Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Some of you come to Africa to hunt on your own because you prefer it that way, but several come as a group or at least two of you. The pro's of coming on your own is I suppose it is far easier to organise; let's face it getting a group to be interested and then commit is like herding cats. But the reward is the commeraderie of a group of friends.
I couldn't imagine going alone, there have always been four of us minimum, sometimes five. Occasionally we have taken someone along who doesn't hunt, they thoroughly enjoyed it and were there in on all the kills.
What do you feel is the ideal number and composition of a hunting party?

It depends…

I organize three “veterans” hunts every year.. two in Texas, one in South Africa…

The TX camp is 21000 acres.. and we are deer hunting from stands…we typically have a dozen guys in camp and it’s a wonderful time…

In SA it’s typically 3 couples… that seems about the right number to have great conversations by the fire, nice social dinners, etc.. while at the same time not feel crowded…

On other occasions it’s just me and the wife…or me, the wife, and a kid… and that’s great as well…

I don’t think there is any 1 correct answer.. it’s all situation dependent…

What do you feel is the ideal number and composition of a hunting party?
Too big groups could easily be crowd.
Generally, me and Ph is enoguh.
I could go with one or two friends.
I had safari, alone, with one friend, and woth group of unkonwn hunter.
But I just need my rifle, and my PH.

I prefer to make any trip with one or both of my sons. The experiences we share teaches me more about the young men they have become.

If you're speaking of the actual hunting party, I prefer no more than one other hunter and the PH when out in the bush. As in some videos, a half dozen people trundling along on a stalk? No thanks.

Ideally it would be my wife and myself, however I would hunt with up to 2 (3 total) hunters provided they were experienced. I'm planning a hunt now with another AH member that I'm very much looking forward to, but it will just be the two of us and one PH.

Large groups for hunting can sometimes be a real PITA. I've seen goose/duck hunts where a banded bird is shot, but it's not clear who actually got the bird. This can be a real point of contention or source of sour grapes. Depending on the hunters and their attitudes, things can get ugly. I'm not up for drama like this on a hunting trip. Granted, not a lot of goose hunting in Africa, but you get the point. The bigger the group, the more potential for issues.

There are exceptions for everything, so I won't definitively rule out "group" hunts...but I prefer to keep the group small.

It depends…

I organize three “veterans” hunts every year.. two in Texas, one in South Africa…

The TX camp is 21000 acres.. and we are deer hunting from stands…we typically have a dozen guys in camp and it’s a wonderful time…

In SA it’s typically 3 couples… that seems about the right number to have great conversations by the fire, nice social dinners, etc.. while at the same time not feel crowded…

On other occasions it’s just me and the wife…or me, the wife, and a kid… and that’s great as well…

I don’t think there is any 1 correct answer.. it’s all situation dependent…
@mdwest - Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Although these hunts are technically "group" hunts...the TX hunting done from stands has maybe 2 hunters and a guide in the stand and the SA couples each hunt with their own PH. So these would almost be 1x1 or 2x1 hunts where at the end of the day the whole group can get together and share your experiences around a fire.

That sounds like an awesome hunting experience and would be one of the exceptions I was talking about in my previous post.

BTW - Thank you for taking time to support our veterans.

Personally I love hunting with myself. Just me and my thoughts, using all my senses, or sometimes none. I love the sound of the bush that you can only hear by yourself.
My African hunt was with my daughter and a buddy with his daughter, lots of laughs around the fire at night. Hunting with only my PH and daughter resulted in the most animal sightings however.

I will say 2, or if immediate family, then whatever that is.
Hopefully my second trip will be with my oldest son. The first was with a friend and there was another hunter in camp. My friend and I hunted 2:1. Since than "my friend" has gone on several hunts, never asking if I was interested. Some friend and never again with him. ( yes, I'm bitter about that)
I would have no problem going by myself.

Great, great question, Kevin.

I've done it both ways--with a buddy, and by myself. I prefer going with a friend, so that we can extend the safari indefinitely by talking about it and reminiscing about this or that moment every time we get together.

However, it's not always easy to talk someone into traveling to the other side of the world, spending thousands of dollars and taking days away from their family. Also, it has to be the right person--it's very easy to get on each-other's nerves when traveling, especially after (essentially) three days without sleep on the way there.

But when it's the right friend, it's nice to hunt together, to be a gentleman and offer your buddy the first shot, to congratulate each-other, and to take the common experience back in the form of memories to be cherished every time you see one-another. Especially when you're both powderheads and rifle nuts--how about my handload, eh? Wonderful work with that lever action that nobody thought you should take to Africa! What are you taking next time, and what load are you developing for it?

The safari experience is not really my wife's cup of tea, so I can't speak for taking a significant other to Africa. I cherish female company as much as (or, very likely, more than!) the next guy, but something tells me that I'd still enjoy the experience more with a buddy. I view camaraderie as something between guys--the presence of a woman, although lovely, imposes a certain etiquette that somehow limits the scope of what can be said, done, spent ($$$$!!!) or talked about while on safari. Also, while there I don't want to have the responsibility of worrying about my woman being happy, entertained, comfortable, etc.

So, with a buddy it is, or with a PH that you know and knows you, that you're comfortable with, and that treats you like family--like mine has upon my second (solo) safari.

Last edited:
I have put together trips for, skiing, motorcycle riding, triathlons, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting over the years and have found the most important part of a group anything is the dynamics of the group and communication. There are some folks that I would travel with in a big group and others that are best just them. What I now work on is a group of 8 or less. Made up of people that will enjoy every last second on safari, don't bitch or complain and help carry the load so to speak. I have hunted solo and enjoyed it but there have been times on every solo hunt that I have turned to point something out to my wife and she wasn't there. I am blessed with a lady that hunts and enjoys every small detail of the experience. I would enjoy the time with up to 8 people with the right group dynamics. once you get beyond 6-8 you really get into the cat herding business. I think the best size would be 2-6 people.

I really think it depends on the people you bring. My favorite hunts were when I was still in school, because my Dad’s good friend always came along just to video, as he got older he could do less and less, but he always made camp better. @Kevin Peacocke I think you should try and plan a hunting trip to British Columbia or Alaska with your African friends. You might be going on your own far quicker than you realize. It seems as soon as spending any money and time off work comes up, the number of people willing to commit to a hunting trip in Africa falls off sharply. They seem to have no problems buying expensive new trucks however.

All my safaris have been 1 on 1, though I’ve usually had my girlfriend, or wife when I was married, along with me. Once, a good friend who had never been to Africa, as well as my wife, and we each hunted 1 on 1. It was great to share our hopes and expectations over tea before heading out and again to relive our day back at camp in the evening.

I did a 24 day hunt in Botswana without any companions and while the hunting was quite successful, it was not a great experience because I didn’t really enjoy my time with that particular PH, especially since he brought along his new girlfriend of the moment and he was more interested in her delights than my expensive safari. I also did a 16-day hunt traveling alone last year, hunting with Alan Vincent and it was grand. But, Alan is a long time friend whom I’ve known nearly 40 years since I first hunted with his father. It was wonderful.

Next year I’ll be hunting twice in Africa. First, I’m taking my daughter and her boyfriend to Kenya for a photo safari, but then going alone to hunt Masailand while they climb Kilimanjaro. I’ll be hunting with Mubarek Atik of Eshkesh Safaris, whom I’ve already spent time with before, so I know we’ll have a good time together. He’s a good fellow. Then, later in the year, I’ll be hunting the Selous with Alan Vincent but will have my son along with me, hunting 2x1. We will be joined by a friend of 40+ Years with whom I’ve hunted together many times, and he’ll have his own PH. I’ll probably float back and forth to spend time with each of them. We’re all very compatible so I expect it’ll be a grand time.

Obviously, I prefer the company of others in camp though I have always hunted 1 on 1. This coming year will be an exception but since it’s my son and a long time hunting buddy with a PH who is a long time buddy, I expect it to be my most enjoyable safari ever.

I like to do it alone, its very hard to please everyone in a group, especially if its a place I've never been to. When I bring people along I always feel like I gotta make sure they're having a good experience or whatever. Kinda hard to find the right hunting partner too.

I have always gone with a few friends, next week, it will be a group of five, more fun.

Hunting is 1x1 , except on dangerous game, when I am always willing to go along on "support" :giggle:

I like to do it alone, its very hard to please everyone in a group, especially if its a place I've never been to. When I bring people along I always feel like I gotta make sure they're having a good experience or whatever. Kinda hard to find the right hunting partner too.

I second your thoughts.
I have done group type hunts here at home. It always seems someone is not happy or if you arranged and someone is not pleased it drags your hunt down. I have done four Africa trips. Three by myself and thoroughly enjoyed them. The one where a friend came along even though we hunted one on one. It seems like there was always a little tension. Like your animal is bigger than mine. When we both hunted same species. I prefer going by myself now. Have a three day fishing and duck hunt planned at Christmas. And only I am going. Just me and guide. There will be others in the camp, it is a large operation. So all is good.
Next safari will be solo again. I really enjoy being there by myself just me PH and camp staff. No there hunters in camp

I’m a bit of a loner but I enjoy like minded people who are determined to have a good time and stay positive while rolling with the punches. That said, I have never had an unpleasant trip solo or with my wife, I understand what she needs to enjoy a hunt and I’ll plan for that. But I have had about an equal number of good or poor trips with others. Mostly they get on an emotional roller coaster if things don’t go perfectly and they start whining. Or they haven’t done the prep work and have physical issues like something as simple as blisters from stiff poor fitting new boots. Or bitching about what is normal weather for when and where you’re hunting.
I don’t have the time or money to afford a trip I’ve planned for a year or more going poorly. Therefore I like to know someone well enough to know how they react to difficulties and challenges. Are they nice people who can bite their tongue or let stuff roll off their backs if they need to or are they, what we call, “Karens” who behave as spoiled children and there are about as many men who qualify for that title as women.
I like enthusiasm and a sense of humor in hunting partners. Some folks I’ve known wouldn’t get excited if they saw a piss ant eat a round bale of hay. I would and I get pictures too, lol.

For many years, I talked about hunting out of Wisconsin (mostly other states) to friends and co-workers who were hunters. It always ended with some type of excuses given. In 2005 my Mom died and I quit waiting. I have gone with groups, but mostly by myself. Would it have been more fun with others? Maybe... but life is short, talk is cheap, and I don't want to be on my death bed with a "to do" list saying I wish I had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois