Who goes for shoes over boots?

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
So who hunts Africa in tennis shoes or heavy weight hiking shoes like Merrills or Keens? I would be hard pressed to not wear my wide comfy Altra Lone Peak trail runners.

I don't need or want ankle support and want breathability in the heat that leather and thick canvas doesn't have. I see PH's and trackers wearing sandals or converse yet some swear you need $300-400 Courtney's.

So who goes for shoes over boots?

Sometimes I hunt with Keen sandals or Salamon trail running shoes if the terrain allows it and it is hot.

Just remember that stick grass is not your friend with those, and then a boot above the ankle, and preferably with a gaiter over works well

I've not hunted, but I spent 11 days in Kenya in Merrill Moabs. I stepped on an acacia thorn and it went right through the Vibram sole - which really surprised me. I'd wear Moabs again.

but i also like my Courtneys... ;-)

Nice idea CJW, but just not practical. Grass and thorns abound, especially in the dry winter months, and a spike through the soul can put paid to your hunt enjoyment. The other reason to go with Courteney style tractor souls is quietness, I dont know why, but they are quiet. By the way Courteney now makes a canvas boot too, it is quite a bit cheaper. That could just be the compromise you are after.

Nice idea CJW, but just not practical. Grass and thorns abound, especially in the dry winter months, and a spike through the soul can put paid to your hunt enjoyment. The other reason to go with Courteney style tractor souls is quietness, I dont know why, but they are quiet. By the way Courteney now makes a canvas boot too, it is quite a bit cheaper. That could just be the compromise you are after.
8698F5BC-3C38-4DC4-97C9-5CE312081BF3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hunted barefoot, with Rocky sandals, Salomon trail running shoes, and my Courteney Safari's. I'd say your choice of footwear depends on the anticipated terrain and type of hunting you plan to do and maybe also time of year. I bow hunted barefoot sticking only to well worn game trails and taking care of each step. I've worn sandals in the height of summer and also pouring rain. Trail running shoes are all I had visiting a friends farm for a few days. As others have mentioned a big thorn like a Camel Thorn or Sickle Bush, that can pop a car tyre, will really ruin your day when it's an inch deep in your foot. Take a few different options and see what works for you. Also speak to your PH to get an idea of the terrain. I wear my courteneys daily as an exploration geologist for work in Southern Africa as well as for my hunting because they are the coolest boot I've worn in the heat and afford my feet the best protection. The are also the toughest boot I've yet tried.

I stepped on an acacia thorn and it went right through the Vibram sole - which really surprised me.
This is my biggest concern now with footwear, I haven’t had any fully puncture yet, but had more than a few stuck to really make me think. I’ve only hunted in shoes once until my bags arrived, I wear boots on way over now.

I agree, I have Merrill low rise mesh hikers and Courtney. My Courtney’s have a built in top gaitor thus I wear them with shorts and wear the hikers and other gaitors with long pants.

I don´t want ankle support or a heavy boot either.

So far, seven Safaris, all of them with light breathable hiking shoes, those I break in by wearing daily on my long walks. Worn with low gaiters.

I carry two pairs, a light one for traveling and camp, and a stouter one for hunting.

Good comment on ankle support. I’ve gotten so that the only time I want a full, rigid upper and sole is for a) hunting chukar in the rocks, and b) if I anticipate a heavy (more than 50 lbs) load when hauling meat.

i can’t prove it, but I think since I’ve worn low shoes more often when on relatively rugged ground my ankles are more stable due to the constant flexing versus having to rely on the boot.

Practicality is subjective I guess, though I do understand the concern about prickly things. My only other concern would be a mountain hunt with loose rocky terrain. I have first hand experience with it tearing up even leather and heavy cordura. Lightweight nylon shoes wouldn't last very long. I don't have any experience with acacia thorns but I know how nasty honey locust thorns are.

Those canvas Courtney's look very nice.

Last edited:
Good comment on ankle support. I’ve gotten so that the only time I want a full, rigid upper and sole is for a) hunting chukar in the rocks, and b) if I anticipate a heavy (more than 50 lbs) load when hauling meat.

i can’t prove it, but I think since I’ve worn low shoes more often when on relatively rugged ground my ankles are more stable due to the constant flexing versus having to rely on the boot.

I would say you are likely correct about your ankles being stronger. Keeping your muscles, tendons and ligaments strong takes away the need for any outside support in most situations. Protection from rocks when side hilling is another story. For most people I believe the extra ankle support/stiffness does more harm than good.

Hiking boots used to be the accepted norm but go check out the PCT or Appalachian Trail and see how many boots pass by you. People have woken up to the practicality of strong ankles and breathable lightweight shoes. 1600 miles on the PCT and I recall one blister and a few hotspots on my toes.

I took along both a good pair of boots and my Keen "hiking" shoes for my safari. Boots never came out of the bag and the shoes were great on all terrain. I did get some thorns that poked into the sole, but none that went through it, and pulled them out with pliers each evening at camp.

I'd say it's a matter of preference. For me, it was warm enough to enjoy the light shoes, they were softer for the terrain, and I wasn't worried about the thorns or needing ankle support.

Reactions: CJW
Agree 100%. Everyone says how noisy the "tyre" tread soles are... but I have not found that to be the case at all. While no sole fully compensates for walking on that problematic sand of the Kalahari, the Courteney tyre tread does about as well as any. I have Courtney's with both the tyre tread and the intermediate tread soles and both are practical, tough and comfortable. The only downside I notice with either tread is that it can pick up the occasional small gravel and track onto a hard surface like your home's floor :) But in the field.... no issue at all. Guaranteed, low-cut shoes are asking for grass and thorns in the socks. And gaiters won’t help low cuts. Debris in socks or footwear is most iuncomfortable and will drive you crazy!

Courteney's are not stiff, mountain/rock climbing boots and neither are they meant to be- so ankle support ??? I’ve never had ankle support issues other than some foot wear has a propensity to roll over which I think is sometimes confused with lack of ankle support. I’ve never had either model roll over. The Safari model could be called a low cut boot and I’d call the Selous a medium. The Safari and Selous models I have are top quality and provide protection from thorns or most anything sharp. I recommend the use of gaiters. I like the regular cinch up draw string gaiters, IIRC, they’re made of supple impala.

Guaranteed, low-cut shoes are asking for grass and thorns in the socks. And gaiters won’t help low cuts.

That isn't true. If the gaiters are made right there should be no problem but they have to be tight to your skin around the top and secure to your shoe in the front and back. I put 1600 miles on my Dirty Girl Gaiters https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/ and low cut shoes and only had an issue when they started falling apart after hundreds of miles. They are probably built too light for hunting Africa but the same concept could be applied to canvas or heavy nylon gaiters.

I will agree that grit in your shoes is most uncomfortable. The worst foot problem I had was when my gaiters started failing and let sand into the torn fabric behind my heel. It rubbed my skin raw and got infected to the point of green puss inside. I treated it multiple times a day with triple antibiotic for a few days and kept it as clean as possible.

I brought Saucony trail running shoes and Courtney’s. I wore the Courtney’s because of the combo of terrain (abrasive, rocks, thorns, etc)
I usually hunt NA antelope in trail running shoes because it really is a fast walking and or jogging type of hunt. The only drawback is when your foot compresses if it expands outside of the sole material it increases the risk of cactus ouchy pokes. The Courtney’s are light enough that they are a good trade off.
As an avid runner (even in the winter) I am picky about foot care. A trail running shoe will work right up to the first thorn.

The only drawback is when your foot compresses if it expands outside of the sole material it increases the risk of cactus ouchy pokes.

Have you tried Altra shoes. They have the widest foot bed I've ever seen but in a good way. I look at them and wonder why all shoes aren't made the same way. They might give you more margin for error.

Have you tried Altra shoes. They have the widest foot bed I've ever seen but in a good way. I look at them and wonder why all shoes aren't made the same way. They might give you more margin for error.

A good friend has a pair of these - he has box feet like me and loves them. They do look a bit different, but when you have duck feet - fashion be damned!

I haven’t tried Altra, but the am familiar with them. Saucony fits my feet so well I am stuck with them: 4 pairs of running shoes a year.

I use kuiu gators which are great. The leather Courtney gators are good, and quieter, but not as comfortable as the Kuiu ones.

I’ve hiked/run portions of the superior national trail in Mn. I’d love to get in some of the PCT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg