Who are your favorite "Africana" authors?

steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
My vote goes to Robert F Jones

next...

hemingway.jpg

...The good old "Papa"?

Peter Capstick, Ian Nyshens, Sten Cedergren

Kate Elliot, Robin Hobb, Naomi Novik, NK Jemisin, Kameron Hurly, (hurley?), Kathernine Kerr, Katherine Kurtz, Elizabeth Bear, Rachael Aaron, Rachael Bach.

Its very difficult for me to determine that one single author as there are many good authors....however one author remaines with biggest impression that kickstarted my reading about colonial biggame hunters was John Hunter. My first I ever read about "hunting and africa" was his book called "Hunter"(1952). This was in 1995. From here it all took a snowball effect to sweep antiquarian bookstores for anything "africa".

Its very difficult for me to determine that one single author as there are many good authors....however one author remaines with biggest impression that kickstarted my reading about colonial biggame hunters was John Hunter. My first I ever read about "hunting and africa" was his book called "Hunter"(1952). This was in 1995. From here it all took a snowball effect to sweep antiquarian bookstores for anything "africa".
Yes sir, I fully agree. That book by JA Hunter resides on the shelf of my hunting library. Taylor, WDM Bell, Rourke and Capstick are some of my favorites.

My favorite, in a more general sense, is when I have to put a book down for a spell due to an aching sense of nostalgia for a time (arguably a place, in some instances) that is long gone.

Patterson is hard to beat too, cause the best way to start a book about hunting in Africa is with a section on India!

[As a sideline, this sub forum doesn't get nearly the activity it deserves.]

I love these threads about authors because it seems I always find new reading material.

I’ll just say that the guy responsible for starting all of this with me is Capstick and his articles in OL. Pretty heady stuff for a kid not even old enough to hunt whitetails in Minnesota at the time.

I fully agree with Freefall, and would add the fascinating Hunter/Poacher Ian Nyschens

I fully agree with Freefall, and would add the fascinating Hunter/Poacher Ian Nyschens

that guy is by far (in my humble opinion) one of the most curious hunters I have read. He seemed to be haunted by “something” that at times even he did not understand. A guy I would have loved to have had a long talk with.

as far as other writers, in pure skill, I don’t think anyone tops Corbett. His understated style lends a degree of ethos that makes you believe every word.

I second Frantz Rosenberg...but his african book was only printed in norwegian...pity really, the book is very good with abundant photography...in 1913-14..

Else...so many....loved Jose´ Pardals book on elephant hunting..

Ruark, Capstick, Hemingway and Craig Boddington. Ruark's Horn of the Hunter is the book that really got me interested in Africa as a kid.
Capstick for sheer spine tingling excitement
Boddington for the more recent conditions in Africa. I have really enjoyed his books. Search for the Spiral Horn is a classic.

1.) Horn of the Hunter By Robert Ruark.---- Classic, should be required reading before you are allowed to hunt in Africa!

2.) Months of the Sun By Ian Nyschens -----Old Africa, another classic, one of a kind adventures!

3.) Buffalo! By Craig Boddington------If you are hunting Buffalo ---- a must read.

4.) The Perfect Shot By Kevin Robertson----Good info on where and how to place your bullet.

5.) Under the African Sun By Frank Hibben----Great stories and plenty of humor to go along with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you