Who would like to go wingshooting?

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
This is just an open invitation to any members who would like to go shoot woodcock in south Louisiana USA. I hunt a a large piece of public land, hunting is there is free and it isn’t a crowded area by any means. I have a French Brittany spaniel I got as a pup last season and have been hunting woodcock the past few seasons. I have a real passion for the sport and want to share it. If anyone would like to go please shoot me a pm. Thank You

Thank you. I hope someone can take advantage of your generous offer.

Almost no one hunts Louisiana woodcock which is a little mind boggling since the state has the highest concentration of birds in North America in winter. I have shot limits simply walking through the woods. Back in the mid-eighties I had one of the two finest dogs I have ever owned - a female wire-haired pointing griffon that I brought over from Germany. I lived in Lake Charles at the time, and she would retrieve ducks all morning, have lunch and a snooze, and point woodcock out behind the lodge all afternoon.

Scads of hunting literature exists about hunting woodcock in the northeast, and almost nothing from their wintering grounds in Louisiana. Waterfowl is a different story.

Those of you who can accept such a generous offer will be in for a great and very unique wing shooting experience.

RedLeg,
Tried it once with my hunting buddy that had lots of woodcock shooting experience back East.
Terrain looked good, but we were a week early and the migration was not started. We had a guide and walked our butts off and my Buddy killed the only one that flushed. Food was great but hunting very poor.

Have not been back as I now live with an hours drive from Hidden Lakes preserve and their lodge also has excellent food and lodging to complement the shooting. I have seen a few woodcock in east Texas, but rather hunt quail and chukar.

When are you looking at going?

Sounds like a great time, let me look at my schedule and I will PM you and see if it works for you. Thanks for the offer, never tried hunting them before!

I have about had the poop scared out of me on more than one occasion while, headed to a deer stand, a woodcock jumped up and made hash of the air just a few feet in front of me.

Depending on where you're talking about, I'm interested. We have family land in West Feliciana and I'm planning on being there from 27 Dec -5 Jan for deer.

I have about had the poop scared out of me on more than one occasion while, headed to a deer stand, a woodcock jumped up and made hash of the air just a few feet in front of me.

Depending on where you're talking about, I'm interested. We have family land in West Feliciana and I'm planning on being there from 27 Dec -5 Jan for deer.
Shoot me a pm man

We actually have had a woodcock season here in Colorado, but I have only seen a couple of them. You’d have to take a lot for a meal. They were in North Park along the streams where I hunted sage grouse. Super fast little buggers!
Ian, that is a very generous offer that sounds like a lot of fun! Only wish I could take you up on it and bring my old GSP. It would be a new experience for us.

We actually have had a woodcock season here in Colorado, but I have only seen a couple of them. You’d have to take a lot for a meal. They were in North Park along the streams where I hunted sage grouse. Super fast little buggers!
Ian, that is a very generous offer that sounds like a lot of fun! Only wish I could take you up on it and bring my old GSP. It would be a new experience for us.
Man I’m not gonna lie if my company let me work from home I’d move to Colorado in a heartbeat, that’s a hunters paradise! And you are always welcome!

Ian, an advantage you have in Louisiana is the great food and saltwater fishing! When there, or passing through I always stuffed myself!

Ian, an advantage you have in Louisiana is the great food and saltwater fishing! When there, or passing through I always stuffed myself!
Man I can cook good food wherever, the tragic thing we really lack here is big game opportunity on public land and upland hunting both of which are my primary focus, on the other hand the grass always looks greener they say...

If you ever want to go fish and are passing through let me know all of my friends here are charter captains and it wouldn’t cost anything but gas

I have the same "advantage" in Houston.

I learned how to cook probably the same way @ian-bradley did. My cookware and cutlery will travel! But we can't really bring black bears and elk to SE Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross