Which Woodleigh 300gn Projectile for Water Buffalo

SWS1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I’m in the process of preparing for a September water buff hunt and eagerly anticipating the arrival of my 375h&h to take with me.
I’ve got some 300gn Woodleigh HD, some 300gn Woodleigh PP and some 300gn Woodleigh solids. I can also get some 300gn hydros.
What would be your preferred projectile, from that list?
many thanks

when i had my 375 ruger i used 350 rn woodleigh and 300 rn woodleigh on our bison so sorry i cant help with your choice. as of today there is nothing the 9.3s i have cant do that the 375 can in a nicer package but that is just me.

From your list I would pick the Hydros or the HDs. The PPSNs would be fine as well. The FMJs work, of course, but do less damage and would be my last choice.

From your list I would pick the Hydros or the HDs. The PPSNs would be fine as well. The FMJs work, of course, but do less damage and would be my last choice.
Ben
Thank you. I’d have loved to shoot Swift a frame but they aren’t currently in NZ and I need some sorted out by July which isn’t looking likely. Hence the woodleighs.
Thank you for the advice I’ll go for the HD I think. Was just worried about pass through with the hydro?

Can you access any 350 grain woodleigh bullets? If I could I would be trying them first but if they were not available I would use the 300 grain HD followed by the PP, the hydro and last of all the conventional solids

I’m in the process of preparing for a September water buff hunt and eagerly anticipating the arrival of my 375h&h to take with me.
I’ve got some 300gn Woodleigh HD, some 300gn Woodleigh PP and some 300gn Woodleigh solids. I can also get some 300gn hydros.
What would be your preferred projectile, from that list?
many thanks
Who are you hunting With?

Ben
Thank you. I’d have loved to shoot Swift a frame but they aren’t currently in NZ and I need some sorted out by July which isn’t looking likely. Hence the woodleighs.
Thank you for the advice I’ll go for the HD I think. Was just worried about pass through with the hydro?

Hydros will pass through for sure, but it has never been an issue for me (the bulls are rarely in mobs and even when they are they’re not densely packed and there’ll be a safe angle). The benefit of the Hydro is straight-line travel and penetration no matter the angle. However, they kind-of zip through whereas the big softs seem to shudder the bulls more. With a Hydro they think they’ve been stung by a mosquito and they run away for ten or thirty metres looking unscathed before tipping over. With the softs they know they’re hit and they’re battling to keep their footing immediately. I’ve just made a massive generalisation and I’ve got lots of anecdotes to go against what I’ve just said, but that’s the general vibe of the matter from my observations. Currently I’m using 350 grain RNSN HDs and loving them!

300Gr Woodleigh Protected Point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!