Who’s going to Hunt Africa this year?

I personally think that this covid dystopia (lockdowns, restrictions) will last till end of this year at least. This crazy train cannot be stopped anymore. I hope that in 2022 things start to get better. First trip after this needs to be extra special like buffalo bowhunt..

I’m hoping to spend a couple of weeks hunting around South Africa re-visiting some old haunts with a PH chum. Nothing serious - mostly just culling and having a good time with old friends. But since I was overruled by this forum on which animals should be in the silent seven, I’m hoping to add an aardwolf to the bag. And an African wildcat to my cats of Africa list.

Currently scheduled to leave Canada in April. For the first time flying Qatar to JNB through Montreal and Doha.

Coming up but still hopeful!

Wheels up Apr. 8th To Tsala fo a couple weeks bowhunting for night critters honey badger, civet genet, jackal and day time steenbok and impala, and the fill in off time with some some culling

Already there. It's awesome! Having a great time-wish you were here!

RSA in September. We are still making a plan, but it should be more or less like this.

Hippo in Mpumalanga, then Spotted Hyena and Bushpig possibly in Limpopo, will end in Northern Cape at my outfitter´s property for warthogs, jackals, baboons...

I am (re)booked for March 2021. If the permit goes through, they let me on a plane and let me in to the country, I am going hunting.

COVID postponed this hunt and cancelled three other DIY hunts in 2020. Like everyone here, I am itching to get after it.

Not sure is the answer from me. I'd love to but I just don't think it'll happen.

As we're talking about a global health issue overlaid onto varying flavours of everything from national travel policy through travel and medical insurance via regional containment strategies, this is not going to be an easy call. I suspect that most of Africa won't see significant vaccine roll out this side of July and that may well colour national policy (UK, EU, US, Can, Aus, Middle East, etc) on unrestricted movement to/from these regions.

I think desire of the individual and any risk they are personally prepared to take, may not be supported by the agencies/nations that would be required to support their course of action.

Looking at some of the journey lengths and the number of countries transited in the process, a lot of ducks need to be in a row to make it happen but only one to fall to make it not happen.

I missed out last year and that's a first for a while. Back end of this year? we'll see.

FN
RSA safari industry desperately needs our support as well but folks have already hunted/visited Tanzania, namibia, and Zim (and likely others) in late 2020.

Namibia has expressed they are aware how bad their economy was hit, have travel protocols in place, and dont intend to close back down. We will see if that holds true if course. Only reason I didnt go in August and postponed was I had no interest in being probably the very first hunter trialing the testing and quarantine procedures that were vague at the time. IMO, for those countries there is now plenty of firsthand info and I'll let the travel agent deal with the ever changing flights and I'll be there if the border is open

Fingers crossed that RSA is soon part of the list of enough firsthand experience with the procedures that folks start feeling more comfortable going there.

I plan on going in September. If I can get flights and our Australian government opens the borders. I will be heading over to the Eastern Cape again a carryover from the hunt I had booked for last year. I will be chasing more of the tiny ten and some other spiral horned favorites. I finally obtained an Oribi permit for last year only to have to pass on it because of Covid. Fortunately it looks like I can transfer the permit to this year.
Fingers crossed I can get there.

I am scheduled to leave DTW on 26 March for 14 days in RSA, general plains game. Been cancelled 3 times in 2020.... so, if the flight leaves I will be on it. Been getting tested every couple weeks for work requirement. Still on the fence about the vaccine. As a 65 year old with heart disease probably should
get it. still gathering facts. Good luck and safe travels to all that are heading to the continent this year.

21 day epic adventure planned and booked for June this year!

10 days in South Africa trying to bag another cat (Serval) as well as some plains game I haven‘t hunted.

Fly up to Zim and fish for Tigers with Wayne and his wife of @Nyamazana Safaris. Six nights cruising 210Km on the Zambezi with River God Adventures! Check it out https://rivergodadventures.com/

Cap off the year with a trip to Spain in December chasing Ibex, Stag, Boar, Mouflon, great Spanish wines and sightseeing in Madrid!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.39.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.39.09 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 146
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.39.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.39.10 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.39.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.39.12 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.39.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.39.14 AM.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 137
Going to South Africa for the month of September. Just got the first Covid shot yesterday through work. Mainly because I'm hoping having the vaccination card will make things easier.

If RSA remains open, I am going with my sons Parker and Grant in six months. Grant booked a Rhino Safari with Bossie Mostert here on AH for July. Parker is taking a safari with Shaun Keeny that we bought at the Austin SCI fundraiser a couple of years back. Then we will head North to Zambia with Strang Middleton for some bowhunting. My travels to Zambia in October of 2020 were smooth so I will keep going back until such time comes I deem it uncomfortable.

I will be there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg