Who’s going to Hunt Africa this year?

Austin - Newark - Lome', Togo - Addis - Lusaka = Three frigging days and 4K+ for steerage
Sounds just awful under the best of conditions! Afraid I cannot work up enough enthusiasim to put one together for this year, maybe next? Maybe?

Just curious what does this itinerary look like? I (incorrectly) thought it would be as simple as Washington DC to Addis Ababa to Lusaka on Ethiopian airways.
Me too how can anything take 3 days?

Austin - Newark - Lome', Togo - Addis - Lusaka = Three frigging days and 4K+ for steerage
No flights from JNB to Lusaka? Seems that would be much faster.

YUK!

Not apples to apples but this is something I am open to. Haven’t booked it. Your dates may make things a lot more difficult.

October Okc-Chicago-Doha-Dar. 2 days. $1,200. Normally you can fly Dar to Lusaka for around $400.

1610423982701.jpeg

Have a hunt with Tsala for Apr. And haave already purchase air fare on the new United direct nonstop fron New Jersy. Cheapest flights we have ever. bought. $ 1294. round trip from Missoula Mt. From Lori at Travel Express

Why would I not go on safari? I might catch a cold? I’m going no matter what. Tests, masks, etc won’t stop me.
It is a fallacy that there are new strains of any consequence. There is no reason for fear. There were no more deaths in 2020 than 2019 overall so it was all a lie on a macro level. Yes people died. I went to a funeral today that was virus related. This won’t give me a fear complex that stops me from living my life however.
I was the lucky one. I hunted Cameroon in January then took my wife on an anniversary trip to Bora Bora on spring break then had nothing else planned for 2020.
I’m off to hunt the EC again in July and I can’t wait. Blue Duiker, Oribi, Nyala, Bushpig, etc are on the list!
Philip
Good for you Philip. You are quite correct, all the stats are freely available to prove it to, but people persist in their fear mongering. Watch now that all the elections are out of the way covid will quietly be relegated back to it's rightful box. And by the way there are excellent health facilities in all of the Southern African countries, yes you pay for them, but if you need it it will be there.
Thanks to all who have decided to come, we are having an excellent rainy season, the bush is looking good and the animals will be multiplying.

I've got two "maybe's" planned, one to South Africa and one to Namibia. All depends on my work schedule.

from an outfitters view, this is great
generally hunters are positive and coming
if planes are flying i hope to see you guys in SA and elsewhere in africa
outfitters here are dying to get back in the field!!!!

regards

I'm in on three trips to Bots as long as planes can get me there - early Apr, early Jun and early Aug.

I normally take a 90-day supply of doxycycline as a "just in case" for malaria/tick byte fever, but since I don't go to a normally malaria area during the dry season, I don't take it unless I get bit and start having symptoms - so far all has been fine. This year, I'm going to ask my doc for a 90-day supply of hydroxychloroquine as an "anti-malarial" polylactic as it's approved for and start taking it maybe a week before departure of each trip.

As long as I can find a way there I hope to be there the last two weeks in April. Just looked and Delta has pushed back the starting dates of there flight from Atl/JNB/Capetown until March 28 and this is the flight I have booked so hopefully they start flying that route then. It is kind of a challenge chasing what seems to be an ever moving target.

Unfortunately, no in 2021.

I have a BC moose hunt in 2021, a special wedding anniversary trip I need to plan and also a daughter's wedding. Assuming I financially recover from the wedding, I am looking to do a buff hunt in 2022.

Why would I not go on safari? I might catch a cold? I’m going no matter what. Tests, masks, etc won’t stop me.
It is a fallacy that there are new strains of any consequence. There is no reason for fear. There were no more deaths in 2020 than 2019 overall so it was all a lie on a macro level. Yes people died. I went to a funeral today that was virus related. This won’t give me a fear complex that stops me from living my life however.
I was the lucky one. I hunted Cameroon in January then took my wife on an anniversary trip to Bora Bora on spring break then had nothing else planned for 2020.
I’m off to hunt the EC again in July and I can’t wait. Blue Duiker, Oribi, Nyala, Bushpig, etc are on the list!
Philip
Couldnt have said it better my friend.

If the planes are flying I'll be after a leopard in Namibia in July. Hoping and praying with everything I have that that's the case, selfishly for my own experience and also for the entire safari industry

Just curious what does this itinerary look like? I (incorrectly) thought it would be as simple as Washington DC to Addis Ababa to Lusaka on Ethiopian airways.
Qatar Air:
IAH-DOH-EBB-KGL-LUN. Qatar to KGL, then RwandAir. or IAH-DOH-NBO-LUN, Qatar to NBO, then Keyna Air.

Turkish:
IAH-IST-ADD-LUN, Turkish to ADD, then Ethiopian

If I fly from my home it's: $7000+, SAT-JFK-DOH-ADD-LUN

$4300 from Houston is bad enough, but worth driving to Houston to get a flight.

Last edited:
Not sure is the answer from me. I'd love to but I just don't think it'll happen.

As we're talking about a global health issue overlaid onto varying flavours of everything from national travel policy through travel and medical insurance via regional containment strategies, this is not going to be an easy call. I suspect that most of Africa won't see significant vaccine roll out this side of July and that may well colour national policy (UK, EU, US, Can, Aus, Middle East, etc) on unrestricted movement to/from these regions.

I think desire of the individual and any risk they are personally prepared to take, may not be supported by the agencies/nations that would be required to support their course of action.

Looking at some of the journey lengths and the number of countries transited in the process, a lot of ducks need to be in a row to make it happen but only one to fall to make it not happen.

I missed out last year and that's a first for a while. Back end of this year? we'll see.

FN

Couldnt have said it better my friend.

If the planes are flying I'll be after a leopard in Namibia in July. Hoping and praying with everything I have that that's the case, selfishly for my own experience and also for the entire safari industry
Yes i agree its not just about us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross