Who booked at a show this year

@billc

"I think africa has really start a trend towards bad hunting being if you dont get your target animal the hunt must be bad."

I feel as though the marketing over the years has tended towards giving the impression to the hunter that it's easy to get all of the animals on your list. 5 animals in 5 days or 7 animals in 10 days.

When in Zimbabwe in 2011, one of the guys I was with said "Sure, it's easy to kill an impala. You have to work at it to get a good one." Took me to day 8. Day 10 for my kudu. On that 10 day safari I took 4 animals: buffalo, bushbuck, impala and kudu. 2 1/2 days per animal. That's a lot of great hunting. I was told it was tough hunting from some people - because I didn't get more animals or because we had to work at what we got, I didn't clarify the person's meaning.

I'll target and focus on buffalo and sable in Mozambique. Hopefully, I can get an additional couple of animals. But, in 12 days or hard hunting, if I can get good trophies of those two, it will be a great hunt. Oh, and I will be practicing at the range over the next 6 months.

John

Good luck on the hunt and hope you make your goals happen that you set for yourself. I am sure you will get it done. Sometimes it is not how many animals you get but more how the whole hunt goes.

I booked a hunt with @Limcroma Safaris back in the fall based off research here and elsewhere. I brought the wife and parents to SCI this year and got to meet Hannes and @firehuntfish at the show. It really helped to cement that we booked with the right team. The whole family is super excited now- 122 days until our safari!

So has anyone booked a hunt this year based on a special they found at a show. So far looks like people had there plans before the shows even started.

No I booked a show special last year for this year.

I did. Not what I had planned but one of those last minute too good to pass up things. I had talked to the folks at DSC and kind of forgot as it was a few years out thing. Then stopped by to just visit with a PH of theirs who I got along with and he mentioned they had a special deal with a travel agent who wanted business so worked up a deal with flight from the US included. I was tempted to book on the spot as they had two of the deals and one was sold and had another guy really interested in the second, but decided to hold off a day and sleep on it... Well didn't get much sleep... We were in Vegas after all! But went back the next day and they had sold it, but then as I was visiting the guy came and backed out because his wife put the stop to two big hunts... He had apparently already committed to a leopard! The owners sat down to visit face to face about several concerns and they struck me as sincere and upfront about everything and being a business owner I really could relate... And as I was visiting over a couple days the government officials from the country the hunt would be in stopped by several times and it seemed like there was a really good working relationship there. I was/am still unsure if I can make it so the contract was customized for me to move dates and even have an out clause if needed so I booked it with those caveats.

Also checked out several other show specials and just sorted out some outfitters and guides/PH's I would like to hunt with and some I would not, no matter how good the deal.

An example of a no go for me was a Kamchatka Brown Bear hunt where the Russian Outfitter explained how easy it is. You ride in a sled and glass from the high ground while a guide pulls you around with a snowmobile. When a bear is spotted the guide speeds towards it and gets close, turns so the sled is broadside and you shoot, don't even need to get out of the sled... In fact he was adamant that you shoot quick from the sled..... I moved on, decided I would rather pay a couple thousand more for a real hunt in AK.

I really enjoyed meeting a lot of the folks. It was my impression that although I like the DSC show better in a lot of ways, I thought there were better deals at SCI. I think it was more of the last ditch big show opportunity to book for a lot of outfits so they brought out some extra special deals... I suppose that could go the other way if hunts were selling better.

Well, I did not "book" one at DSC but did meet with the outfitter/owner that I had booked with before DSC and signed the contract at the show. Does that count?

I didn't have much time at SCI this year- just one day- and it was my first convention. So, I really didn't focus on looking for deals- just taking it all in.

Are the SCI deals pretty good? Better than the deals here on AH?

I didn't have much time at SCI this year- just one day- and it was my first convention. So, I really didn't focus on looking for deals- just taking it all in.

Are the SCI deals pretty good? Better than the deals here on AH?
There is just so many at SCI with a wide range of outfitters from different place that it makes it the best for me. Best deal and African hunt I've had I got at SCI.

billc,

I'm a little late to the forum, but I guess I can say that I finalized a booking with an outfitter in Namibia based on my meetings at the ISE show in Denver, CO. I had emailed multiple outfits in SA and Namibia to get rates on hunts and species prior to the show, researched them on this site and contacted some references prior to laying down a deposit.

One of the key factors in my decision was what kind of offer they could make to accommodate my good friend on this trip. I planned to hunt multiple animals, but my friend, who is a police officer and does not make a whole lot of money, only wanted one animal. Out of about 12 outfitters I emailed, only 5 responded. Out of the five, I narrowed them down to three and met with them at ISE. I can say that all of them were great choices, but I ended up choosing the one outfitter in Namibia.

So did I actually book at the show? Not exactly, but it was the face to face that finally sealed the deal.

I bought my first safari on the DSC online auction. I already had my trip to Vegas for SCI planned when I bought the hunt. It worked good to meet the owner in person while in Vegas and work out the details, I also worked out the travel details with the travel agent while there. First experience with the SCI show, African outfitter and travel agent were all fantastic, first class!!!!

Booked with Iliwa at Portland show. Wife and I spoke to them last year, went by the booth this year and they of course remembered my wife by name....good business sense. Also a quick note to Dlvemhunter will be going end of April 2017 any advice from you would be appreciated

@billc

I'm not sure it would be a good idea for you to attend the Kansas City SCI expo next year. I went to the expo with @CAustin this year and I barely escaped with my credit card intact, we found a great deal on a Buff hunt that Charlie felt I should buy, he even suggested my wife could get a night time job to cover the cost, if you come next year he won't let me leave until I book a hunt with you.

Seriously it would be great to see you in Kansas City next year, the show could definitely use more quality outfitters. The only problem I have with buying a hunt at a show is the wife tax I would have to pay on a large spur of the moment purchase.

@billc

I'm not sure it would be a good idea for you to attend the Kansas City SCI expo next year. I went to the expo with @CAustin this year and I barely escaped with my credit card intact, we found a great deal on a Buff hunt that Charlie felt I should buy, he even suggested my wife could get a night time job to cover the cost, if you come next year he won't let me leave until I book a hunt with you.

Seriously it would be great to see you in Kansas City next year, the show could definitely use more quality outfitters. The only problem I have with buying a hunt at a show is the wife tax I would have to pay on a large spur of the moment purchase.

Art,
You're right about the wife tax. Even though I planned my hunt well in advance, I still had to pay the wife tax. A new art studio for her. Painful!

WK

Art,
You're right about the wife tax. Even though I planned my hunt well in advance, I still had to pay the wife tax. A new art studio for her. Painful!

WK

About to start a bathroom remodel here.... The guys that say that taxidermy is the expensive part of hunting in Africa aren't married!!!!

About to start a bathroom remodel here.... The guys that say that taxidermy is the expensive part of hunting in Africa aren't married!!!!

I gave up a kitchen remodel for my hunt last year. I figured that if I have lived with my kitchen for 27 years a few more years won't hurt and I'm not married.

Bathrooms are not too bad to do if you do the work yourself. I did one a couple of years ago for around $3,000. The next one is going to run around $5,000 with me doing all the work and changing the layout along with putting in a tub and taking out a shower.

I almost bought a sable hunt this year. It was killing me. The wife tax is ultimately what got me to not buy it. I do have a rifle on my radar and there is no wife tax.

I almost booked a hunt in France, then the wife said she could go and we could stay in Paris and she could go to the Loius V HQ store...anyways I am looking for some place less glamourious as the wife tax was getting close to home equity.

At the show I will say numzaan, who is a sponsor here, had one of the best deals I have seen. My jaw hit the floor. I'm just focused on saving for Mr. Spots now so had to pass. So much to hunt so little time.

@billc

Well hopeful we will get down there next year and we can see how good my selling talents are. LOL I will let you handle the wife tax though as I stay out of that stuff. :whistle:

Well hopeful we will get down there next year and we can see how good my selling talents are. LOL I will let you handle the wife tax though as I stay out of that stuff. :whistle:

The @#&% you do!!!!

You've cost me plenty with my wife Bill!!!! :E Nono:

Unfortunately I was next to broke when I visited the Calgary show this past January so I could not take advantage of some of the excellent deals there. Many were offering their regular price list in Canadian currency due to the sudden drop of our dollar, so that was about a 30% discount.
I very much enjoyed meeting the outfitters in person and when I do book a safari I hope it will be with someone who attends that show so I can go and talk to them before the hunt.
Now all I need to decide on is the location, target species, duration, and dates of my hunt and I'll be off!
Oh, and the money. I need some money too. But that's just a detail.

Just remember ever time you talk to a reference it is about the same as any rep or agent. You think outfitters give you the guys who did not have good hunts with them. Reps are just another tool and I cant say were are all the same but I do my best to tell it straight and still help guys even if it is not a paw print hunt.

You can do all the homework you want but hunts can good bad for many reason. Weather,bad shooting and the problem must have really. That is thinking that spending money can make them in to a hunter when they are not. It happens all the time and I have seen it a bunch in elk camps.

I think africa has really start a trend towards bad hunting being if you dont get your target animal the hunt must be bad. Guys forget it is still hunting as so many things can still make it good or bad.

It is nice to see some guys taking return trips.

That is exactly why the internet is such a powerful tool. When choosing my first Africa hunt, I joined forums like this one so I could private message people who have actually hunted with the outfitter. In these private messages (outside of the public forum), people tended to be very honest about the pros and cons of each outfitter.

As an individual, you need to filter out what is not important to you. Things like the weather, trophy shipping, or not getting record book animals will be filtered out because they are out of the outfitter's control. But reviews about the level of service, the quality of hunting concessions, trophy care, food, tipping procedures, and the accommodations at the lodge ARE extremely important to me. PMing individuals and asking them questions like "would your wife enjoy staying at this lodge", "how many other hunters did you see while out hunting", or "did you sit over bait/water or did you spot and stalk" was probably the single most valuable research tool that I utilized. Some people went into as much detail as to tell me what they ate for every meal!

I have 3 guided hunts booked this year. None of them were at the last SCI show. All 3 outfitters are booked solid for this year and are filling dates into the next. My African Outfitter has a US Rep who stays in constant communication with clients and helps them through the process, but for some unknown reason he does not attend shows. At the last SCI show, I talked with several reps from New Zealand hunting operations. After the show, my research found that several of them were not a good fit for me (but I really liked one and may book a 2017 hunt with him). I also got a hunt quote from an outfitter that operates near my son in Montana; when I returned from the show and got on his website, his internet price list was significantly cheaper than the quote he gave me at the show.

Point being, do your homework well in advance of the show. Narrow your choices down, then attend the show and try to make a deal with the rep. In this regard, booking at a hunting convention could be beneficial to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross