Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
What prompts you to sell a gun? Perhaps it is the itch to get something new and something else has got to go. Maybe that is because of a space limit, or you have a maximum number you want to stick to? Or maybe you have just fallen out of love with that particular gun and you just want it gone. Perhaps is gave you trouble, or it didn't live up to expectation generally?
Whatever it is there seems to be a reasonable turnover there in the USA. Here selling is easier than buying, it can take 6 months or more to replace a gun.

At first I thought that I've never sold a firearm but upon a bit of reflection I guess I have. I have sold at auction some rifles and shotguns because they were never being used, old Damascus barrelled shotguns, a russian target 22 rimfire and a 22 rimfire six shooter which was a POS. Non the less I managed to get three times what I initially paid for it because more than one bidder liked it. None of what I have sold were high end items, even with my pedestrian standards.

I will sell them because I'm getting old.

Most of my family is not into hunting or even shooting so when I decide to downsize a little I'll place one or two on consignment at a gun shop. So far I have been able to either double or triple my money by selling them and by using the gun shop I don't have any of the headaches of selling them and I don't mind the 15% consignment fee.

However I still drool over a few firearms that I can see in my future

I will sell them because I'm getting old.

Most of my family is not into hunting or even shooting so when I decide to downsize a little I'll place one or two on consignment at a gun shop. So far I have been able to either double or triple my money by selling them and by using the gun shop I don't have any of the headaches of selling them and I don't mind the 15% consignment fee.

However I still drool over a few firearms that I can see in my future
Out with the old, in with the new.

I confess to being a strange animal, I just like one! Ok, ok, before you shout heresy, off with his head I didn't say I wouuldn't have just one. I have enough affection for a few, but no more than one of each type. My ideal arsenal is looking to be a double for buff, a scoped single (my beloved Ruger No1 375) for everything else, a shottie (yet to come) and my FX PCP air rifle. That covers every eventuality, the kids can have the rest.

What prompts you to sell a gun?

I heard there is a modern myth on internet that some people are sometimes selling their guns. :E Confused:
I suppose it is just another urban legend.:unsure:

I never experienced such thing.

you have great taste in air rifles!
Aye, here it is, I went for the upgraded stock and put a Swarovski Z5 turret on it. This thing is millimetrically accurate out to it's effective 100 metres.

FB8FCADC-2BE3-47EE-BD11-539BC4284674.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t shot them in many years and/or because my rifle/cartridge/caliber interests change, so I’ll sell some to continue to finance my addiction? And now, somebody else can spend THEIR time and energy trying to find ammo for them. Ha! Ha! Ha!

I never ever sold a rifle....

Every rifle I own is a part of my very personal history.

Whenever I look into my gun safe(s), memories appear and stories can be told.

And the very best is,.... I never ever regretted selling a rifle. :cool:

HWL

I’ve sold guns for three reasons:
- I was disappointed in quality (but not accuracy) - CZ455 (replaced with Cooper Jackson Squirrel),
- I wasn’t using them as I preferred different ones - H&K SFP9, Walther Q5, G19, H&K SP5K, Blaser 22-250 barrel,
-I was dumb - Leica scoped Weatherby/Anschutz Mk XXII bolt action 17HMR. I will never stop kicking myself about this one.

Why do I sell firearms...

Mostly the reason is that I have grown. We all get older and hopefully wiser along the way. As I've continued on my journey, my tastes have evolved and changed. Add to that new interests like hunting Africa or any other type specialized type of hunting. And possibly loosing interest in things that once amused me.

I've never felt a sentimental connection to a firearm, car or any other inanimate object. I have what I need and when I'm done with a particular interest, the item will continue on its journey, as will I. I also understand that I'm in the overwhelming minority on this subject. It may seem cold hearted, but I doubt any of the firearms I've sold are upset about parting ways. And I'm also happy to see that firearm spark interest in others and bring them joy. Maybe that's the hidden secret of selling a firearm is seeing others enjoy what you once did.

No regrets in life, there is only what you learn from the decisions you choose to make.

Medical bills, the guns are gone, but I am not. Some might say it should be the other way around.

I see a lot of reasons listed that are familiar to me. Age and phases of interest sometimes. I've had two major sell offs over the years.

The first liquidation was because of moving, needing the money and had accumulated a bunch of middle-of-the-road, sounded-good-at-the-time odds and ends. Didn't loose any money, didn't make any money.

The second was because of age and changing interests. This group included some really good stuff. Not elite stuff but very collectible and focused types and calibers. None of these were dust collectors. Bore condition and mechanical soundness were my priority when selecting them because I wanted to learn how to load and shoot these to gain historical perspective and knowledge. I focused on Old West, primarily Winchesters, Colts and Sharps. I got a huge kick and education out of the journey. I used Mike Venturino's information a lot and found it to be invaluable. A couple of times he went through the same evolution, sell off some components, I would grab them and start over. From that era, down to a single Winchester 94- only because it was my first hunting rifle.

Now down to a small handful of serious, 100% reliable hunting rifles- nothing expensive nor fancy. A nice 52D Winchester Sporter 22rf, a Glock, a cheap single shot shotgun, and a selection of original military muskets spanning from about the 1840s through the 1860s. Shooting the old muzzleloaders and the serious hunting rifles takes up most of my range time these days. I haven't tabulated exactly how many guns went down the river during the two downsizings but at least a couple of hundred. :)

I have sold guns for a number of reasons:
1) sheer stupidity, those I want back!
2) to buy my wife’s engagement ring (38 years and going strong!)
3) safe queens that I just don’t use and would like to see someone else enjoying.

Eons ago I sold guns to pay the rent. Now if one is sitting in the safe collecting dust and has no family attachment, it will eventually be sold. As other have posted, tastes change, age creeps up on us and guns purchased for certain hunting venues have been experienced and will no longer be used.

Why do I sell firearms...

Mostly the reason is that I have grown. We all get older and hopefully wiser along the way. As I've continued on my journey, my tastes have evolved and changed. Add to that new interests like hunting Africa or any other type specialized type of hunting. And possibly loosing interest in things that once amused me.

I've never felt a sentimental connection to a firearm, car or any other inanimate object. I have what I need and when I'm done with a particular interest, the item will continue on its journey, as will I. I also understand that I'm in the overwhelming minority on this subject. It may seem cold hearted, but I doubt any of the firearms I've sold are upset about parting ways. And I'm also happy to see that firearm spark interest in others and bring them joy. Maybe that's the hidden secret of selling a firearm is seeing others enjoy what you once did.

No regrets in life, there is only what you learn from the decisions you choose to make.
“I’m also happy to see that firearm spark interest in others and bring them joy”. Great philosophy!
And if it’s a young person who wants to buy a firearm I no longer have an interest in to enjoy shooting/hunting, I will do whatever is reasonable to make that happen.

Last edited:
I don’t sell very many. There have been several that I won in raffles that I chose to sell and buy something different. There are some guns just need to go.
Philip

I'm waiting for @TOBY458 to answer...
Can't wait to hear that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg