Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
Whitehorse man killed while hunting bison over the long weekend
h t t p s ://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/whitehorse-man-killed-while-hunting-bison-over-the-long-weekend-1.5715484

'It is believed that when the hunter approached the downed bison it quickly became mobile and charged'
CBC News · Posted: Sep 08, 2020 8:30 AM CT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

A man from Whitehorse died over the long weekend after a bison charged at him during a hunting trip, according to the Yukon Coroner's Service.

The incident — which resulted in the death of 43-year-old Terry Joseph Arthur Still — happened in the Champagne area early Saturday morning, according to a news release from the Yukon chief coroner's office. Still was hunting in that area since Friday evening with his wife and a family friend, according to the news release.

According to the coroner's recount of events, Still and another hunter from Whitehorse came across a bison and fired shots from a distance.

The bison fell to the ground and Still walked toward the bison while the other hunter headed toward their all-terrain vehicle, according to the news release.

"It is believed that when [Still] approached the downed bison it quickly became mobile and charged," states the news release.

Still fired more shots into the bison "but sustained fatal injuries from the charging animal," according to the coroner's office.

The bison is said to have died because of its injuries about 100 metres from where it charged at Still, states the news release.

RCMP and conservation officers from Haines Junction and Whitehorse responded to the incident with the coroner's office. The investigation is ongoing.

"Yukon Coroner's Service offers its sincere condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Still," states the news release.

Oh man, terrible news! My thoughts and prayers to friends and family. How many times has it been said: "Its the dead ones that kill you"?

Was it ranch bison, or wild bison?

No ranch Bison in the Yukon. They are wild and free range Wood bison. Bigger, hairier and darker than plains bison.

Thank you for clarification.

How terrible! Condolences to his family & friends.

Whitehorse man killed while hunting bison over the long weekend
Horrible accident my sympathy is with the family.
How's to show the importance of making sure the animal is dead and using enough gun.
Maybe an insurance shot before he got that close.
Bob.

My condolences to the family.

Wood Bison vs. Plains Bison...
1599773968264.png

Terrible accident. My condolences to his Family.

Always try to approach a downed Animal from behind, Mag fully loaded one in the chamber, Safety off.

Dead Animals have there Eyes open. Throw something into there Eyes if they blink, its not Dead.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross