Who Is The Best Rated South Africa Safari Outfitter?

Welcome back to AH. All of the sponsors I've dealt with on AH have been very helpful and informative.

I'm headed over to South Africa for my first safari in a few weeks and will post a detailed report on my experience.

Agree with @rinehart0050 ,

All the sponsors on this site that I have spoken with/emailed have all been helpful, polite, and informative. Many good guys to choose from

Welcome sir..... first off.... you are in the right place, no need to look further. I think most of the outfits on here represent the best of the best. Now, the hard/easy part is for you to decide what you want.

Luxury/tent camp
Free range/fence
Species
Visit with some guys that have been.... Unbiased parties, etc. I think what is telling, is when guys/girls go back. Africa is a big trip & investment. To have repeat & loyal clients, that must say something.

Feel free to bounce questions off of us. It's a great group. Invaluable intel.

Thanks for the call and the chance to chat. I enjoyed the talk and will get you the info after you email me that list. Now you know what you can get for all the sweat you gave at work each day. LOL welcome to the sickness of dreaming and hunting Africa.

Welcome Sean.! This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy!

Welcome to AH Sean! Let us know if you have any questions... and you are welcome to have a look at our Hunting reports.

Hi Sean

Welcome to the forum, i am sure you will find what you are looking for right here on AH, if you need any assistance please send me a p.m and we will see where i can assist.

All the best

Thanks to all that have responded and to those that are fellow hunters that offered up your phone numbers for a stranger to call you and talk to me about your experiences, tips, opinions etc... Invaluable and I am truly humbled by the way that the people on here treat each other. And of course, I took you up on the offers, called and chatted with you and the info that I received was fantastic.
I'm pretty sure that I know what direction I am headed in for my first safari but I have time and I will indeed contact every outfitter on here that expresses interest or comes recommended by folks on here. I will indeed check their references and speak to them over the phone. I welcome all the outfitters reaching out to a potential client! It lets us newbies to Africa know you're actively interested in helping create friends and memories for us here on AH. This is a big investment for me and I want it to be "right". If that makes sense...

Best all,
Sean

Reactions: BWH
Read the hunt reports and you will get a great feel for what is on offer.

Charlie,

Read your elephant hunt with Pieter and saw the pics of you and Bryson's success.... Phenomenal.

Glad you found it Sean. Bryson and I had a great hunt with Pieter and he would go back tomorrow! Good news is I go back in 42 days!

you have asked the impossible.every body here who has hunted africa has their own favorite,impossible not to.you need to check the references completely and make up your own mind.anybody from this site is the one for you.

Read the hunt reports and you will get a great feel for what is on offer.

I think this is some great advice. I've seen so many first timers with Africaitis and they just know they want to go to Africa but don't really understand how diverse Africa is and what a wide variety of terrain and species are available. The shotgun approach to finding an outfitter just doesn't work. You really need to define some parameters. At least answer this list:

1) Do you want to hunt free range or are you okay hunting behind high fence? (No right or wrong answer here, just personal preference. If high fence is there a minimum size?)
2) What type of accommodations do you want? (Even most tent camps in South Africa are luxury but do you want tent, chalet, 5-star?)
3) What are your primary target species? (This matters a lot because not all areas have all species and some areas are better than others for some. Obviously your list will grow and change once in country but it's good to pick out two or three of the ones you want the most)
4) What style of hunting do you want to do? (Do you want to walk, drive and stalk, use archery gear?)
5) Do you want to hunt one property exclusively or are you okay driving around to different properties?
6) Does there need to be things for your spouse to do?
7) Are you taking your own rifles?
8) Do you want to hunt birds or fish as well?

I'm sure many here can add to this list. As you said this is a big investment and to get the most for your dollar and the most to fulfill your dream of Africa, you need to know what that dream is. We've hunted six different camps in South Africa and Namibia. We've stayed in 5-star lodges and we've camped in pup tents on the desert. We've hunted high fence and we've hunted free range. But, we defined our goals on each and every trip before even talking to outfitters. That way we began with a short list. On our most recent trip to South Africa, we started in a 5-star lodge because we were going with several other couples and several of the women weren't hunters and wanted gourmet dining, fine wine and a pool. From there Vanessa and I headed to a small operation where we were up well before daylight each day and going to bed often very late after hunting hard all day. We both agreed it would not have been a good choice for the couples portion of the trip as there was little time for socializing and relaxing but it was perfect for the two of us looking to hunt hard for some very unique species. You have a great resource here in all the hunt reports and reading through them will help you establish your goals and desires. One can just not simply go to Africa. What you think you know about Africa right now is about 10% of what you'll know after your first trip and about .1% what you'll know after your 10th trip. You've come to the right place for some good advice. The best rated outfitter in South Africa will ultimately be the one you choose because they fit your criteria. Just because I think they are great doesn't mean they are right for you.

Last edited:
^ best post on the topic by sheephunter.

Read it and then read it again.

While we're happy with our choice for our first safari that is approaching fast, I wish I had found this site before we booked. We booked with an agent that we have used for other hunts in other parts of the world so we trust him. But I see some outfitters on here that I think I would have liked better. I guess that means a return trip! :Happy:

Welcome to forumn Sean !
It's good to see that you are doing your due diligence with your safari planning.
Tons of good advice on the site ,with a lot of experience to draw from.
Most lodges in South Africa are family friendly.

As mentioned SA has the option of buffalo hunts as free range or on ranches. Some ranches can be 60 square miles or bigger offering great fair chase opportnies.
With a little more info and expectations we can get the ball rolling.
Hunting greetings
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!