Who is your preferred taxidermist?

Happy you got your trophies back Ted, the elk is fantastic!

I'm almost a full year behind you, my safari was August of 2018 so my stuff is just fairly recently out of the tannery.
I spoke with Dwayne last week and my stuff is accounted for, all together, but not started yet. I didn't expect to have my mounts in progress yet and Dennis had previously communicated this to me. For now at least I'm satisfied my trophies are safe and not yet behind schedule . I wish the best for all concerned !

I love the elk!!!!
I've said it many times.....Dennis is a fantastic artist

I talked to Duane on Tuesday as He had arranged
shipping of my finished taxidermy.
I asked about His last post here.
He explained it as He and Jamie cannot answer every question
being asked by clients. They wish everyone to try and remain patient,
they will help where they can but Dennis is needed for most of the day to day operation.
Duane also told me as of Tuesday both He and Jamie will continue to
work at AOW. Neither at this time intends to leave.
They continue to do what they can until Dennis can be of more help.
I applaud them for trying to continue to help clients.
Not everyone has such employees.

True Life Taxidermy in Grandbury, TX

http://truelifetaxidermy.org/

Great staff! Katie in the front office is wonderful with updates! I’ve seen the work done in the shop and excited to get our Zebra, impala and blesbok back in the next month!

I am going to relate my experience with Artistry of wildlife which is Dennis Harris's company .
My 16 heads and hides have been finished tanning at the Wildlife Gallery ( the local furrier that Dennis uses) for two months. I have asked both Artistry of Wildlife (Duane) and all of the upper management at Wildlife Gallery to release my heads and hides to my regular Taxidermist in Roberts, Mt . Dennis Purcells. It is the position of the Wildlife Gallery that MY heads are under the control of Dennis Harris and not me, the person who sent them the heads/hides.
I am shocked and damn disappointed in both companies .
Duane says he and Jamie can't do anything and Wildlife gallery ( tannery ) says the same.
They are my heads from a $50,000 safari with my son .
Dennis Harris company has not seen or touched my property.
I have spoken to the attorney for the tannery and he said to have my attorney contact him and he will explain why they cannot release my property as if I were too dumb to understand his legal lingo .
I have not yet involved an attorney because of Dennis Harris's condition and the hope that reasonable people will do the right thing and release my property.
When you hire a service company to work for you and they have an unexpected crisis and are prevented from doing their work in a timely manner you hire another company . What am I missing ?
I have learned a lesson from this experience.

That really stinks! This situation has really opened my eyes to many things. Unfortunately, you are not alone!

I feel for everyone who has been effected by this. This seems to be the cherry on the cake when dealing with this company. That said I still only wish Dennis a speedy recovery because one’s health is paramount.

It is sad that there are quite a few that are dealing with a taxidermist that has medical problems or where someone else is now trying to get everything taken care of that has no idea of what it takes to do it.

Getting your trophies to go to another taxidermist could be filled with problems. When they are sent to a tannery you the hunter is not the responsible person as far as the tannery is concerned. They have a contract with the taxidermist and it is the taxidermist who will pay them and the tannery might not care if you want to transfer them to another taxidermist. You may have to get a lawyer involved to do this.

As for some of the other problems that have come up in the last little while, it is going to take time. Just think how you would feel if you were suddenly in charged of numerous trophies that need to be prepared to ship out of country. That along with not knowing the actual business that what is involved in doing so.

But I don't blame any of you for getting anxious I think that I would also be if I had items that were sitting in limbo but unfortunately that is what happens when the main person involved is incapacitated or can no longer take care of their business.

Dennis, if you are reading this take care, and do what the doctors tell you. We need you back on here. Get well soon

I feel for everyone who has been effected by this. This seems to be the cherry on the cake when dealing with this company. That said I still only wish Dennis a speedy recovery because one’s health is paramount.

Agree with feeling for everyone effected and pulling for Dennis to make a quick and full recovery.

Other factors aside, this health situation has been a bit enlightening for me while trying to choose a taxidermist (which I just did very recently, Kanati Elite will be getting my business for my first safari). There CAN certainly be drawbacks to using a large production shop, as many smaller shops advertise including Dennis, but I dont think I'll ever choose a "one man show" after thinking about this, for a safari especially. I'm a bit sentimental, I have a lot of taxidermy especially shoulder mounts (the wife keeps urging me to do more Europeans to save space and not mount so many dang birds lol) and they mean quite a bit to me. *knock on wood* I've been lucky this far I guess, I cant imagine the stress of not knowing where your trophies are or not being able to get them back or to another taxidermist without getting an attorney involved. Definitely one advantage to using a larger shop, providing it's the right one of course.

Mike, I of course believe you are doing the right thing in choosing Kanati. Yes they are not a one man shop but I’m completely satisfied with everything they’ve done for me. I know Wes stands by his reputation with every piece that leaves the shop. Are they perfect in every respect? No. But let me say what Dennis has always preached about his work may hold some truth but in the end there are many many excellent taxidermists in this country who produce great work. Many have excellent customer service and many have expedited service. Like Kanati. I can reach someone every business day 8 am to 5 pm. That’s important to me. When there was question or issue I may have it was addressed immediately and to my satisfaction. Point being there have been many many complaints about Dennis’s short comings in the way he does business and that’s precisely why I never gave him my work. But again I say I only wish him a speedy recovery and rehab.

I am going to relate my experience with Artistry of wildlife which is Dennis Harris's company .
My 16 heads and hides have been finished tanning at the Wildlife Gallery ( the local furrier that Dennis uses) for two months. I have asked both Artistry of Wildlife (Duane) and all of the upper management at Wildlife Gallery to release my heads and hides to my regular Taxidermist in Roberts, Mt . Dennis Purcells. It is the position of the Wildlife Gallery that MY heads are under the control of Dennis Harris and not me, the person who sent them the heads/hides.
I am shocked and damn disappointed in both companies .
Duane says he and Jamie can't do anything and Wildlife gallery ( tannery ) says the same.
They are my heads from a $50,000 safari with my son .
Dennis Harris company has not seen or touched my property.
I have spoken to the attorney for the tannery and he said to have my attorney contact him and he will explain why they cannot release my property as if I were too dumb to understand his legal lingo .
I have not yet involved an attorney because of Dennis Harris's condition and the hope that reasonable people will do the right thing and release my property.
When you hire a service company to work for you and they have an unexpected crisis and are prevented from doing their work in a timely manner you hire another company . What am I missing ?
I have learned a lesson from this experience.

Strange.....
I sent my hides and skulls to the Wildlife Galery for tanning via my broker from Chicago with information of my preffered taxidermist being Piggott Taxidermy in North East Arkansas. This was set in motion and the paperwork was prepared to do all of this before we left Africa.

Dennis Harris had convinced me to use him some months later so I contacted The Wildlife Galery via a telephone call and asked them to disregard my paperwork for shipping to Piggott Taxidermy but instead send my stuff to Dennis Harris of The Artistry of Wildlife Taxidermy.

No problems.....the honored my request to change taxidermist.

I can't fathom why you can't do the same thing.

I can't fathom why you can't do the same thing.

Because he did not initiate the work with the tannery. The taxidermist did.

Your situation differs in one detail: you initiated work with the tannery. (given your description)

Maybe not the perfect place to post this but since @The Artistry of Wildlife has been discussed in detail in this thread.

A recent FB post from Dennis.

IMG-20200404-WA0032.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildlife Creations
Bellvue Colorado

IMG_1051.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Animal artistry in Reno, NV for my international hunts and domestic hunts outside my local area (Greater Cincinnati Area plus the state of Kentucky), local taxidermist for them.

Anyone have a good taxidermist on the East Coast, preferably around VA/MD area? Happy to drive a ways…but not across the country.

In Zimbabwe Bromley Taxidermy. Their buffalo are particularly good, I see many with the wrong eye setting and they look like docile cows. Buff must look agressive.

Kanati taxidermy in PA, not sure how far from you they would be but worth a look

Anyone have a good taxidermist on the East Coast, preferably around VA/MD area? Happy to drive a ways…but not across the country.
I would also recommend Kanati, chose them for my first safari after lots of research

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg