Who Needs A Scope On An Elephant Rifle?

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
In preparing for my upcoming Elephant hunt, I've been doing most of my shooting, offhand with iron sights. I have found that the ghost ring sight is extremely effective at what I've read are typical Elephant hunting ranges of 50-75 yds. To those who have hunted Elephant, what has been your experience? If eyesight allows, are scopes really needed? After all, rifles are much more portable without a scope, and this seems preferable on very long walks...
Of course my rifle would always have a scope in QD mounts for other game such as Buffalo.

In preparing for my upcoming Elephant hunt, I've been doing most of my shooting, offhand with iron sights. I have found that the ghost ring sight is extremely effective at what I've read are typical Elephant hunting ranges of 50-75 yds. To those who have hunted Elephant, what has been your experience? If eyesight allows, are scopes really needed? After all, rifles are much more portable without a scope, and this seems preferable on very long walks...
Of course my rifle would always have a scope in QD mounts for other game such as Buffalo.

Going for a brain shot or one in the vitals? I've not hunted elephant, but if I were going for a brain shot, I think I'd want to be closer than 50 yards AND have a scope.

If you have practiced with open sights and have the eyes for it, I say go for it and enjoy it. My eyes don't allow for much open sight use, I use a scope to see the hidden twigs etc between me and the target. If you already have a scope on the rifle, especially a low power like 2-4x you may decide to use it. Good luck!

In preparing for my upcoming Elephant hunt, I've been doing most of my shooting, offhand with iron sights. I have found that the ghost ring sight is extremely effective at what I've read are typical Elephant hunting ranges of 50-75 yds...
Try elephant hunting ranges of 10 - 30 yards. Of several elephants I have taken all but one were under 30 yards and the exception was at 50 meters which was not a brain shot.

I prefer red dots on my elephant and buffalo rifles.

I am hunting open sights, been practicing with the 416 a little the last few weeks.

I am hunting open sights, been practicing with the 416 a little the last few weeks.
What kind of rifle you taking
Try elephant hunting ranges of 10 - 30 yards. Of several elephants I have taken all but one were under 30 yards and the exception was at 50 meters which was not a brain shot.

I prefer red dots on my elephant and buffalo rifles.
Man that sounds exciting! I thought about using a red dot as well. What brand do you use?

I've never hunted elephants but I prefer a scope on dang near anything. My eyes are excellent but I think its easier to put a dot or crosshair on the spot you want. At 50-75 yards, I'd want a red dot at least. So much easier to line up one sight and one target, opposed to lining up three.
But I'm sure you could tip an elephant over either way. Can't wait to read all about it!!! Have fun on your hunt!!!

Man that sounds exciting! I thought about using a red dot as well. What brand do you use?

Trijicon RMR, 1 MOA dot. Place the dot where you want the bullet to go and press the trigger. Works great.

One other thing, for offhand shooting I am a big believer in hasty sling. I recommend it.

I haven’t shot with a ghost ring In a long time. Seems like it would obscure a lot of the target on close shots.

I chose a double with express sights because that’s how I wanted to hunt, and I felt pretty confident in my abilities. I will say this, that brain seems like a mighty small target when you are on the ground. The ability to see the elephant’s whole head and pick up slight movements is going to be important.

I think a low power scope would be best with express sights or a red dot also being suitable. I think the ghost ring is going to block out too much of the animal.

50 to 75 yds is a long shot on elephant.

I haven’t shot with a ghost ring In a long time. Seems like it would obscure a lot of the target on close shots.

I chose a double with express sights because that’s how I wanted to hunt, and I felt pretty confident in my abilities. I will say this, that brain seems like a mighty small target when you are on the ground. The ability to see the elephant’s whole head and pick up slight movements is going to be important.

I think a low power scope would be best with express sights or a red dot also being suitable. I think the ghost ring is going to block out too much of the animal.

50 to 75 yds is a long shot on elephant.
I agree that the the ghost ring does block out more than open sights. An RMR does seem to be the best compromise between a scope and iron sights. I've been practicing at 50-75 yards, so 25 yards should be a snap. I suspect an RMR would make thing even easier.
To the guys who use the RMR, do you use the battery operated, or the fiber optic style? I've looked at both and prefer the battery myself.

I agree that the the ghost ring does block out more than open sights. An RMR does seem to be the best compromise between a scope and iron sights. I've been practicing at 50-75 yards, so 25 yards should be a snap. I suspect an RMR would make thing even easier.
To the guys who use the RMR, do you use the battery operated, or the fiber optic style? I've looked at both and prefer the battery myself.
I practiced mostly at 100 and at 50 yards. I should have also practiced at 20 yards. That seems silly because it is so close, but it would have helped gain confidence in exactly where the bullet goes and what it feels like to reload when that close.

Listen to your PH. Mine recommended a scope. I bought a 1-6x24 and mounted in QD rings. After he sees you shoot he might tell you that you can remove. For what it’s worth, I ended up using my scope and am glad I did.

Trijicon RMR is battery operated. It is the same type of battery that is used on my Swarovski scope that is on the PG rifle so same type of spare to take with me. As matter of course I change batteries before any hunting trip (and verify they work) whether they need it or not.

The hunter that encounters the 72-in kudu for a few seconds at 150 yards and a 50 inch Buffalo or 20 ft croc at 100 will wish he had a scope! My elephant encounter was at approximately 40 yards late in the day in the dark shadows of a forested area. We snuck through the trees and must have looked over 50 animals (sometimes with the scope at a hundred yards). The lighted trijicon 1 to 6 power was quite helpful in that scenario. If out in the bright sunlight the shot would have been a piece of cake with open sights, but for the aforementioned reasons...

The hunter that encounters the 72-in kudu for a few seconds at 150 yards and a 50 inch Buffalo or 20 ft croc at 100 will wish he had a scope! ,,,
Kudu or croc I'd be hunting with a scoped PG rifle. Buffalo I'd want to get closer even with a scoped rifle regardless. Not to mention if one is out hunting elephants they are not going to be running into too many crocs ;).

Now, there was one day on my last hunt one of the trackers was carrying my scoped 9.3 as we were in a area where this one giant kudu was seen while hunting for elephant. We didn't see it.

I have hunted elephant in the Kalahari desert scrub (Botswana). I would not use a scope for this hunt. The shot will be inside 50 yards. You are ducking and weaving through tight cover and all a scope does is make the rifle more cumbersome and likely to snag up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross