Who's perfectly content with their firearm collection?

HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

That statement never crossed my lips. Just read a thread earlier this week, the gentleman had just purchased a 1895 in 30-40 krag. The rifle/caliber has always intrigued me, so I started looking, lol. IMHO no gun collection is ever complete.
If you are referring to my rifle you are correct! Never content!

After the tragic boating accident that caused the loss of much of my collection, I am in a position to have to start over again.
First, I'd like to say that I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your firearms.
However this could be a blessing in disguise.
Older, wiser and in a better position to make better decisions on what you may or may not want.

The glass can be half-full if you allow yourself to see it that way.
Good luck with it.

I have 49 firearms in my current collection, and had another 60-80 that I have tried, learned from, and passed on to to others. I will never own "the one" but each each of mine has a purpose, and some are quite specialized. Some are treasured because of aesthetics, some because of efficient function and capabilities, some because of family history or sentimental value. A few of the very best ones combine all these qualities. I may reduce my collection to a dozen or so, but never much less. My goals and aspirations as a shooter and hunter are too varied.

I am currently content with what I have .
D3FE7A37-6727-4644-BF73-DD6A69CCACE8.png

My 7 millimeter Remington Magnum . Custom built for me by Mr. Jim Zahm of Oregon , USA in 1976 on a Springfield Model 1903 receiver with a stock of Turkish Walnut and a Douglas barrel .
DBEA5E4A-F300-412D-A9A6-4F9B486442E6.jpeg

My 12 Bore William Wellington Greener Wildfowl Gun . Purchased in 1975 . It is equipped with 2 3/4 inch chambers , double triggers , automatic ejectors and 30 inch barrels ( Left = Full choke . Right= Improved Modified choke ) .

Some day , I should very much like to add a lovely continental large bore side by side Double Rifle to my battery . I have had my eyes set on this one , for quite a while .
D7F649C1-5122-4791-9D38-4A3D7E1EBD68.png

Unfortunately , the Winchester Super X 500 grain cartridges which this rifle was originally regulated for , are no longer in production .

I am currently content with what I have .
View attachment 345887
My 7 millimeter Remington Magnum . Custom built for me by Mr. Jim Zahm of Oregon , USA in 1976 on a Springfield Model 1903 receiver with a stock of Turkish Walnut and a Douglas barrel .
View attachment 345888
My 12 Bore William Wellington Greener Wildfowl Gun . Purchased in 1975 . It is equipped with 2 3/4 inch chambers , double triggers , automatic ejectors and 30 inch barrels ( Left = Full choke . Right= Improved Modified choke ) .

Some day , I should very much like to add a lovely continental large bore side by side Double Rifle to my battery . I have had my eyes set on this one , for quite a while .
View attachment 345891
Unfortunately , the Winchester Super X 500 grain cartridges which this rifle was originally regulated for , are no longer in production .
This is depressing . After 49 years of being my friend ... How could your tastes get so vile ?
PS : I shall give you a small hint . I really like 2 of the 3 pictured fire arms .

This is depressing . After 49 years of being my friend ... How could your tastes get so vile ?
PS : I shall give you a small hint . I really like 2 of the 3 pictured fire arms .
Major Sir
Let me guess . The .458 Winchester Magnum ? Your “ Arch Nemesis “ .

Last edited:
Major Sir
Let me guess . The .458 Winchester Magnum ? Your “ Arch Nemesis “ .
My dear friend Panther Shooter
Surely with your knowledge and experience you wouldn't want to choose an American cartridge to put in a fine double rifle I would have thought you would choose the 450/400 a true classic for such a fine rifle.
Your humble friend
Bob Nelson

I'm pretty content, but only carry what I need. Have been casting an eye on a 257 Wby, but that is just as a want, not really a need. Dont think the taxidermists will appreciate animals coming in after getting hit by that.
KMG HUNTING
Every body needs a good 25 and the Weatherby full fills the bill nicely.
Just find a better taxidermist to see up the holes or use it on slightly bigger animals and buy a,257 Roberts for the smaller stuff.
Cheers mate Bob

KMG HUNTING
Every body needs a good 25 and the Weatherby full fills the bill nicely.
Just find a better taxidermist to see up the holes or use it on slightly bigger animals and buy a,257 Roberts for the smaller stuff.
Cheers mate Bob
I'm not sure I need one in Alaska, but I know for vaalies Marius could use one just like a....
28982384-1.jpeg

Last edited:
There are a couple schools here. People who are happy with calibers to cover their needs and true firearm enthusiasts. If my funds weren't limited my collection would be huge and I would have my own range to put them to use regularly. But alas I don't have either. The mechanical beauty is a huge draw for me to firearms. The wood, engraving, silver wire inlay, gold inlay, etc. are obviously beautiful as well. I recently watched a westley richards video and almost wept when they showed the final fit of the action of a DR into the buttstock. If firearms have sex appeal, that rifle was Elizabeth Hurley. A proper bolt gun, sxs whatever or lever action locking up with that perfect sound, fit and feel are a thing to cherish. Even releasing the bolt on my browning gold makes my toes tingle. Hell, if I had the money I would buy a gun just for a beautiful piece of wood.

Guns to me are functional art and if I could I would be just as voracious a collector as someone going after a Vango, Picasso or Monet. Last week I saw a gorgeous pre war Krieghoff drilling go on GB for $2100. 12 ga. sxs over 9.3x62. Seeing people spend that or nearly so on a plastic gun and selling it after getting bored with it, but this one only getting one bid at the end makes my eyes roll. I've seen guns come and go but that one kind of hurt.

I would finish my collection if I had a 470NE and a Browning Superposed 28ga. Field. One is expensive the other is scarce as hens teeth.

I am with the following. Rifles: 3-22’s, 2-30-06s, 7mm, 300WSM, 270, 338, 375, 416 Rigby. Handguns: 3-22’s, 44 magnum

Content? Yes. But being the avaricious SOB that I am, I want MORE!
I currently have rifles to cover everything from mice to moose and elk to elephants. .22 LR to .458 Lott. So I am “content”. A majority of my rifles are nothing special: Remingtons, Rugers and Savages with Sako, Kimber and MRC in the mix.
However, I have a desire to acquire a 9.3x62 and a .257 Wby. It just so happens I also have had a 15 yr infatuation with the Blaser which is available in these two chamberings. I hope to add this to the group in the next year or two. The only problem with the Blaser, is that I can’t see only having two barrels. I think I’d have to add a .270, .30/06, .300 Wby mag and a .338 mag. Who knows, maybe even add a 6.5 CM (or 6.5x55) and a .375 H&H.

I'm pretty content. Rifles that I use include CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby Magnum (don't have a good picture), Springfield Pro 45 ACP (carry gun), Springfield V16 Longslide 45 Super (woods gun). We (my sons and I) have about 21 long guns and about 8 handguns but these are the ones I use and would never part with.

BD0shRU.jpg

AG0evQC.jpg

jKklpFD.jpg

Attachments

• AG0evQC.jpg
    AG0evQC.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 41
  • BD0shRU.jpg
    BD0shRU.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • jKklpFD.jpg
    jKklpFD.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 38
I'm happy with my collection for my needs.

28 gauge English double
12 gauge Russian double
Winchester pump .22 gallery gun
.22 ruger revolver
Remington 700 270 lh
Weatherby .340 laser mark lh
Zastava model 70 .375 lh

There are others that came down through the family but I'm more of a caretaker of them then an owner.

I'd like to some day own a double and I'd pay handsomely to get fathers martini endfield back. I may sell the weatherby in the future it's hateful and the .375 made it obsolete in my collection.

My 270 Weatherby (much tamer round than your 340 Weatherby) doesn't kick much. I liked my late 60s vintage BDL in 270 Win better but I gave it to my youngest son and he won't give it back lol. After putting 5 rounds downrange with the 500 Jeffery, nothing seems to kick much.

My 270 Weatherby (much tamer round than your 340 Weatherby) doesn't kick much. I liked my late 60s vintage BDL in 270 Win better but I gave it to my youngest son and he won't give it back lol. After putting 5 rounds downrange with the 500 Jeffery, nothing seems to kick much.

My .270 is a '62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!