Who’s going to Hunt Africa this year?

Jörg Krüger

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
RSA safari industry desperately needs our support as well but folks have already hunted/visited Tanzania, namibia, and Zim (and likely others) in late 2020.

Namibia has expressed they are aware how bad their economy was hit, have travel protocols in place, and dont intend to close back down. We will see if that holds true if course. Only reason I didnt go in August and postponed was I had no interest in being probably the very first hunter trialing the testing and quarantine procedures that were vague at the time. IMO, for those countries there is now plenty of firsthand info and I'll let the travel agent deal with the ever changing flights and I'll be there if the border is open

Fingers crossed that RSA is soon part of the list of enough firsthand experience with the procedures that folks start feeling more comfortable going there
This is so true as much of our revenue is tourism orientated, and obviously this was non-existent in basically a year. The Covid numbers that climbed so radically here over the last few weeks has not helped the situation, although currently the numbers are thankfully dropping again.
The Gondwana group in Namibia has suffered as well big time in Namibia. So yes, we do need help as @mikecatt13 has stated.
On the plus side for all the overseas people, our Rand has had a rough time against all the major currencies, which makes a Steers Burger meal really cheap for you.

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
Already there. It's awesome! Having a great time-wish you were here!
image10.jpeg

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I’m taking time off this year again from going to Africa. I have taxidermy bills to pay. Sounds like it will be a busy year for most people. I think this year will have lots of changes.

dtarin09

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
United States ; South Africa
June 28 - July 13 with Greatland Safaris in Thabazimbi, South Africa with a trip to the Kalahari. My son's first trip.

JES Adventures

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.ranchinvestments.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Life Member of DSC, NRA and SCI
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Ethiopia, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Zambia. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
Going to RSA in June with my son Grant on his Rhino Safari with Bossie Mostert.
Then with my son Parker to Sean Kemp for plains game
Finally up to Zambia with Strang Middleton for some bow hunting

Gonna be a great year!

DHH45

Silver supporter
AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA , SCI
Hunted
Namibia , mozambique
Simple question:

With the COVID-19 pandemic in full swing and new strains seemingly developing as this is typed...who thinks it’s safe to travel and hunt Africa this year?

I myself am torn between going and staying home and just want to get my fellow hunters opinions.
Oh, Yes!!! I just received my first Covid-19 shot today. The 2nd is scheduled for 2/10/21.

Scott CWO

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
I'm going to Botswana in late May if it's legal to go. Be bold but informed - you only live once!

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Buff and some small stuff in Mozambique with the Duckworth’s for me this year.

ufg8r93

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA: AL, CO, GA, FL, SC, SD, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, England, Saskatchewan
Scheduled to depart 24 April with Cheetau in Limpopo, SA. Qatar already cancelled my flights so I'm on the Delta direct flights now. We'll see.

Buff, warthog, duiker, mountain reedbuck, maybe some other stuff on hit list.

Wade J VanGinkel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Scheduled to depart 24 April with Cheetau in Limpopo, SA. Qatar already cancelled my flights so I'm on the Delta direct flights now. We'll see.

Buff, warthog, duiker, mountain reedbuck, maybe some other stuff on hit list.
Qatar canceled one of our April flights but simply changed us to the next flight 4 hours later. Then the next day reinstated the earlier flight but would have had to pay more to rebook that one.
Just gonna keep watching

Outdoorbound

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Limpopo
Scheduled to depart March 18 SLC to JNB for 14 days. Unless we are forced to cancel we will be wheels up. Only thing we are trying to figure out now is the requirement to be tested before entering back into the USA. I am hopeful that will change before the trip but that is unlikely. Anyone have any suggestions for getting tested in SA so we are allowed back into the US?

godwincp

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI,NRA
Hunted
namibia,zambia, Zimbabwe,Botswana, South Africa
Heading to SA to hunt with JKO last ten days of July. Taking my nephew on his first safari. For those of you who think Covid 19 is not to be taken seriously I can assure you it should be. After contracting covid from a buddy at deer camp I ended up in the hospital for nine days with viral pneumonia and on oxygen. Not fun. Had I not been in good shape and very healthy it could have been much worse. I’m out now recovering nicely and back to spending time on the ranch. Please be safe and get vaccinated

shootist~

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
2020 deposits carried forward, Delta 201 tickets refunded and Delta 204 tickets purchased for mid July 2021.

I'm 71 and expect to get the vaccine by spring. Hope things improve in S.A. (and everywhere) soon! I really hope, and plan, to go this year.

Scott CWO

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
Buff and some small stuff in Mozambique with the Duckworth’s for me this year.
You will have a great hunt with them in C9. I loved that area. Good luck!

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
Are you actually there or being sarcastic? Is that a red flanked duiker in Cameroon? I was unable to get a tourist visa from embassy in USA for this year.
I am there. Much more to come.
IMG_7748.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I’m hoping to spend a couple of weeks hunting around South Africa re-visiting some old haunts with a PH chum. Nothing serious - mostly just culling and having a good time with old friends. But since I was overruled by this forum on which animals should be in the silent seven, I’m hoping to add an aardwolf to the bag. And an African wildcat to my cats of Africa list.

Currently scheduled to leave Canada in April. For the first time flying Qatar to JNB through Montreal and Doha.

Coming up but still hopeful!
Love to hear about it. Nice to have a trip with no pressure. I’m going in July with a short list and just have fun with my hunting group that I’m taking with me.
Philip

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
RSA in September. We are still making a plan, but it should be more or less like this.

Hippo in Mpumalanga, then Spotted Hyena and Bushpig possibly in Limpopo, will end in Northern Cape at my outfitter´s property for warthogs, jackals, baboons...
Fun! Don’t post hyena pics I’ll be too jealous

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeBonet

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.