Why Airlifting Rhinos Upside Down Is Critical To Conservation

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Swinging above the African savannah, an upside-down rhino suspended from a helicopter looks comically surreal. But for the black rhino, flying to new territory is no laughing matter -- it's about survival.

Most rhino translocations are carried out with trucks, but some remote locations can't be reached by road. So ten years ago, conservationists began using helicopters, on an occasional basis, to move rhinos to and from inaccessible terrain. The rhino is either placed on its side on a stretcher or hung upside down by its legs.

Conservationists like the upside-down airlift because it's faster, easier, and less expensive than the stretcher option, but until now it hasn't been clear how being flipped affects the rhinos.

Read more...

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 8.58.50 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good read ! I never thought about it. But I suppose I have never seen a rhino lay on its side, unless it was dying.

Most animals do not do well their side. I have to sedate animals to capture and move them at my game ranch and they must be up on their sternum during recovery or they may die. This is very interesting about moving rhinos and it makes perfect sense. With wild animals the most important thing is time. The faster you can get them moved the more likely they are to survive.
Thanks for this neat article!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.