Who’s going to Hunt Africa this year?

I have purchased my tickets through travel express--thanks Lori--price is the same as when I went in 2012. I received the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Wheels up in June (I hope). United flies from Newark to JNB and also offers changing tickets for no charge. Did purchase evacuation insurance through ripcord also.

Yes, that is correct. I could not find a place that would be open on Saturday to do the test as that is Memorial Day weekend. Everything I could find, even with mail in test to Covid Consultants will be closed. I was scheduled to depart Tuesday June 1, nothing I could find open within reasonable driving distance that would do it and guarantee the results being a holiday weekend. Travel Express was handling my flights and Jennifer got tickets switched to Friday May 28 departure for a minimal cost. This way I get 25 hunting days instead of 21, can’t really say I don’t mind that.
Jealous!

I have purchased my tickets through travel express--thanks Lori--price is the same as when I went in 2012. I received the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Wheels up in June (I hope). United flies from Newark to JNB and also offers changing tickets for no charge. Did purchase evacuation insurance through ripcord also.
Where are you headed?

If you have the time and the money, you can still get to Africa but there are just too many uncertainties for me right now even if I had a free Safari waiting in Africa. What is the likelihood I could get my trophy out of Africa if I went?

With no direct flights from the USA to Africa, personally, I'm waiting.
Where were you wanting to go? As for trophy shipping, even before COVID you were not able to take trophies home with you. Trophies ship by plane or ship later.

Where were you wanting to go? As for trophy shipping, even before COVID you were not able to take trophies home with you. Trophies ship by plane or ship later.
I was looking for basically any good opportunity outside of South Africa with good plainsgame opportunities. Anywhere that would take me within reasonable travel distance to Victoria Falls would have been sweet and Namibia has always been on my "bucket list".

I was looking for basically any good opportunity outside of South Africa with good plainsgame opportunities. Anywhere that would take me within reasonable travel distance to Victoria Falls would have been sweet and Namibia has always been on my "bucket list".
There’s lots of good sponsors on this site that could help you in Namibia or Zim and I would also suggest Coutada 9 in Mozambique with Mokore Safaris. Lots of plains game running everywhere. The Duckworth family owns Mokore and they are highly respected operators in both Mozambique and Zimbabwe.

Just confirmed with the PH and airline tickets rebooked, new dates are now for June 2021!
Third try is the charm! :E Dancing:

I'm happy for those that can go.
A bit pissed that I can't.
Maybe this will be over with one day.

I'm happy for those that can go.
A bit pissed that I can't.
Maybe this will be over with one day.

Problems with travel restrictions locally in Canada or in Africa? Or like me, is reasonable airfare the problem? For me, the airline uncertainties with most options having a layover in Europe, plus costs that are all over the place with limited seating has me waiting for things to calm down.

With South Africa halting COVID vaccinations with the current vaccines due to their new strain defeating the current vaccines apparently, quarantines and vaccinations are apt to be a bigger problem today. Something like this along with changing Quarantine rules makes travel into Africa a bit dicey for me personally.

Global Rescue might be an option but, in a Pandemic, I'm not sure that is a good plan if things go south in Africa with COVID and unknown strains. Professional Guides and Hunters will certainly help you if you get sick but, they will also have limited options during this Pandemic and with local customs and with local fears. Remember you are the foreigner and so any 'outbreak' will be your fault in the pubic eye among locals of various education levels and backgrounds (here I'm thinking of things like sex curing HIV and similar 'shaman' statements that have caused harm).

Needing medical care in Africa is not something that immediately comes to mind but, if you are the hunter that gets injured by something on the hunt or get sick, even something not COVID related, right now is not a good time to need medical care in Africa. Heck, it is not a good time to need general healthcare in East Texas!

Last edited:
I went. I was in the Limpopo when this thread started. This was my third (or was it fourth?) attempt to get over since last March. I went now because it was open and the future is topsy turvy. I still made plans a month and a half in advance, but I wasn't waiting until the peak season of May-September. It was hotter than my last RSA trip, but not any hotter than my two trips to Namibia. I'm seeing a lot of planned trips and rechedules for the usual months but few in the other months. Outfitters are more than happy to take you hunting most days of the year. Good luck everyone.

Headed to Save in Zim for 3 weeks last of May. Booked flights on United/Ethiopian Airlines and paying about par for what I traveled on Qatar business class to SA in 2018 & 2019. Did get Global Rescue but have done that on all my previous trips outside of SA. Going for leopard and buff, while my hunting partner going for lion. We were both successful on these before in Zambia and Tanzania. But we both turn 60 this year, so a double birthday hunting extravaganza was not going to be dampened by Covid. Should have vaccine before we go. Just had to get this one in, and 2022 is just too far off!

@Sid Post You bring up some points that I hadn't even really considered to be honest. I found that the costs of flights didn't seem unreasonable, and expected to have to jump through some hoops. So really, none of that was fazing me too much.
Unfortunately, our country's "leader" has now implemented mandatory three day quarantine at an approved facility, and covid testing, both at the individual's expense for anyone who travels. The cost will be "more than $2000”! And then if your test is negative, you still must isolate/quarantine for another two weeks (so two more weeks off work), but at least that doesn't have to be at an "approved facility". But if your covid test comes back positive, then you need to stay at their approved quarantine facility "until you recover". Lord only knows what that would cost if 3 days is gonna be over $2000!!!
It just makes it unaffordable. (Unless you have his kind of money)

Let me get this straight. The leader in the Frozen North can put you in what amounts to prison, without due process or any act of parliament - just by fiat?

Seriously, I had no idea Canada had become a dictatorship.

In the last 4 years Canada's Boy King has done many things that are solely dictatorship ways. Enacted a gun grab using a method never done before and during a pandemic. Used an OIC no need for parliament discussions or arguments=he said=law. Outlawed over night 1500 types of guns and all their variants. Made a law so NOBODY can question these rules and placed the RCMP in charge. Let vast numbers of criminals out of jail so they would not be exposed to Covid? Now closed Borders, implemented mandatory lockdowns in his directed facilities at prohibitive costs to traveller. His next bill will gag all media that do not confirm with "Liberal Views". Unbelievable. Yes Canada IS living a dictatorship. But remember he is on record as saying Chinas Gov and system is best in World. Worst part is the dumbed downs in Ont love and vote him in. We will see again when he calls his expected spring election. Doomed we are.

MB

Biden's executive orders are apparently trying to emulate him.

A Border Patrol offensive to arrest and deport illegals for sex crimes has been stopped. Deportations for DUI's and drug crimes have also apparently been stopped.

So far, no $2,000 hotel prison stay requirement though. I hope he doesn't get inspiration for this from his neighbor to the North.

Doubling the minimum wage as part of COVID relief should really help people struggling to get a job, even an entry-level job. I wonder if the $600 Million that went to Nigerian COVID scams will help anyone but terrorists and pirates. 1700 unemployment claims and related payments that went to one address was part of another SCAM in California that is being reported as $32 Million and $60 MIllion by different news outlets.

With ever-changing entry and exit requirements including quarantines, testing, and related things makes me very hesitant to travel very far from home, and much more cautious about any travel across a national border - unless of course I'm stranded in Central or South America and can cross with the illegal migrants to get back home, skipping all the quarantines and getting all the perks like housing assistance, food assistance, and unemployment benefits.

With recent COVID events in South Africa, I'd be very cautious about travel to Africa right now personally. An Elk hunt might be a better option this year. I was thinking about returning to Banff (Canada) this Summer but, it looks like that may not be a good idea either.

My trip has been cancelled and with UK quarantine restrictions in a hotel for 10 days on return for red list countries (SA being on that list), I dont see UK travel to or through SA happening this year.

Well as the original poster I thought I would update everyone as to my travel plans. Looks like I will be heading to Cameroon anyway! The plan (And its subject to change) is to fly on Air France/Delta into Douala on May 30th and return on June 16th. Going to hunt Bongo and other species.

I’m starting to think AH will be very calm in May-June ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg