Who Needs A Scope On An Elephant Rifle?

The Aimpoint arrived today. Works perfectly! I did a quick sight in at 25 yards. I was able to shoot very accurately offhand at that range. At just over 3oz, this thing doesn't add enough weight to even notice. And with it mounted on the rear bridge, I can grasp the rifle around the front bridge and carry as if it was not scoped at all. Very nice set up for close/medium range work I'd think...

20211001_162406.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking setup!

I have engaged targets out to 450 with my ARs with that type of setup. After that have to hold over the targets. Inside of 100 you will not have any problems.

Toby that looks like a very effective and practical setup.. shame it doesn't have the glorious looks of that Hyem you had;)

Toby that looks like a very effective and practical setup.. shame it doesn't have the glorious looks of that Hyem you had;)
It may not have the looks, but it's more handy! And indestructible for the most part. That Heym would've just ended up being a safe queen. My new Kimber 458 is a very nice looking rifle for 1/4 the price and has wood very comparable to the Heym. I think I'm better off going that route, as I feel like at some point there's only so much money you can pour into a bolt gun, before it's all just for looks and prestige.

It may not have the looks, but it's more handy! And indestructible for the most part. That Heym would've just ended up being a safe queen. My new Kimber 458 is a very nice looking rifle for 1/4 the price and has wood very comparable to the Heym. I think I'm better off going that route, as I feel like at some point there's only so much money you can pour into a bolt gun, before it's all just for looks and prestige.
I agree with what you are saying. I just really like taking rifles with fine walnut to Africa and especially when hunting iconic species. Kimber does make a fine looking rifle;)

Toby458, love that Aimpoint on the Kimber. I am thinking of a similar setup on a newly purchased Dakota 76 in 416 Rigby - Aimpoint Micro for close up (ele) work with a great field of view and no scope bite concerns and then a Z8i for anything else. Only problem is the base mount - I have Talley bases currently and have no idea how to mount the Aimpoint. Seems like everyone uses Talley bases for Dakota rifles but they don’t have the ‘cross cut‘ slot like a Weaver which - I think - fits with the standard picatinny style Aimpoint mount. Anyone got any ideas before I contact Champlin or NECG? Guess I could just swap out the at Talley bases for Weavers and also then change the scope rings?

Toby458, love that Aimpoint on the Kimber. I am thinking of a similar setup on a newly purchased Dakota 76 in 416 Rigby - Aimpoint Micro for close up (ele) work with a great field of view and no scope bite concerns and then a Z8i for anything else. Only problem is the base mount - I have Talley bases currently and have no idea how to mount the Aimpoint. Seems like everyone uses Talley bases for Dakota rifles but they don’t have the ‘cross cut‘ slot like a Weaver which - I think - fits with the standard picatinny style Aimpoint mount. Anyone got any ideas before I contact Champlin or NECG? Guess I could just swap out the at Talley bases for Weavers and also then change the scope rings?
Word of advice. I'm having trouble making the Aimpoint fit the Warne Weaver bases on my rifles. For some reason there's a cut out in the weaver mount that comes with the sight and it doesn't work well in the short two piece scope bases. Mine will shoot itself loose in 4 shots. I'm looking into more robust mounts that hopefully will work better. Stay tuned.

Not good, I think the Dakota bases will be similar to yours (short). I really don’t want to put a picatinny type rail on a Dakota (kind of spoils the look of it). I will call round a couple of gunsmiths and also Aimpoint next week and see what they say. I guess an expensive option would be to have someone make a Talley or Weaver type base with a machined slot in it custom fit to the Aimpoint but also with a dovetail for the Talley rings, I think, maybe, who knows????

Update.
I had an extended front base that works much better with the Aimpoint mount. The mount is now able to fully engage the scope base due to the longer length of the base. The only thing I had to change is, now I have to mount the sight on the front bridge instead of the rear. One positive thing that this does is, now I can leave the ghost ring sight mounted on the rear base. And it will actually co-witness with the red dot sight. So I have a very fool proof system, IF....and that's a big IF, the sight will now stay in place under heavy recoil. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

20211003_225444.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Update.
I had an extended front base that works much better with the Aimpoint mount. The mount is now able to fully engage the scope base due to the longer length of the base. The only thing I had to change is, now I have to mount the sight on the front bridge instead of the rear. One positive thing that this does is, now I can leave the ghost ring sight mounted on the rear base. And it will actually co-witness with the red dot sight. So I have a very fool proof system, IF....and that's a big IF, the sight will now stay in place under heavy recoil. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Seems like moving the Aimpoint forward would also increase your FOV.

I have used both Leupold 1.5-5, and Schmidt and Bender 1.5-6. I encourage you to hunt however you feel is best for you. Me, I have taken 3 elephants and 5 cape buffaloes, all with scopes.

I tried the forward mounted Aimpoint today. I fired 5 rounds and checked tightness. This worked way better. Absolutely no movement of the sight, and still tight. I was able to turn the screw slightly, but it was still tight. Once I did that, I took it back apart and added one drop of blue locktight on the threads. I'll probably do a lot of shooting with this sight installed, so I'll report back on how it works with the locktight. Hopefully this will hold it in place indefinitely, but shouldn't be a problem to take it off if needed.

I went ahead and ordered an Aimpoint Micro H2 in the name of research. I'll let you know how it works out on my 458.
i've used 'em on pistols in the past and they worked just fine! i always opted for the largest diameter housing for quick acquisition on moving targets...Also, now that you mention it, i did have to loctite the big hand/slotted screws on the aimpoint mounts!!! they were not Q/D after that. lol

I tried the forward mounted Aimpoint today. I fired 5 rounds and checked tightness. This worked way better. Absolutely no movement of the sight, and still tight. I was able to turn the screw slightly, but it was still tight. Once I did that, I took it back apart and added one drop of blue locktight on the threads. I'll probably do a lot of shooting with this sight installed, so I'll report back on how it works with the locktight. Hopefully this will hold it in place indefinitely, but shouldn't be a problem to take it off if needed.
I'd highly recommend Loctite 222 (purple) for anything you want may want to take apart in the future. It is designed for use with fasteners up to 1/4".

Loctite 242 (blue) is designed for 1/4" to 3/4" fasteners.

I really think something like a 1-6X scope would fit the bill for your hunt and rifle. We have plenty of time still to get our guns ready. I’ve got more shooting to do myself between now and August.
Philip

I'd highly recommend Loctite 222 (purple) for anything you want may want to take apart in the future. It is designed for use with fasteners up to 1/4".

Loctite 242 (blue) is designed for 1/4" to 3/4" fasteners.
@BeeMaa do you use loctite on Blaser scope mounts screws? If so, what color?

@BeeMaa do you use loctite on Blaser scope mounts screws? If so, what color?
Yes. Loctite 222 (purple) on the screws that hold the scope to the mount.

For the standard Blaser QD mount there are 8 Torx head cap screws that hold the scope to the mount as seen in this picture. Each of these had Loctite 222 applied to them before being torqued.
1643538771871.png

I also have 3 Swaro scopes that have the integrated rail (no scope rings) that adapts to the Contessa QD mount. Again...Loctite 222 applied before being torqued.
1643538308160.png

In preparing for my upcoming Elephant hunt, I've been doing most of my shooting, offhand with iron sights. I have found that the ghost ring sight is extremely effective at what I've read are typical Elephant hunting ranges of 50-75 yds. To those who have hunted Elephant, what has been your experience? If eyesight allows, are scopes really needed? After all, rifles are much more portable without a scope, and this seems preferable on very long walks...
Of course my rifle would always have a scope in QD mounts for other game such as Buffalo.
Toby...It seems to me you've answered your own question. Open sights for elephant and detach scope for whatever. You obviously practice with your rifle and shoot it accurately with open sights.

I have to disagree with 50-75 yd hunting distance for elephant. Thirty yards was average for the elephant I've seen shot (6) and those which I've shot (20). Elephant are hunted "up close and personal"

Lots of choices for quality sighting devices, and lots of advice. I have no experience with red dot sights, or ghost rings. If I were to mount a scope on a rifle with significant recoil impulse, viz .458 et al, it would be of fixed power. My choice would be 2.5x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross