Who’s going to Hunt Africa this year?

I'm still considering going in April. (Anyone interested in joining)
Also was hoping to go to Kruger or maybe Marakele. I'll look into it to see if the parks are still an option.
I’m going to SA first week in July. Hoping more clarity on requirements

I'm in the process of canceling my tickets. Gonna incur some losses but it is what it is.
Again my ph wants to postpone until next year. But due to other bookings I'm all the way out to 2023 now.
Worst case scenario if we did go was losing half of our hunt days due to travel for test and avoiding curfews.
And if we did catch the virus there our 2 week vacation could turn into 5 quickly.
My ph lost a close friend recently to the virus and that may be playing into his decision as well.
This will be my second canceled trip with a 3rd to California for my grandsons birthday and some fishing in March to be canceled tomorrow.

I wouldn't worry about this IMO. Only exception is if your employer requires you to tell them where you go when you take days off...you could be "taking mental health days at home, see you in X days"
Rather than the employer, it is the Federal government that is requiring one to quarantine once a person comes back from overseas.

Tough to know what is right. One of my best friends is fighting for his life on a ventilator and dialysis right now with Covid. He’s an otherwise healthy 60 year old. Others I know have gotten through it like it was a bad cold or at worst a flu.

I had cold sweats for a week and loss of energy. Nothing more.
Recovered just over 2 weeks ago

Who really knows what it will be like by March April or May? I am still planning on going and will make final decision for May 28 departure around May 10th or so. Up until then who knows what will happen or requirements by the time any of our departure dates. I think it is premature to cancel or change this far out personally

Rather than the employer, it is the Federal government that is requiring one to quarantine once a person comes back from overseas.
It can be both. Not sure where you are from but here in the US, quarantine means something different than many other places (like Africa). It basically means "you should probably stay home but we arent monitoring it and cant really do anything if you dont"

I'm in the process of canceling my tickets. Gonna incur some losses but it is what it is.
Again my ph wants to postpone until next year. But due to other bookings I'm all the way out to 2023 now.
Worst case scenario if we did go was losing half of our hunt days due to travel for test and avoiding curfews.
And if we did catch the virus there our 2 week vacation could turn into 5 quickly.
My ph lost a close friend recently to the virus and that may be playing into his decision as well.
This will be my second canceled trip with a 3rd to California for my grandsons birthday and some fishing in March to be canceled tomorrow.
That's a bummer, personally I'd be looking at getting a deposit back if they cant accommodate 2022, or book another outfitter for 2022 if budget allows. After all this BS and postponement disappointment, no way I'd be waiting until 2023. But I sure hope it just works out however is satisfactory to you

I truly believe this covid situation is going to develop rapidly in the near future and my personal guess would be for the better. The US has already started to backpedal testing stats, New York magically opened restaurants, and people are getting the vaccine. Opinions about the stats, vaccine, etc aside, the perception positive due to that I THINK

Last edited:
I`m planning to go to Hoedspruit June - August with my cousine, He`s gonna hunt Buffalo.
We hope that the vaccination program have reached us until may, if not we ned to postpone the hunt.
Better be safe than sorry.

@Mark Biggerstaff
I normally totally agree. But when the outfit I'm booked with wants to move the dates to next year there's not much I can do.

I understand that your outfitter is rescheduling you. I am referring to others situations that might be thinking about cancelling. If my outfitter decided to postpone my hunt I would do so too, because they know what is truly going on over there.

Why not try to get a refund and find an outfitter that can accommodate for the time frame you have flights booked for? I know I couldn’t wait till 2023 for another hunt!

Last edited:
I understand that your outfitter is rescheduling you. I am referring to others situations that might be thinking about cancelling. If my outfitter decided to postpone my hunt I would do so too, because they know what is truly going on over there.

Why not try to get a refund and find an outfitter that can accommodate for the time frame you have flights booked for? I know I couldn’t wait till 2023 for another hunt!
I made to many other plans this year,
I had to cancel my grandsons first deer hunt in Texas while I was down with the virus.
I'm taking him on a fishing trip in June and rescheduled the deer in December.
The other issue is lining up my son's time off as well. I get triple the vacation time he does.
We could've rescheduled for next year but will be going to Romania then. Didn't want to change the dates on multiple hunts.

This isn’t good news, specifically lists South Africa

This isn’t good news, specifically lists South Africa
Specifically says "Non-US citizens", so wouldnt prevent citizens from traveling there nor coming home.

No, but could potentially have a huge impact on available flight routes
Possibly, but let's be honest most flights are US travelers going there and back, not vice versa even during normal times.

The "what if" game with covid will drive you nuts. The only safe play is to wait to 2022, 2023, 2024 to book. Otherwise, the only guarantee is new regulations WILL come up and it wont be the easiest trip, but that's why you pay a travel agent

I am still pushing forward. I have 61 days until wheels up. My outfitter has arrangements for testing prior to return. I have received the vaccine through my work. As long as the flight departs I will be on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross