Which Rifle Scope to Use with Big Bore Calibers?

I have two scopes that I have relied on for ALL of my big game hunting:

- Schmidt & Bender 2.5x10x56 with a German #4. I have this scope on a Steyr Model M 30.06 most of the time, mounted with a forged schwenkmontage claw-release system. I have used this scope on over 50 hunts, on and off the rifle, and from no-light to bright lights in the artic, this scope has performed. I have never lost my zero when removing and replacing the scope. I used in once on a .378 Wthby and fired over 30 rounds through a Lazermark - same level of performance. If you have the money to spend, don't waste it on lesser scopes.

- I recently put a Nikon African 1.1x4x24 Illuminated German #4 on my Ruger Mark 2 .375H&H Safari Magnum, and this scope is remarkable. The optics are incredibly clear and just as good at the shorter ranges as the Schmidt and much better than scopes costing 2-3 times as much. Mounted with a Warne system, I have no lost my zero when taking the scope off the rifle, and the red/green illumination dots are adaptablet to a number of environments and light conditions. This is a VERY well made scope at a reasonable price, and perfectly configured for dangerous game.

I posted sometime back on this subject of scopes on big bores..I did some extensive testing with a .375, 416 Rem, 458 Win. 458 Lott, 505 Gibbs..I also ended up with a sack full of broken scopes.

My test revealed the .375 and 416s could handle about any scope without damaging it. The 458 Lott and 505 Gibbs trashed every scope within 250 rounds, and most much sooner. Every scope tested was a high dollar scope, both US and Foriegn. I won't mention any names but the only scope that I could not trash was the Leupold 2.5 Compact and I believe that is because the internal adjustments are actually under the adjustment turret..I got the impression that the heavier a scope was the more vunerable it was to recoil and I also noticed that the big European scopes tended to slip in the rings regardless of how tight you screwed them in, perhaps it is the finish as it seems slick..

I believe many get away with the scopes they use on the really big bores because one person in a million shoots those monsters anywhere near 250 times.

Anyway for what its worth, and keeping in mind that it was a range test project and not particularly scientific, but neither is the bush very scientific....

I read of a simular test on the .458 Lott in an old Rifleman or Handloader magazine and they claimed the same experience, thus the reason for my testing.

Bottom line with me is the .458 Lott, and larger calibers are 200 yard rifles at best and are seldom used at over 100 yards. Therefore the need for a scope does not apply with me..

All my big bores over .416 are set up with shallow V irons or a Receiver sight such as the Williams that has adjustments that curious hands cannot play with. As to eyesight, I have found that a visit to your eye doc can fix you up to shoot iron sights in most cases. My old eyes require bifocals, yet I can still shoot irons as well as I did 60 years ago..I am sure this is not always the case an for those that cannot shoot the shallow V, the receiver sight has a lot to offer as its easier with bad eyes. If not then your locked into a scope..

I also believe many of todays hunters have never used irons and only surmise they cannot shoot them, those folks should spend a little time using irons and they might be surprised just how accurate they are.

I use a Lynx 1-3x20 for DG and a Lynx 4-12x40 for plains game on my .375,and I am perfectly happy with them.

Hi Beto,
this is an old thread and no doubt you would have made your choice by now.

I would be interested in knowing your final selection, and your evaluation of what you ended up with.

I too am looking for, (considering), an optical sight for my .458 Lott which is mainly used as a back-up rifle on buffalo in Australia.

Normally my back-up guns are neat on top (no scopes) but our late season hunts see a sometimes need for shots out to 100yds and beyond and my tired eyes are strecthed with shots beyond 100, with open sights.

I too considered the Trijicons, we get quite a few of these in our camp each year and they seem to be the real deal, though I have become intrigued with the prospects provided by the new 34L Aimpoint sight.

Without wanting to hijack your thread, did you consider, or has anyone else tried, one of these sights yet ?

Thank-you in advance,
Paul.

Judging by the recent activity, this thread needed resurrected anyhow. Yes, I have tried the Aimpoint H30L. I chose the 30mm tube (easier to find rings, can mount it on my .375 H&H with my existing Talley rings). I got it for mounting on my .470 NE, and I had Searcy machine integral Talley bases into the rear “V” rib (option he offers). I find it to be a very impressive aiming system. It has unlimited eye relief (which is very important to me for a .470), and target acquisition is fast with both eyes open. Since I started shooting rifles, I have always used telescopic systems. These have no magnification, but it is impressive how accurate you can be. I’ve shot it on both a .375 H&H and a .470 NE double. They have a 2 MOA dot, big enough to grab your attention, but small enough for precise shooting. The main drawback is remembering to adjust the dot intensity or brightness. In bright light, you have a tendency to increase the dot brightness. Once light fades, however, it can become too bright if you don’t dial it down. The reverse holds true when you start at a low setting in the early morning hours, then fail to increase the brightness as the sun takes over. You’ll shoulder the rifle and be searching for a dot that is suddenly very dim and hard to see. Basically it takes some minor discipline during the transition times. Despite this, I can still recommend it.

As for all other scopes, Swarovski rules. I have a top of the line Leupold and a couple basic model Zeiss scopes, but I always go back to Swarovski when I head out on serious outings like Alaska, and for what it’s worth, Alaska will test every piece of equipment you have.

..Myself I shoot weaver Grand slam series scopes. They run from $259 - $400. I shoot them on every gun I have scoped & had no problems with it. I have a 375 H &H shot probably 400 rounds through it with out a scope problem!! Don't know about the 458 lott though?
>> There are better scopes out there but if you are on a budget I think they are good. I'm not sold on all that higher dollar stuff for a rifle scope. The quality should be in the binoculars as I'm putting the scope on the animal to kill it not evaluate it. As far as the light gathering quality they all brag about - if it's that dark out maybe we shouldn't be shooting!!!!
I agree the Grand slam and Super Slam Weavers are very good for the money..They are high end Japanese made scopes with all pro features and high light transmission..Good Choice--Zeiss of course is very nice also..

I have two scopes that I have relied on for ALL of my big game hunting:

- I recently put a Nikon African 1.1x4x24 Illuminated German #4 on my Ruger Mark 2 .375H&H Safari Magnum, and this scope is remarkable. The optics are incredibly clear and just as good at the shorter ranges as the Schmidt and much better than scopes costing 2-3 times as much. Mounted with a Warne system, I have no lost my zero when taking the scope off the rifle, and the red/green illumination dots are adaptablet to a number of environments and light conditions. This is a VERY well made scope at a reasonable price, and perfectly configured for dangerous game.

+ 1 I have the same set up on my .416 Rigby. About 100 rounds put through it since sight in and it still holds zero. This includes a 14 day hunt in Tanzania.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 in Warne quick detach rings on my Weatherby Mark V Euromark 375 Weatherby Mag..
It has crystal clear optics, & 4" / 100mm eye relief. The tube is long enough so mounting on any rifle is not a problem.
It is very good in poor light or shaded areas. I truly love this scope after owning a dozen Leupolds. Mostly VX-3s..
In fact all my rifles have Zeiss scopes.. My best is Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 on my CZ550 9.3x62 because that is the rifle I use if I am hunting in foul weather or dark thick scrub. It's night performance is brilliant & target acquisition is instant.
there is no looking for an image with this scope because it is there..

VORTEX Razor HD 1-6 x 24.... fantastic light gathering and clarity, plus has the illuminated reticule if required. Swarovsky quality at a lesser price.

I like trijicon, Swarovski and leupolds myself. With the accupoint being high on the list because it has a light up sight with no batteries and quality glass to boot.

my choice on the rifles would be as you have them , to stick with the Leupold .

IMHO they are the best value for money scopes .

I am afraid I am a big of a optics pig , I run Schmidt & Bender almost exclusively, there is no doubt they are way too expensive! And many scopes are close and the 98% solution. But for optical quality from everything Ive read and compared S&B wins the day. And I smile every time I look thru them.

PS the ACOGs an excellent optic for what its designed for.

Regards
Pat

I am afraid I am a big of a optics pig , I run Schmidt & Bender almost exclusively, there is no doubt they are way too expensive! And many scopes are close and the 98% solution. But for optical quality from everything Ive read and compared S&B wins the day. And I smile every time I look thru them.

PS the ACOGs an excellent optic for what its designed for.

Regards
Pat
Here's a man who knows what he s talking about. Shame S&B have ditched their best scope ever made, the 4x36, re-made with a longer front tube in 1" and if you're listening, please also make a 1.25-8x36 in 1" with a small diameter ocular bell and no illumination. Those are the two options I'm dying for from S&B!

All my big bores over .416 are set up with shallow V irons or a Receiver sight such as the Williams that has adjustments that curious hands cannot play with. As to eyesight, I have found that a visit to your eye doc can fix you up to shoot iron sights in most cases. My old eyes require bifocals, yet I can still shoot irons as well as I did 60 years ago..I am sure this is not always the case an for those that cannot shoot the shallow V, the receiver sight has a lot to offer as its easier with bad eyes. If not then your locked into a scope..

I also believe many of todays hunters have never used irons and only surmise they cannot shoot them, those folks should spend a little time using irons and they might be surprised just how accurate they are.

For a long while now I've shot nothing but open sights. Being a former bowhunter (and handgun hunter) I prefer open sights and close-in hunting. Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in taking shots beyond 75-100 yards (and anything over 50 yards will only be taken under exceptional circumstances).

Were I to put a scope atop one of my heavy rifles, though, it'd be a Leupold. That's what I put on my 378 Weatherby, back in the day (Vari-X III, 1.5-5x). It stood up to a little over 200 shots of full power, factory 300 grain loads, no problem.

My 400H&H Just trashed a Swaro Z6 in 1X6, would guess 300-400 rounds. Bought a VX6 1X6 to replace it. will let you know what I think of the new scope when I mount it soon and what Swaro's warranty program is like on a 6 year old scope.

I do not scope my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer , but it has a ghost ring on ...
VN6r6In.jpg
klj8m66.jpg

My .375 H&H Magnum Coggswell& Harrison has a ghost ring as well , although it is a a Scout rifle configuration with a quarter rib , three flip up distance indicator blades..as well...
Uk87OpA.jpg
DglKtRK.jpg

My 404 Jeffery is a v-express sight which shoots extremely accurate..more accurate than what I am capable off...

WlgWYHS.jpg

Currently I am shooting it with a Leupoldt 1.5-5 x 20 scope while hunting...

Attachments

• WlgWYHS.jpg
    WlgWYHS.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 278
  • VN6r6In.jpg
    VN6r6In.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 414
  • Uk87OpA.jpg
    Uk87OpA.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 372
  • klj8m66.jpg
    klj8m66.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 356
  • DglKtRK.jpg
    DglKtRK.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 324
I would never recommend going "cheap" on the glass.... for primo rifles & hunting purposes. That being said.... money goes a long way with Vortex & Leupold. I'd like to own Trijicon, S&B, Swarovski, Leica, etc...... just never needed or could justify.

+1 on Leupold. I would go with a VX-2 or higher on a .375ish recoil level. for a .40+ I wouldn't go below the VX-3 line. I personally prefer the old VariX-3 as I think it was a tougher scope. If you can find one used they are usually a good deal. In my mind they will hold up better to the recoil. I have no emperical data to back this up however. Honestly, I had a Weaver V3 1-3x20 on my .416 for a while while I was waiting for my leupy to come in. o_O It held up just find but has since been moved to my 6.5x55. I just love the look of a scope that has no objective bell on it.

You won't find anything but Leupold VX 3 scopes on all of my rifles ranging from 22 through to 450 NE. Great value for money and never had a drama yet. And until I do , they won't wear anything else.

Another vote for the Trijicons. I have three Accupoints, a 5-20 with green dot and two 2.5-10s with the chevron post. It took some getting used to the chevron but I prefer it for quick shots. I own and have used Nightforce NXS for my long range stuff but they are on the heavy side. Their SHVs are a great scope too at half the price of other Nightforces.

Trijicon works great for me on my 375 CZ 550. Swarovski is also a good tough one I use on my 340 weatherby. If you really want to go crazy, Schmidt & Bender is really excellent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg