Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I've been shooting for about 60 years and own enough rifles to fill several safes and I never heard about Talley Rings and or bases until I joined this forum. In the past I've used Weaver and or Warne Rings and never had a problem. Is it caliber dependent, are they manufactured to a tighter tolerance, do some manufacturers recommend Talley Rings over others? I see that they cost more than what I normally use, but does that necessarily make them better? If possible, I'd like to stay away from "opinions" and just let the facts speak for themselves.

I think what you mostly see here is the preference for the Talley QD rings. They simply work, but so does Warne and some others. I've personally used both Warne and Talley and both have been great overall. I have had Talley come loose once, but that could happen with any.

The one thing I don't like about Talley is that wherever they tighten that is the way they keep pointing, whereas with Warne you can "flip" the direction as you probably already know.

The only manufacturer I've ever noticed recommending one or the other is CZ, who suggest Warne over Talley on their left hand models due to the way it fits apparently.

I like their "one piece" rings because they are simple and durable. Just single machined blocks that bolt on the top of the receiver without any "moving parts".

Many say good things about the QD rings are good also but I have not tried a set yet.

@Shootist43 are getting ready to put a scope on that 416 Rigby?

Like Royal, I have both Talley and Warne QD rings on rifles. I find the Talleys a tad more elegant, but both work. And I have had no issue adjusting Talley levers to align (Jeez Royal :A Bonk:). Like you, I shot fixed bases most of my life with the exception of my drillings which had claw bases, and a Steyr and Mauser or two which had German swing mounts. My awakening was my leopard hunt. I used my .338 with a fixed mount Swarovski. I shot at about 9pm, and the cat was gone when I came out of recoil. I felt good about the shot, but ......... Cat ran up a dry stream bed about five feet wide with banks two to three feet high and overhanging acacia. Did I mention it was at nine o'clock at night? We eased along at about one step every minute or two. PH and I literally shoulder to shoulder with the tracker's hand between us with a flood lamp. My supremely accurate .338 with its fixed scope was about as useful as a club - less so - it was too long for close work. We fortunately found the cat deader than free baggage within forty yards beyond a short bend. I swore that day to never return to Africa without a rifle with immediately dismountable optics. Just a couple of years later, while on a PG hunt, I was invited to join an impromptu follow-up party of an Argentine sportsman's cat on a neighboring ranch (couldn't come up with a morally justifiable way to say "hell no."). Fortunately, we didn't close with him (not so good for the Argentinian - there were a few drops of blood), but my PG rifle had detachable mounts, and had he come, I would have had a least a chance of hitting him at close range. So yes, I am a believer and have never had a set shoot loose.

Their one-piece lightweights are great on lightweight mountain rifles. I use them on a half dozen rifles but I did try them on a 375 and they would not hold zero. Their steel QD rings are bomb proof! I've got them on three rifles. Yes, I am a Talley fan for no other reason than they make good rings.

Last edited:
@Shootist43 are getting ready to put a scope on that 416 Rigby?
No, the 416 Rigby was scoped when I bought it. I was just curious. Every time someone on this site mentions mounting a scope it is always with Talley Rings and I wondered why.

I've used both and both have their place along with others.

$125
Warne QD - quality is lower, price is lower. They make rings for ruger #1 rifles so they get that business. I installed two sets last week for a friend and the rings were not true, they were cockeyed/canted. Did it matter when I tightened the 1" rings to a $200 vortex scope and they then appeared straight? Nah, it's fine. Just not a level of quality I'd like on my own gear if I had other options.

$225
Talley QD rings are milled, not investment cast like say ruger rings. Their tolerances are excellent. Their installation doesn't require lapping. Their low profile bases are aesthetically proper on a mod 70 or Mauser as it gives a "square bridge" look. A great choice for excellent quality for middle of the road guns.

$750
Recknagel pivot mounts. A much more sturdy approach that requires custom fitting by a gunsmith. The go-to solution for high end modern build magazine rifles.

$1500
Griffin and Howe side mounts. A fool proof mount that can be installed very low on a gun for awesome cheek weld and proper shooting technique. Greatly diminished felt recoil. Unobstructed iron sight picture. Easy on off. The traditional best approach for vintage American rifles and Mausers. Lowers the guns value to install if installed on some guns, raises it on others. Requires stock inletting so it isn't a reversible install.

$2000
EAW claw mounts. This is the go-to solution for ribbed guns like drillings and double rifles. Very complex installation but return to zero is perfect and they won't damage the gun.

$2500-$3500
Weird claw mounts for Steyr and Hollands. Odd parts and harder installs. Not better, but required for keeping the value of a Holland intact.

I've used both and both have their place along with others.

$125
Warne QD - quality is lower, price is lower. They make rings for ruger #1 rifles so they get that business. I installed two sets last week for a friend and the rings were not true, they were cockeyed/canted. Did it matter when I tightened the 1" rings to a $200 vortex scope and they then appeared straight? Nah, it's fine. Just not a level of quality I'd like on my own gear if I had other options.

$225
Talley QD rings are milled, not investment cast like say ruger rings. Their tolerances are excellent. Their installation doesn't require lapping. Their low profile bases are aesthetically proper on a mod 70 or Mauser as it gives a "square bridge" look. A great choice for excellent quality for middle of the road guns.

$750
Recknagel pivot mounts. A much more sturdy approach that requires custom fitting by a gunsmith. The go-to solution for high end modern build magazine rifles.

$1500
Griffin and Howe side mounts. A fool proof mount that can be installed very low on a gun for awesome cheek weld and proper shooting technique. Greatly diminished felt recoil. Unobstructed iron sight picture. Easy on off. The traditional best approach for vintage American rifles and Mausers. Lowers the guns value to install if installed on some guns, raises it on others. Requires stock inletting so it isn't a reversible install.

$2000
EAW claw mounts. This is the go-to solution for ribbed guns like drillings and double rifles. Very complex installation but return to zero is perfect and they won't damage the gun.

$2500-$3500
Weird claw mounts for Steyr and Hollands. Odd parts and harder installs. Not better, but required for keeping the value of a Holland intact.
Always learning from you RH!

Rookhawk, I found your post enlightening to say the least. Is it that just Talley's QD Rings are better for the reasons you mentioned i.e. machined and not cast but that all of their rings are machined? Rookhawk's post is the type of information I was looking for. Is there more??

@Shootist43 the Talley rings are made from billet and milled to spec if I'm not mistaken. Very true and reliable tolerances. Second, their design is superior (as is warne) with a single seam on the top that compresses to hold the scope tube instead of the usual top/bottom hemisphere approach. Concentricity is better with Warne/Talley than any of their equal price peers. The fit, finish and processes are better on Talley than on warne and I've not found anyone that disagrees with that claim as it's really obvious. It's just that not every gun deserves a $225 scope mount / ring arrangement and therefore a warne is still pretty good for half the money.

Rookhawk, you've convinced me. I have a Winchester Model 70 that was made in 1949 just sitting "naked" in one of my gun safes. I bought that gun second hand with little if any use showing, I'm going to take a chance based on the fine reputation of Win. Mod 70s from that era and put a Leopold scope on it using Talley rings. I insist on good performance but I like quality as well.

Thanks for your time and insight, that is just what I was looking for.

Talley lightweights are aluminum....the QDs are steel.

I've got Talleys on my Fierce Edge 7mm, mainly because back when I bought the rifle, it was what the manufacturer recommended. no complaints on performance.

I mounted 10-15 scopes a week at Cabela's for two years and I currently have a scope mounting business. I've mounted a number of Talley's and a ton of Warne. Though Talley's are better looking I have had some not be aligned perfectly straight so IMO I don't think they are better quality than Warne. To be precise though I haven't installed any Talley QD's, just the aluminum permanent rings. With Warne I've installed a bunch of both. May be that Talley QD's are better than Warne QD's, but Warne is good enough for me.

I have the Talley medium height steel (not lightweight) QR rings on my 500 Jeffery. They haven't changed point of aim or come the least bit loose with over 400 full power (570g at 2300 fps) rounds. I do practice with irons about every other trip to the range. When I take the scope off and put it back on, it's never been more than 1/2" off at 100 yards. Just a great product.

Attachments

• 500Jefferyturretcartridgesmaxipadsm.jpg
    500Jefferyturretcartridgesmaxipadsm.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm beginning to get the picture. For big bores, Talley QR Steel Rings are the best way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber