Why did Blaser not make a 10,75x68 or .404 for R93 etc

PerH

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Question is quite forward ,and one i have thought some times on.

Why did not Blaser make those 2 not only for .R93 but other models also,that would have tricked down into brass,ammo and components and given new life to many of 10,75s rifles around.

Quite cheap also it would have been. Just imagine a R93 or BBF in 10,75 with a other barrel for the BBF also ( BBF is combo or double rifle )

They made the 9,3x57 for the R93 and most of them sold to Sweden or Germany, good Boar and Bear combination.

Imagine if they did that than the .45 Blaser which is a weird reason to design something of a cartridge to begin wih.

If they made the .404J in standard then people that wanted a .4XX caliber would not pay the extra cost of .416 barrels and safari stocks for R8s for example.

It is all about marketing and potential sales. I suspect, even in Europe, the 10.75x68 would have tough sledding and they seem to want to keep their forty somethings in the higher performance offerings which populate their "safari" line. It is a pretty small customer target niche as it is (though one typically with resources).

Secondly, the 10.75, at least as originally loaded, is/was a pretty anemic creation (with a 325 gr bullet - with lousy SD - at around 2200 fps). It would be fine for European wild boar or even lion, but I wouldn't use it on a buffalo.

Though, it is possible the .444 Marlin / 45-70 clans might learn to swoon over it. :A Too Cool::E Ok:

Regarding the 10.75x68 mm Mauser , I think there are a few reasons :
* Nobody except LFB and Sologne manufacture factory ammunition for it
* Since the .404 Jeffery also uses a .423 caliber bullet ( weighing 400 grains ) and has a larger case capacity , very few would consciously opt for the 10.75x68 mm ( barring collectors , who look for vintage rifles anyway )
* Blame the poor sectional density or the poor capacity or the weakly jacketed German DWM and RWS bullets of the old days . But whatever the reason , the 10.75x68 mm doesn’t have a good track record . John Pondoro Taylor , Harry Manners , Marcus Dally and a lot of other “ Golden Age “ hunters can attest to that .

Among African dangerous game , I would only use this caliber against leopards . Modern bullets ( such as Woodleigh or LFB’s proprietary soft points ) have noticeably improved it’s performance . But today , there are far better options available .

You are spot on about the .404 Jeffery though . I do think that Blaser could profit from making their R8 in .404 Jeffery .

Regarding the 10.75x68 mm Mauser , I think there are a few reasons :
* Nobody except LFB and Sologne manufacture factory ammunition for it
* Since the .404 Jeffery also uses a .423 caliber bullet ( weighing 400 grains ) and has a larger case capacity , very few would consciously opt for the 10.75x68 mm ( barring collectors , who look for vintage rifles anyway )
* Blame the poor sectional density or the poor capacity or the weakly jacketed German DWM and RWS bullets of the old days . But whatever the reason , the 10.75x68 mm doesn’t have a good track record . John Pondoro Taylor , Harry Manners , Marcus Dally and a lot of other “ Golden Age “ hunters can attest to that .

Among African dangerous game , I would only use this caliber against leopards . Modern bullets ( such as Woodleigh or LFB’s proprietary soft points ) have noticeably improved it’s performance . But today , there are far better options available .

You are spot on about the .404 Jeffery though . I do think that Blaser could profit from making their R8 in .404 Jeffery .
They made .300 RUM barrels for R93 ,and that is based off the .404

But use a light copper bullet in 10,75 or .404 and it flies fast .

The now sadly closed Norwegian firm PBP made a 300 grain HP .404 i shot some of ,and the .404 thought it was a .270 Win in trajectory then.

SAX also make a 230 i think mono 10,75 which is a inteeesting also.

However i dream of a .40s Accubond some day ,that would be a veryuseful one.

Why Blaser did not make these two, for R93 - we will never know. R93 might had a flaw in locking system, and there is number of reports about R93 failures, with some injuries and fatalities.
R93 is phased out, superseeded by R8, with improved design.

Personally I think that 10.75x68 and 404 are not popular enough to justify serial production of these barrels, and of these two only 404 is gaining popularity since recently only (not in the times of R93 production)
These two calibers are actually designed for African safari market, and in all firearm industry, african safari market has never been a large portion, where competing against 375 H&H (plus modern variations of 375) , and 416 Rigby (plus few modern variations of 416) would be hard to beat. All in all this woud not be promissing enterprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg