Why do almost all African safari operators and taxidermy shops insist on being paid by wire transfer?

Doubtful, no way for the governments to keep track of the money.

That's one of the reasons it will probably happen.

All governments are debasing their currencies. (possibly not Singapore) As the value of fiat goes down more people will look to safe harbors for their savings/investments.

I will leave these posts here. Feel free to call me out on it in ten years if you want. I could be wrong, but I like my odds.

It would be nice if there were an Africa Safari credit card. Get rand back for your next safari with every purchase. Don't leave home to go on safari without it. Ha!

1 EUR = 1.01 USD! That exchange rate is rough- maybe they're taking thier 10% cut that way...

Rinehart,
you have to die a death.
It works in deepest Zimbabwe that the recipient is paid in USD.
Everyone who changes money still adds fees at the exchange rate,or ?

OP, you have your answer: credit card fees and the fact that the outfitter doesn't know you from Adam (unless you've hunted with them previously).

Maybe, maybe not. My experience with the small bank where I formerly lived, was that the clerk processed the transfer quickly and charged about $30. I did have to call back the next Monday to verify that it went through. About a year later, that bank was bought-out by a regional bank. Different clerk, but would have charged $60 if she had been able to figure out how to perform the wire transfer (which she could not).

I went to a small community-based bank where I also have an account, and they got a wire transfer accomplished the next business day for $40.

At the end of the safari, I paid the balance to my outfitter using a credit card. Despite setting up authorization for overseas transactions, the card from the national-level bank was repeatedly declined (although it had previously worked fine at both the airport and the hotel). Fortunately I traveled with a "spare" credit card, and it was the card from that same small-town bank that saved the day. So in both instances, the small-town bank has actually been more useful than the larger regional and national level banks (both of which require a much longer drive than the local bank).

I brought back a couple of $5 keychains from Africa for the ladies at that small-town bank as a way of saying "thanks for your help" and they continue to provide me great service at processing transfers for the dip & pack and (hopefully soon) shipping. Pretty sure that I'll get a free calendar when they become available next month, too. :cool:
Excellent advice and with no dufuss comments, thank you. My recent experiences mirror yours. On my Namibian hunt of last June, my United Airlines master card which has full international privileges, was rejected everywhere. My own small town bank was bought by very large Enterprise Bank - ever since then transfers have been a nightmare.

Takes however long it takes for me to type in the address, account number and the SWIFT code in and zero fees. If first time, I have to enter a verification code sent to my phone to confirm. On subsequent transfers I just enter the amount and I am done.

You need a better bank.
Yup. Enterprise Bank sux.

MMMM, IIRC, I paid with a check at the end of the last day with the outfitter.
This issue seems overblown to me. Of course some of the outfitters have stayed at my house or hunting property in Texas and they knew me before the hunts/Safaris.
Maybe I just look too smart to be dishonest WRT paying off debts to guys with guns who know where I live.
Useless information. No one cares about you or how special you think you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross