Which round is the best?

Reaction score
Media
Member of
SA Hunters
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Hi all. Very nice forum. Only just stumbled across it.

So here's my question. Which is the best round for plains game. I am currently hunting with 170gr FMJ's but wondering if I shouldn't go for a lighter weight soft point. Going for Kudu, Nyala, Impala and warthog.

Any suggestions?

I used a 375 & 270 Grnrs on my African trip. With the 308 on Sambar deer here in Oz I use a 180 grn rnd nose sp that worked really well & I'd hunt any african plainsgame with them.

I assume you are using a .308 Win as your caliber of choice. I would NOT use the FMJ! I would pick a premium bullet in the 150-168 grain wieght. Personally, I'm partial to the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets, followed by Nosler Partitions. There are other premium bullets that can also be used like the Swift A-frame, Lapua Naturalis, North Fork, Woodleigh PP, Hornady GMX, Rhino, etc.

I would stick with one of the premium bullets. The main objective is to put the bullet in the correct place.

If I may ask, why would you not use the FMJ?

I currently have the Lapua 170gr FMJ .308 win

I would not use the FMJ because they pencil thru the animal, meaning the size of the bullet going in, is the same size going thru and out of the animal.

When you use an expanding, deep penetrating bullet, you get a larger wound channel than the original size of the bullet. The opening of the bullet also causes much more damage to the internal organs. Plus, the forces of the bullet opening are inflicted upon the animal giving greater shock to the animal. Also, the wound channel on the exit side is typically larger than the entrance wound giving you a better blood trail, should you need to follow it.

The only case I would use a FMJ would be for elephant and potentially follow up shots on buffalo.

The premium bullet just make a beter wound channel and a beter blood trail for wounded animals.Sometimes along the way you are going to make mistake.It is not always possible for the perpect shot.
My 2c

Excellent! Thanks guys. Time to change then for me.

personally, I think Jenn makes my point in other posts about the .375 Holland with a lighter, premium bullet for PG,
whether in the boardroom, the heat of battle or on a game trail, the set up isn't always what you'd want, the firing solution sometimes not perfect but when you do send it a little bigger gun covers a lot of sins.

Put down that .308 and back away very slowly...here, try this 3-7-5 .... Now, I bet you feel better already

If its a good shot, Mr. Kudu will not be able to tell the difference between the 308 and the 3-7-5 but, if your shot is just a little off the big gun is just going to make the rest of the day so much more enjoyable

I'd agree with what second wind said. I took an 06 Ackley Improved and a 375 H&H. If it was out past 200 yards I used the 06. Anything inside that and I went to the 375 every time. If I could only take one gun to
Africa it would be the 375 H&H. Even on a shot placement that was
not in the boiler room the animal was anchored.

Remember also that in the states at least it is illegal to hunt big game with FMJ bullets, so its a foreign concept to us. Plus the fact that for most game a soft point will produce a much quicker kill.

I no longer hunt with my .308 because I use my .375 for everything but,when I did hunt with it, I used only hand-loaded 165gr Sierra Gamekings or PMP Pro-amm in 168gr.Never had any problems at all.Please lose the FMJ's,they are not meant for hunting animals. I myself,most other guides and PH's,and many farmers will not allow hunters to use FMJ's.

Okay, so I just went ahead and bought some Privi 170gr soft points.

Now I'm happy. Thanks for all the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg