Who would like to go wingshooting?

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
This is just an open invitation to any members who would like to go shoot woodcock in south Louisiana USA. I hunt a a large piece of public land, hunting is there is free and it isn’t a crowded area by any means. I have a French Brittany spaniel I got as a pup last season and have been hunting woodcock the past few seasons. I have a real passion for the sport and want to share it. If anyone would like to go please shoot me a pm. Thank You

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Thank you. I hope someone can take advantage of your generous offer.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Almost no one hunts Louisiana woodcock which is a little mind boggling since the state has the highest concentration of birds in North America in winter. I have shot limits simply walking through the woods. Back in the mid-eighties I had one of the two finest dogs I have ever owned - a female wire-haired pointing griffon that I brought over from Germany. I lived in Lake Charles at the time, and she would retrieve ducks all morning, have lunch and a snooze, and point woodcock out behind the lodge all afternoon.

Scads of hunting literature exists about hunting woodcock in the northeast, and almost nothing from their wintering grounds in Louisiana. Waterfowl is a different story.

Those of you who can accept such a generous offer will be in for a great and very unique wing shooting experience.

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
RedLeg,
Tried it once with my hunting buddy that had lots of woodcock shooting experience back East.
Terrain looked good, but we were a week early and the migration was not started. We had a guide and walked our butts off and my Buddy killed the only one that flushed. Food was great but hunting very poor.

Have not been back as I now live with an hours drive from Hidden Lakes preserve and their lodge also has excellent food and lodging to complement the shooting. I have seen a few woodcock in east Texas, but rather hunt quail and chukar.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
When are you looking at going?

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
Sounds like a great time, let me look at my schedule and I will PM you and see if it works for you. Thanks for the offer, never tried hunting them before!

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
I have about had the poop scared out of me on more than one occasion while, headed to a deer stand, a woodcock jumped up and made hash of the air just a few feet in front of me.

Depending on where you're talking about, I'm interested. We have family land in West Feliciana and I'm planning on being there from 27 Dec -5 Jan for deer.

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I have about had the poop scared out of me on more than one occasion while, headed to a deer stand, a woodcock jumped up and made hash of the air just a few feet in front of me.

Depending on where you're talking about, I'm interested. We have family land in West Feliciana and I'm planning on being there from 27 Dec -5 Jan for deer.
Shoot me a pm man

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
We actually have had a woodcock season here in Colorado, but I have only seen a couple of them. You’d have to take a lot for a meal. They were in North Park along the streams where I hunted sage grouse. Super fast little buggers!
Ian, that is a very generous offer that sounds like a lot of fun! Only wish I could take you up on it and bring my old GSP. It would be a new experience for us.

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
We actually have had a woodcock season here in Colorado, but I have only seen a couple of them. You’d have to take a lot for a meal. They were in North Park along the streams where I hunted sage grouse. Super fast little buggers!
Ian, that is a very generous offer that sounds like a lot of fun! Only wish I could take you up on it and bring my old GSP. It would be a new experience for us.
Man I’m not gonna lie if my company let me work from home I’d move to Colorado in a heartbeat, that’s a hunters paradise! And you are always welcome!

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Ian, an advantage you have in Louisiana is the great food and saltwater fishing! When there, or passing through I always stuffed myself!

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Ian, an advantage you have in Louisiana is the great food and saltwater fishing! When there, or passing through I always stuffed myself!
Man I can cook good food wherever, the tragic thing we really lack here is big game opportunity on public land and upland hunting both of which are my primary focus, on the other hand the grass always looks greener they say...

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
If you ever want to go fish and are passing through let me know all of my friends here are charter captains and it wouldn’t cost anything but gas

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana

I have the same "advantage" in Houston.

I learned how to cook probably the same way @ian-bradley did. My cookware and cutlery will travel! But we can't really bring black bears and elk to SE Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BessCabena

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?