooves on the ZKK 602 action..

I am doing the exact same thing...got hold of a one off ghost ring that fit the grooves on the ZKK 602 action..

Can you give some more info regarding the Ghost ring you mention

Can you give some more info regarding the Ghost ring you mention

It is presently at my gunsmiths, but will take photos and forward them..

cz5500.jpg

I looked at this one just not sure if the base will interfere with the quick sight acquisition, I do like the protection it offers to the Ghost ring itself.

You can also order different size apertures which is great as I would go with the biggest one

Attachments

• cz5500.jpg
    cz5500.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 104

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois