Why Do Hunters Choose Not To Shoot?

To be honest I prefer to eat the does. Although I quit shooting the matriarchs for the same reason I quit shooting old bucks they are both tough as shoe leather.
I shot a very large doe years ago: field dressed she weighed in at something like 140 lbs. Fat an inch thick on her back and she tasted like an old goat.

Some of the worst eating game animals have been does and cows. You just never know just how they are going to be

Hunting animals, like deer, is often important to keeping their population at a reasonable size. In areas where natural predators are few or nonexistent, the only way to control populations of certain species is through human hunting.

full

Human hunters behave differently from natural predators though. For instance, natural predators aren’t interested in trophy hunting, so they don’t target animals that would look good on their walls. Natural predators also aren’t reluctant to kill the young, whereas human hunters tend to avoid this. And human hunters may make other decisions about what to kill based on factors we don’t really understand.

To understand how these factors might influence prey populations, a group of researchers in Norway, Germany, and the Netherlands published a paper that tries to predict hunter behavior. The peculiarities of human hunting create a distinctive evolutionary pressure. Populations of animals that are hunted by humans are different from those that are hunted by natural predators. Features that are prized as trophies (like large antlers) disappear from the population quickly. And the population may continue growing, precisely because mothers with young are often left undisturbed.

So although hunting can play a role in maintaining ecosystems, we need to understand how human hunters behave. This makes it possible to predict their choices and how those choices will change the population of hunted animals. In turn, this makes it possible to direct conservation policy in a way that ensures the sustainability of the hunted population.

The researchers consider a hypothetical situation in which a hunter is confronted with a deer and has to choose whether to shoot that deer or wait for another one. Many factors are involved in that decision. Obviously, the hunter’s perception of the quality of the animal plays a role. Where deer sightings are rare and the hunter knows they might not see another one, they might be more inclined to shoot a sure thing rather than wait for a better-quality animal. Depending on the region, there might be other constraints, like quotas, the time left in the hunting season, and the competition pressure from other hunters.

The researchers treat all of these factors as an economic problem and plug them into equations that predict how a hunter will respond to different situations. The model predicts that the more competition from other hunters, the fewer days left in the season, and the lower the probability of seeing an animal all increase the likelihood that a hunter will fire rather than wait.

So far, this matches up with common sense, but it’s also entirely hypothetical. People often march cheerfully in a different direction from what models predict, so checking the predictions against real-world data is important. Luckily, hunters in Norway are required by law to report how many hunters went out in a group, how long they hunted, how many deer they saw, and how many they shot. Gathering this data from 256 locations over 10 years provided a solid data set for real-world testing.

The researchers used this data to calculate the probability of a male deer being shot by a hunter in various scenarios. As predicted by the theoretical model, the probability was higher when competition with other hunters was an issue, when days remaining in the season were few, and when there was a lower probability of seeing a deer in the first place.

This recent work doesn’t tackle all questions about individual choices. This research looks at Norway, but other locations may have widely varying pressures—for instance, a region may have no quotas (unlike Norway), or a region may be full of hunters who are pressured to bring home food from a hunt. Hunters who come from different social groups behave differently, too: this data showed a difference between weekend and weekday behavior, suggesting that local hunters who hunt during the week behave differently from non-residents who come in on weekends. Figuring out how different social groups behave would help policymakers to make more accurate predictions.

Right now, models are used to estimate how hunting will affect the size of a population. Population size is an important factor for makers of conservation policy, but “there is increasing concern that hunting, and in particular strongly selective hunting, may have unexpected ecological and evolutionary consequences,” the researchers write.

An analysis like this could help to address the problem of high selectivity among hunters. For instance, by changing the duration of the hunting season or the number of competing hunters, it might be possible to influence the selectivity of the hunters. Just looking at the number of animals shot isn’t enough to inform conservation, the researchers write: “To achieve sustainability, future wildlife management should account for the predictable manner by which social constraints and underlying intuitions shape the emerging selection pattern.”

Download the original paper: How constraints affect the hunter’s decision to shoot a deer. Diekert F K, Richter A, Rivrud I M & Mysterud A. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1607685113

Author: Cathleen O’Grady ARS Technica
I'm sure it affects the quality of the game just like in Africa where the predators cull out the weak and old. Where I hunted on private property for many years, me and my shooting mates left ALL the females alone (breeding stock) and took only spikers, small runty stags and any injured we came across. Apart from the females and very young, we were doing the job similar to predators. Consequently with this management we had an ample supply of venison and the heads of the best stags were the best which we took out rarely. Competition for available food does have a great influence on the health of the herd. What we were doing couldn't be compared with the helicopter venison recovery/export shooters who cleaned out everything that moved, and for some strange reason, their registration letters were hard to read on some hunting block flyovers. There are many forms of management, not all of them are good.

Yep, the “fun” part stops as soon as the animal is down. The rest can be a REAL BITCH! I field dressed an elk cow by myself once, and I really don’t relish ever having to do that again! Fortunately for me, we had horses to haul it out the next day.
It's a breeze if the farmer whose land your shooting on hears the shot and comes over the hill with a quarter draft horse. It's not a breeze when you're up in the hills after a deer and a mob of pigs comes down a gully above the homestead and cleans out the farmer's vegie garden while you're away !.

You know that one slipped my mind. I've actually done that!
You're not the only one ! I once had a nap on a hillside and sometime during the warm afternoon woke up and saw a large pig on the opposite hillside 100m away. Thinking it was a dream went back to sleep. Later I went over to the other hillside and found where the dream pig had been rooting up the ground.

Hunting animals, like deer, is often important to keeping their population at a reasonable size. In areas where natural predators are few or nonexistent, the only way to control populations of certain species is through human hunting.

full

Human hunters behave differently from natural predators though. For instance, natural predators aren’t interested in trophy hunting, so they don’t target animals that would look good on their walls. Natural predators also aren’t reluctant to kill the young, whereas human hunters tend to avoid this. And human hunters may make other decisions about what to kill based on factors we don’t really understand.

To understand how these factors might influence prey populations, a group of researchers in Norway, Germany, and the Netherlands published a paper that tries to predict hunter behavior. The peculiarities of human hunting create a distinctive evolutionary pressure. Populations of animals that are hunted by humans are different from those that are hunted by natural predators. Features that are prized as trophies (like large antlers) disappear from the population quickly. And the population may continue growing, precisely because mothers with young are often left undisturbed.

So although hunting can play a role in maintaining ecosystems, we need to understand how human hunters behave. This makes it possible to predict their choices and how those choices will change the population of hunted animals. In turn, this makes it possible to direct conservation policy in a way that ensures the sustainability of the hunted population.

The researchers consider a hypothetical situation in which a hunter is confronted with a deer and has to choose whether to shoot that deer or wait for another one. Many factors are involved in that decision. Obviously, the hunter’s perception of the quality of the animal plays a role. Where deer sightings are rare and the hunter knows they might not see another one, they might be more inclined to shoot a sure thing rather than wait for a better-quality animal. Depending on the region, there might be other constraints, like quotas, the time left in the hunting season, and the competition pressure from other hunters.

The researchers treat all of these factors as an economic problem and plug them into equations that predict how a hunter will respond to different situations. The model predicts that the more competition from other hunters, the fewer days left in the season, and the lower the probability of seeing an animal all increase the likelihood that a hunter will fire rather than wait.

So far, this matches up with common sense, but it’s also entirely hypothetical. People often march cheerfully in a different direction from what models predict, so checking the predictions against real-world data is important. Luckily, hunters in Norway are required by law to report how many hunters went out in a group, how long they hunted, how many deer they saw, and how many they shot. Gathering this data from 256 locations over 10 years provided a solid data set for real-world testing.

The researchers used this data to calculate the probability of a male deer being shot by a hunter in various scenarios. As predicted by the theoretical model, the probability was higher when competition with other hunters was an issue, when days remaining in the season were few, and when there was a lower probability of seeing a deer in the first place.

This recent work doesn’t tackle all questions about individual choices. This research looks at Norway, but other locations may have widely varying pressures—for instance, a region may have no quotas (unlike Norway), or a region may be full of hunters who are pressured to bring home food from a hunt. Hunters who come from different social groups behave differently, too: this data showed a difference between weekend and weekday behavior, suggesting that local hunters who hunt during the week behave differently from non-residents who come in on weekends. Figuring out how different social groups behave would help policymakers to make more accurate predictions.

Right now, models are used to estimate how hunting will affect the size of a population. Population size is an important factor for makers of conservation policy, but “there is increasing concern that hunting, and in particular strongly selective hunting, may have unexpected ecological and evolutionary consequences,” the researchers write.

An analysis like this could help to address the problem of high selectivity among hunters. For instance, by changing the duration of the hunting season or the number of competing hunters, it might be possible to influence the selectivity of the hunters. Just looking at the number of animals shot isn’t enough to inform conservation, the researchers write: “To achieve sustainability, future wildlife management should account for the predictable manner by which social constraints and underlying intuitions shape the emerging selection pattern.”

Download the original paper: How constraints affect the hunter’s decision to shoot a deer. Diekert F K, Richter A, Rivrud I M & Mysterud A. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1607685113

Author: Cathleen O’Grady ARS Technica
When I was very young I would take any game animal that came into view. Since then I've become very selective and focused, just like those man-killing-eating lions of Tsavo. I saw that film as a kid and it scared the snot out of me for years.

You're not the only one ! I once had a nap on a hillside and sometime during the warm afternoon woke up and saw a large pig on the opposite hillside 100m away. Thinking it was a dream went back to sleep. Later I went over to the other hillside and found where the dream pig had been rooting up the ground.
Congratulations good sir! It takes a pretty big man to admit it! :D Cheers:

Human hunters should not shoot based on trophies either. I like the way they do things in Africa vs here in the USA. Prime breeding animals are protected. In just my lifetime (I turn 40 soon) the size of the deer here in Virginia has went way down. That's because every redneck has to go horn hunting, and it doesn't matter if it's only a 2 year old. It pisses me off to no end. I would pass up a 12 point buck, to shoot a doe with a lame leg.

Why I would pass on shots?
Too Young
Unsure of what's beyond the animal
Animals in a group
I have had moments where the beauty of the situation took precedence.

The trophy will alwyas be questionalble subject. But the trophy can be (and is supposed to be) measurement of age and few other factors related to good game managment.
Size of trophy will depend of genetics, age, quality of habitat, health of animal, and presence of parasites.

But, I understand your point, quite few times I passed on a shot, for the same reasons you mentioned, and I never hunt for strongest horn or antler. I just enjoy hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg