Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
White Zimbabwean Farmer Has Land Returned Under New Government

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/white-zimbabwean-farmer-land-returned-132013815.html

Zimbabwe President Emmerson Mnangagwa ordered that a white Zimbabwean farmer evicted from his land in June be allowed to return, signaling a shift in land-ownership policy from predecessor Robert Mugabe.

Mnangagwa has also ordered an end to the intimidation and eviction of farmers, regardless of race, with immediate effect, presidential adviser Chris Mutsvanga said Thursday.

Robert Smart, evicted from his Lesbury Estate farm in the eastern Manicaland province by then-governor Mandi Chimene, can return immediately, Mutsvanga said by phone interview from the capital, Harare.

Chimene’s whereabouts aren’t currently known, while a religious leader who participated in the eviction was “told to leave the farmer alone,” Mutsvanga added. Several ministers and governors loyal to Mugabe, like Chimene, have disappeared from public view since Nov. 15, when Zimbabwe’s military briefly took control of the country.

One of Mnangagwa’s key challenges will be to revive an agricultural industry that collapsed following the Mugabe-sanctioned seizure of mostly white-owned commercial farms starting in 2000, causing food shortages and slashing export earnings and tax revenue.

“Under the new dispensation, all Zimbabweans, regardless of race, color or creed are welcome to work for the development of the country,” Mutsvanga said.

Mnangagwa Vows to Revive Zimbabwe’s Democracy, Economy
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...agwa-says-elections-will-be-held-as-scheduled

Best news in a longer time. Not a bad Christmas for one farmer

Hopefully the start of something positive . . .

If precedent has any standing under Zimbabwe Law, this should make it easy for any farmer previously evicted to regain ownership of his farm and or lands. I hope that South Africa sees the light and proceeds accordingly.

Kind of shocking actually, but some good news.

Most agri-based businesses were financially destroyed. Decades - often generations - of investment, livestock breeding, equipment, etc is gone and true restitution would be impossible for the current government. Wonder how many former owners, who are still in the country or willing to return to Zimbabwe, would be able to simply start over with virtually no assets.

It's just a ploy to entice foreign investment and appeal to the bleeding hearts in the U.S. and other governments. Like Red Leg says, who would want to return and work their balls off just to have it taken again. No guarantees and there is no Zimbabwe Law, only Mugabe Law and corruption top to bottom. Thirty years of an evil dictatorship and all its trappings aren't going to be washed away in a day, a month, a year or twenty years.

Most agri-based businesses were financially destroyed. Decades - often generations - of investment, livestock breeding, equipment, etc is gone and true restitution would be impossible for the current government. Wonder how many former owners, who are still in the country or willing to return to Zimbabwe, would be able to simply start over with virtually no assets.
Red Leg
You are right most of them are gone. One analyst told Mugabe yeas ago that when his white population dipped below 100,000 Zim was finished. I think they stand at about 20,000 whites now.

Wow this is shockingly good news. Regardless it will take decades of good leadership to do anything in Zim. We are all hoping for the best!
Philip

Perhaps the first step in the right direction. It will take a long time for Zim to get to where it can feed her own people again. It would be risky to lay out $$ to start farming again. Gonna take a while. Guess we can hope and pray that this continues to happen.
Bruce

“Under the new dispensation, all Zimbabweans, regardless of race, color or creed are welcome to work for the development of the country,” Mutsvanga said.
@Red Leg and @Hogpatrol are correct, but this at least seems to be a big step in the right direction. May be closing the barn door after the horses have left (and been killed and eaten), but it appears to be a proper shift in thinking at least.

Further reason to be optimistic, but an optimism buffered with a healthy dose of caution. But let's hope this is another step in a series of many in the right direction.

Like some of you I believe it is a step in the right direction. I will not be able to take advantage of it, but many of you younger guys may. I am not sure what year this confiscation of white farmers land started, but in 2003 and 2004 it was near constant big news on BBC radio that I listened to most every night while working an overseas contract. It was obviously important to the Brits during that time frame.

Great news. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction for the entire country.

1. The new government staying in power will require aid and monies. (both public and private)

2. Aid and monies from the west will require free and open elections.

3. Free and open elections require support of the citizenry.

4. Support of the citizenry will require improvement in their lives.

5. Improvement in their lives will require jobs.

6. Jobs require capital investment.

7. Capital investment requires a just judicial system and property rights.

The new government may be smarter than many give them credit for.

Most people had written off Rwanda and Nicaragua 15-20 years ago. Look where they are now. Zimbabwe's has a head start on both of those countries. The downside isn't very far. The upside is almost unlimited. There just may be a very bright future for Zimbabwe.

1. The new government staying in power will require aid and monies. (both public and private)

2. Aid and monies from the west will require free and open elections.

3. Free and open elections require support of the citizenry.

4. Support of the citizenry will require improvement in their lives.

5. Improvement in their lives will require jobs.

6. Jobs require capital investment.

7. Capital investment requires a just judicial system and property rights.

The new government may be smarter than many give them credit for.

Most people had written off Rwanda and Nicaragua 15-20 years ago. Look where they are now. Zimbabwe's has a head start on both of those countries. The downside isn't very far. The upside is almost unlimited. There just may be a very bright future for Zimbabwe.

Well said @Wheels .
As I have sa D frequently I hope the lives of the people of Zimbabwe get better. As the country use to be the bread basket of Southern Africa may it return to that status

I hope that there is something for the farmer to return to. It is a big gamble if he does that it will work out.

In 2001 I lost my farm to Bob. Shortly later I lost a lot more to my X wife. Not going back to either, but life in Zim. is good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross