Who makes the best African animal taxidermy forms

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40394

So things are looking good for me to plan a 2022 trip to South Africa!
I know what animals I want and what positions I want them mounted in. I am looking to help or tell (lol) my taxidermist what exact forms to use. Who makes the best African animal forms for mounting? Looking for multiple makers more than likely depending on pose, etc. is there someone out there that specializes in great forms from the factory?

A good taxidermist can modify any form to the mount that you want.

I believe that all the forums are the same, none heaver that the others.

Reactions: RLL
I am interested in this as well. Thank you for posting.

The taxidermist I used in Dallas made their own forms. I sent them pictures and model numbers of some options I wanted, then they modified their forms to make what I asked for. As previously noted, a good taxidermist can make anything, you'll likely just pay a little more for custom work if it's not a common pose.

For the Largest variety to browse through check out McKenzie. Ohio taxidermy supply also has a couple I really like-research has a couple different and good ones

Last edited:
For the Largest variety to browse through check out McKenzie

(y)

McKenzie certainly has the most variety to choose from and their catalog has lots of finished mount pics as well. I believe they still offer free catalogs if you request one.

@SPLITTING IMAGE TAXIDERMY out of Port Elizebeth RSA has a great library of YouTube video‘s by species & mount options. They recently added a renown sculpture artists & a very interesting article on the artistry of the forms. Their worth the search/visit & you will get schooled on what options may work best for you.

Send it back to USA, use a taxidermist that does a lot of African work. I think you’ll be happier in the end.

McKenzie and Jetz are the two suppliers I use the most for African forms, and both are good.

I would add the suggestion to stay a little flexible with your choice of pose. Depending on the animal you shoot, sizes etc vary greatly, and an individual animal may have unique features that suit mounting in a particular way. (y)

Reactions: RLL
I would suggest not getting set on the forms until you have the cape, skin, horns. Lots of things happen between planning a safari (even when you think you know?? the species), things change, Africa offers something, you wound/don't see, hair slippage, wounds, marks, D&P, tanning and so on. As a taxidermist myself I strongly suggest to anyone who even thinks they want a mount to spend 20 mins after pics to get some basic measurements. These can be found on any taxidermy supply warehouse site. These measurements and your hide somewhat dictate your pose and your form choices. I would tell your taxidermist the pose you want but not tell him (ask) what form he will use. He is the expert, with your hunt in 2022, you are looking at closer to 2023 before your hides hit NA then another long time at tannery before your taxidermist sees them for mounting. Lots of forms change in 2 years, industry is advancing like others. Custom made forms or major changes to forms add time and $$$$ to your mounts, be prepared, sometimes a factory form close to your desire is better than custom at least for 90% of customers here in BC.

Safari planning is part of the fun. Order catalogues from the 2 or 3 big companies (Research, McKenzie) and browse. Just keep an open mind on poses, forms and final product.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg