Who goes for shoes over boots?

I've not hunted, but I spent 11 days in Kenya in Merrill Moabs. I stepped on an acacia thorn and it went right through the Vibram sole - which really surprised me. I'd wear Moabs again.

but i also like my Courtneys... ;-)

That's impressive:

I have a couple pairs of Vibram soled Timberland Alpine Heritage boots that have been my regulars for yard work and hunting for over a decade now, and they resisted the thorns from a sizable honey locust I tangled with (and then eventually took an axe to) over the years. Those thorns were miserable bastards that regularly punctured lawn tractor tires and also automobile tires on at least two occasions.

Super hot day, and made the soles softer perhaps? I wouldn't have thought it possible.
Apparently the acacia is not to be trifled with.

Reactions: CJW
I’ve hiked/run portions of the superior national trail in Mn. I’d love to get in some of the PCT.

If you have the opportunity go for it. The Sierra range is gorgeous and I would love to do that section again but slower. The JMT is a popular easy to access trail and Mt. Whitney is awesome. My hips and a knee gave out at 1600 and change but seeing the Sierra section made it worth it. I'll finish it someday.

Anyways, I could go on but if you ever have any questions PM me. I have tons of pics too.

I wore my Merrell Moab shoes on my hunt in Limpopo. won’t do that again. Multiple punctures daily - I bought Kenetrek Safaris for my next trip, not for ankle support but just to limit the thorn issues also learned that I need to take a leatherman tool to pull thorns out easily and quickly. Redwing work boots are another good option. Just my opinion tho.

I have worn Solomon trail running shoes on two safaris in RSA--they have been comfortable and quiet and have heavier soles--I wore canvas gaiters and that kept seeds and sand out of my shoes and socks. I plan on wearing them again this summer. I will also take a pair of Danner chukkas and try them out this time as well. and then have a Leatherman to handle the thorns--from experience...

I really like Non-Goretex Salewas. I've worn them all over. If it's really hot or your feet sweat a lot (mine do) thin wool socks pair well with them.

I work in the Limpopo thorns most of the year with a bit in the Mountains for Klipspringer, Mt Reed Buck & Kudu, wear Merrel Continuums on the flat with sock savers/short grass gaiters, only the occasional thorn is long enough to get into the foot & yes the Leathermen is great then .

In the Mts my Meindl boots .

Oh yes @slam8031 my buddy wears Solomon trail running shoes but they don't last as long a little light in build but then we are talking 4-6 months of it !

So who hunts Africa in tennis shoes or heavy weight hiking shoes like Merrills or Keens? I would be hard pressed to not wear my wide comfy Altra Lone Peak trail runners.

I don't need or want ankle support and want breathability in the heat that leather and thick canvas doesn't have. I see PH's and trackers wearing sandals or converse yet some swear you need $300-400 Courtney's.

So who goes for shoes over boots?
It's not just the soles of the footwear but also the sides. If you hunted where I hunt without strong side protection and gaiters, the Spaniard grass (Aciphylla colensoi) would tear your ankles and lower legs to pieces. I imagine there are thorns on the African ground that would have no problem going through the sole of the average boot. In Australia the 3-spiked seed pod commonly found in grassy areas will penetrate the rubber sole of a thong or flip flop sandal

2 things i read about footwear have taught me this.
1) you have to run your boots/shoes in.
this is bullshit if you get quality boots that fit properly.
decent footwear is available that you can fit correctly and just go wear it in tough terrain.
2) ankle support comes from above.
again bullshit.
ankle support comes from below.
properly designed footwear holds you from underneath the foot.
of course both these things come from design and materials.
no design and cheap materials = second rate results.
buying something for the image often results in spending extra for that, and getting something not much better than you could have got a kmart.
bruce.

I want lightweight hiking boots with some ankle support. I have custom Russell Moccasin in my hippo leather that I like for most conditions (not cold weather) and then I have some Lowas that I am really liking. I dont like my Merrill’s as much as the Lowas for sure. I found Lowa boots at SCI last year and found that they made a lightweight hiker and it came in narrow widths which for me is great.
I’d also advise taking a look at Kenetreks new lightweight hiker as well as the heavy duty Safari boot that they make.
There are many places where one could just wear shoes but I’d rather have a bit more support. You never know what you’ll get into. Plus if wearing shorts you’ll want some gaiters and I find them more comfortable with boots than shoes.
Whatever you choose always have two pair of well broken in boots for your safari!
Philip

I've worn Palladiums which are built like a canvas tennis shoe but with a lugged sole, but I also had a pair of Courtney Trackers along on that trip. I alternated back and forth. The Palladiums are very light and comfortable, but I did have one thorn go right through the sole. It just barely broke the skin and it was easily pulled out with a Leatherman.

I have hunted in the Khomas Mountains and in the Kalahari. Spent a lot of time in Dijibouti in the desert.

It doesn't matter what shoes you wear as long as they work for you.

You can wear sandals, go barefoot, wear hiking boots, mountaineering boots, combat boots or cowboy boots as long as your are comfortable.

I hate snakes, spiders, scorpions, centepedes and wasp. I am probably going to wear a harder boot like the Courteney, jungle boots, or some similar combat boot than I am a traditional running shoe.

A friend wears jandals (thongs, flip flops whatever you call them) pretty much everywhere he goes on most warm weather hunts in South Africa.

You can wear whatever you like, as long as they work where you are and you are comfortable.

You will look like a "dude" if you wear Courtney's or Russells as most PH's know what they cost outside of Zimbabwe. But your Rolex, Blaser, and IPhone 11 will give you away more than your shoes.

You will look like a "dude" if you wear Courtney's or Russells as most PH's know what they cost outside of Zimbabwe. But your Rolex, Blaser, and IPhone 11 will give you away more than your shoes.

What is the cost of Courteney's in Zim?

When they look at my Courteney's and then at my Casio, Browning and Samsung they'll figure I really just like my footwear.

2 things i read about footwear have taught me this.
1) you have to run your boots/shoes in.
this is bullshit if you get quality boots that fit properly.
decent footwear is available that you can fit correctly and just go wear it in tough terrain.
2) ankle support comes from above.
again bullshit.
ankle support comes from below.
properly designed footwear holds you from underneath the foot.
of course both these things come from design and materials.
no design and cheap materials = second rate results.
buying something for the image often results in spending extra for that, and getting something not much better than you could have got a kmart.
bruce.
Hi Bruce, if you bought your boots from a stock and station agent they had to be worn through several river crossings to soften up enough to stop blisters. Not so today. One of the best fitting and wearing lightweight boots I ever had was a pair of New Balance bought in Singapore. Not totally protected from Spaniard grass though even though I wore gaiters and still got the scars.

That isn't true. If the gaiters are made right there should be no problem but they have to be tight to your skin around the top and secure to your shoe in the front and back. I put 1600 miles on my Dirty Girl Gaiters https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/ and low cut shoes and only had an issue when they started falling apart after hundreds of miles. They are probably built too light for hunting Africa but the same concept could be applied to canvas or heavy nylon gaiters.

I will agree that grit in your shoes is most uncomfortable. The worst foot problem I had was when my gaiters started failing and let sand into the torn fabric behind my heel. It rubbed my skin raw and got infected to the point of green puss inside. I treated it multiple times a day with triple antibiotic for a few days and kept it as clean as possible.
The gaiters you describe are terrific for wet country hunting, but will really heat up your feet is high desert which where most are hunting in the interior of the RSA and Namibia. The best African gaiter is made of leather and drapes over the top of the sock and boot or shoe. It is not attached to the boot but is snug around the ankle. Its purpose is to shed grass seeds that can ruin a day in the bush. When I say seed, think sewing needle with a microscopic barb at the tip that can work through running shoe and light hiker material and the skin underneath.

I only use Courteney now except in the Zambezi Delta swamp. There a light weight jungle boot is ideal.

What is the cost of Courteney's in Zim?

When they look at my Courteney's and then at my Casio, Browning and Samsung they'll figure I really just like my footwear.

admin@feredaysafari.co.zw For Fereday's in Harare, they have a lot of boots in stock. You can also reach them through Facebook.

A friend was going to Zim last year, and then "covid". He was going to pick me up a pair.

I have not been to Southern Africa in a long time 2005. The last pair I bought in (hippo) Windhoek I got for less than $150.

I don't know that you could do that today.

I bought two pairs in 2016 for $500 shipped from RSA, this was for two pairs of Patrols. But they didn't fit. She sent the wrong size.

Considering paying full price for a pair from African Sporting Creations or Westley Richards as much as it makes me want to puke my guts out, as I am a cheap bastard.

There used to be a ebay account for Russell Moccasin, but they closed it. I have never found a pair on there that would fit me as I don't wear a 9 or 14.

Russell used to dump a lot of boots that way. Keep an eye out for that.

@Muskox

"You will look like a "dude" if you wear Courtney's or Russells as most PH's know what they cost outside of Zimbabwe. But your Rolex, Blaser, and IPhone 11 will give you away more than your shoes."

Well as most of the PH's only get $65 to $125 US a day, if not the Outfitter.
On a hunt of almost any type let alone DG , I think he knows you are a far more wealthy man than him !

I have hunted in the Khomas Mountains and in the Kalahari. Spent a lot of time in Dijibouti in the desert.

It doesn't matter what shoes you wear as long as they work for you.

You can wear sandals, go barefoot, wear hiking boots, mountaineering boots, combat boots or cowboy boots as long as your are comfortable.

I hate snakes, spiders, scorpions, centepedes and wasp. I am probably going to wear a harder boot like the Courteney, jungle boots, or some similar combat boot than I am a traditional running shoe.

A friend wears jandals (thongs, flip flops whatever you call them) pretty much everywhere he goes on most warm weather hunts in South Africa.

You can wear whatever you like, as long as they work where you are and you are comfortable.

Dude. My first Rolex GMT Master served me well for 33 years of flying in the USAF, including at least a thousand hours of combat time. There are very few watches that match it. Dude.

When one is paying anywhere from $1.5K to $3.5K per day in daily fees I think they know one can afford stuff. But you are right on one thing, if one is toting a Blaser they know one is "a dude" for sure. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg