Which rifle for lion?

Tanks, post: 140612, member:
The lion would have been released to the hunting area about 96 hours prior, and would still have the drugs in its system...

There will be no drugs in the lions System. That is an illegal hunt.
As hunters we need to get the facts sorted out on captive bred lion hunts.
Just want to point that out.
Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
The waiting period for a captive lion is 96 hours in the regions of RSA where most of the hunts take place. I'd submit that the effects of the tranquilizer cocktail would still linger, not to mention I would not call 96 hours "wilderness acclimation". However, as the OP said, no need to discuss the pros and cons of RSA canned lions hunts. I just know it is not for me or for anyone I respect. Others might feel different.

Cheers.

The waiting period for a captive lion is 96 hours in the regions of RSA where most of the hunts take place. I'd submit that the effects of the tranquilizer cocktail would still linger, not to mention I would not call 96 hours "wilderness acclimation". However, as the OP said, no need to discuss the pros and cons of RSA canned lions hunts. I just know it is not for me or for anyone I respect. Others might feel different.

Cheers.
They do not use any tranquilizers or drugs to move the lions into the hunting areas any more.
Release periods also differ from province to province.
PHASA has urged all members to adhere to a self imposed 7 day release period.

Do you think 7 days would transform a lion from a "pet" to a wild animal? ;) I must admit that it is a good business model for the lion farmers though. As the lion matures generate revenue by having tourists watch, feed, and/or play with them. Once it matures, sell them to outfitters for shooting by hunters.
11-19-2013-1-18-20-PM.jpg

Attachments

• 11-19-2013-1-18-20-PM.jpg
    11-19-2013-1-18-20-PM.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 255
Tanks,
I don't doubt that what you describe above, happens. Money is the root of all evil and will unfortunately make people dare to do despicable deeds.
But if you think that the photo above paints an accurate picture of the norm in RSA Lion hunting, you're in for a mauling.
Being in the industry myself, as an experienced outfitter you see a lot that gives it away, but I can't think of any one of the regular AH outfitters here who I believe involves themselves with this.
We don't know the story behind the picture, just the same as any "Tree-Hugger" uses hunting photos to paint their own little stories they want to believe.

Have a nice day!

I have to agree with Marius 100%

Tanks with respect buddy, you sounding like a anti -hunter.
Let's get back on track to the original thread.

The original poster did not want this to turn us hunters against each other so let's leave this to another thread.

I just don't want inaccurate statements made about South African hunting that some people might take as fact.

Best regards
Dave

"Anti-hunter"? Is that the straw man argument? But, you are right. The canned hunts vs regular wild hunts have been discussed and argued ad nauseum. I am not against it per se (even if I don't care for it) as I realize that if it got banned then next target would be the wild hunts. As long as it is represented honestly (which in the OP it was) I have no issues. However, in the past I have been offered lions which were "raiding the cattle etc." and "You'd better move quick to book it before it is gone". Obvious canned hunts that were being offered as wild hunts.

And I'm sure other such despicable deeds have happened in other countries and not just involving lions.....

But that said and speaking of the OP, just where the heck has Mt. Goat been? I had a chance to spend some time with him in Vegas at SCI, good guy. And he hasn't been around since April.

I think a 500/416 NE 3 1/4 or 416 Rigby No 2 sxs double fitted with a low power claw mounted scope would be the ultimate Lion hunting rifle....

African Shot Placement: minimum calibre for lion - 308Win , recommendet calibre 9,3x62, 375H&H, 416.

Old thread but what the hey! Winchester M70 CRF in 375 HH with low power scope and good quality tough but expanding bullet like 300 gr Swift A Frame. Then shoot it enough to get good with it for precise shot placement on first shot then practice enough for cycling without thinking (under pressure) for fast follow up shots.

Used a 416 Ruger myself with 400 grain softs!

.465 h and h! Double, maybe!

Last edited:
If it's true where you've been hunting everywhere,I'm surprised at such a beginner's question, even if you haven't shot a lion yet.
I also find the mention, that you want to shoot a south african garden lion strange.
As if that had something to do with it.
:S Troll:

Last edited:
alright - let me turn some heat up on this thread.
but first I will be humble. I have never hunted in Africa ... and certainly not lion.
perhaps i will be lucky and do some hunting in the future ... but more likely it will be bowhunting for antelope.

anyway ...

I would be curious about how many hunters could really "keep their cool" and make a good shot at a charging lion. forget what rifle you are holding. think about the man himself (or the woman). a charging lion is a pretty frightening situation. i'm not sure that many people have really "been there and done that". I do expect that some of the PH's on this thread HAVE really done this. So I would like to hear their realistic comments about how many clients could keep their nerves and make a good shot at a charging lion.

Upepo

I hunted with a Spanish client, who came with a most beautiful R8 Blaser rifle in 375 H&H. It was a 18 day safari including 2 elephant, 3 buff, leopard and a lion.

Now he was very particular that his rifle not ever ride in the gun rack, always in a soft case zipped up. Was fine by me. With the elephants he would always say I can hit it from here when we were still 100 meters away....anyway long story short.....
We had been tracking three male lions, that we had heard the night before. We had cut there tracks very early. These were lions patrolling there home range and they were on the move. We knew they would rest up as the day heated up. After 5hrs of tracking we did catch up. They were a magnificent band of brothers, two of them were spectacular dark maned lions and one was of lighter composure....sticks went up and the client made the shot.....too far back....now the lion put up a astonishing acrobatic display as he growled and snarled biting at the pain caused by the bullet.

This display was taking place about 45 meters from us, I knew from previous experience that as soon as this stopped the lion would focus his attention on the cause of his predicament and charge..I sternly commented to my client to "Ricarga!!! Tira!!! I had my 500 Jeff in the shoulder and just kept sight of the R8 barrel in my right peripheral vision. I could sense something being done on my right but no shot followed. I again replied more urgently Ricarga!!!Tira!!! at which point the lion stopped his acrobatics, focused those huge golden eyes on us and with a last deep throat-ed roar like grunt an stiff tail came at full charge....

More movement on my peripheral vision indicated the barrel of the R8 disappearing from view...not wanting to shoot the client lion unnecessarily I held my fire, nothing happened....at 15 yards I let the lion have it and he collapsed in a most satisfactory way end up facing the way he had come from. His tip of tail was close to me.

Looking at where my client was I saw the R8 lying in the sand, closer inspection revealed that he had indeed been reloading as instructed but not firing as he was supposed to do, the cartridges being ejected un fired...My tracker immediately wanted to pick up the rifle which I refused. Where was the client I asked? He ran away was the reply....

We dragged the lion between two trackers and myself under some shade. One tracker was instructed to go to the nearest track(we had stayed in contact with my driver in the Land Cruiser). I made myself comfortable against the lion in the shade and sent my head tracker to track and find our client. After 30 minutes he returned without the client. I was told that he had found the client but could not bring him back as he had ran a while and then opted to climb a geelhaak tree....now the fear of the lion had no effect on the pain of the thorns cutting into his flesh on the way up but he had gotten himself properly stuck. It took another 20 minutes for the truck to arrive and a further 40 minutes to reach the tree and cut the client free...when we returned to the lion the R8 was still lying exactly where it had been dropped.

Needless to say after that the R8 rode in the gun rack with the rest of the rifles...

So yes most clients love the hunting and the excitement, some get very nervous close to DG and some just cannot handle a charge when it happens....yes it is a very scary and intimidating thing to experience but running from it is the last thing you do...rather wet or soil yourself but you need to face it and sort it out...or well climb a geelhaak tree and spend one and a half hours in there until you are rescued....

I hunted with a Spanish client, who came with a most beautiful R8 Blaser rifle in 375 H&H. It was a 18 day safari including 2 elephant, 3 buff, leopard and a lion.

Now he was very particular that his rifle not ever ride in the gun rack, always in a soft case zipped up. Was fine by me. With the elephants he would always say I can hit it from here when we were still 100 meters away....anyway long story short.....
We had been tracking three male lions, that we had heard the night before. We had cut there tracks very early. These were lions patrolling there home range and they were on the move. We knew they would rest up as the day heated up. After 5hrs of tracking we did catch up. They were a magnificent band of brothers, two of them were spectacular dark maned lions and one was of lighter composure....sticks went up and the client made the shot.....too far back....now the lion put up a astonishing acrobatic display as he growled and snarled biting at the pain caused by the bullet.

This display was taking place about 45 meters from us, I knew from previous experience that as soon as this stopped the lion would focus his attention on the cause of his predicament and charge..I sternly commented to my client to "Ricarga!!! Tira!!! I had my 500 Jeff in the shoulder and just kept sight of the R8 barrel in my right peripheral vision. I could sense something being done on my right but no shot followed. I again replied more urgently Ricarga!!!Tira!!! at which point the lion stopped his acrobatics, focused those huge golden eyes on us and with a last deep throat-ed roar like grunt an stiff tail came at full charge....

More movement on my peripheral vision indicated the barrel of the R8 disappearing from view...not wanting to shoot the client lion unnecessarily I held my fire, nothing happened....at 15 yards I let the lion have it and he collapsed in a most satisfactory way end up facing the way he had come from. His tip of tail was close to me.

Looking at where my client was I saw the R8 lying in the sand, closer inspection revealed that he had indeed been reloading as instructed but not firing as he was supposed to do, the cartridges being ejected un fired...My tracker immediately wanted to pick up the rifle which I refused. Where was the client I asked? He ran away was the reply....

We dragged the lion between two trackers and myself under some shade. One tracker was instructed to go to the nearest track(we had stayed in contact with my driver in the Land Cruiser). I made myself comfortable against the lion in the shade and sent my head tracker to track and find our client. After 30 minutes he returned without the client. I was told that he had found the client but could not bring him back as he had ran a while and then opted to climb a geelhaak tree....now the fear of the lion had no effect on the pain of the thorns cutting into his flesh on the way up but he had gotten himself properly stuck. It took another 20 minutes for the truck to arrive and a further 40 minutes to reach the tree and cut the client free...when we returned to the lion the R8 was still lying exactly where it had been dropped.

Needless to say after that the R8 rode in the gun rack with the rest of the rifles...

So yes most clients love the hunting and the excitement, some get very nervous close to DG and some just cannot handle a charge when it happens....yes it is a very scary and intimidating thing to experience but running from it is the last thing you do...rather wet or soil yourself but you need to face it and sort it out...or well climb a geelhaak tree and spend one and a half hours in there until you are rescued....

WOW now that was not what I expected.

:):) Great story. I've heard of that happening with a hunter panicking, dropping his gun and running but never witnessed it. I have seen a hunter, under stress, jack some rounds on the ground and not fire a shot. That sounds exactly like a cat's reaction to being hit. Sometimes bears react similarly.

Good tale IvW! Must have been a bit frustrating to you. If I had been you, I would have pulled the trigger much sooner!
When are you going to write up some more of your tales? I really enjoy reading them!

Reactions: IvW
No prob with .375 and not to worry it is not all that likely you will have a charge.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrunoScadd

Latest profile posts

btheis13 wrote on migrabill's profile.
I love your zebra avatar! Is that yours? If so, would you mind sharing who did your taxidermy work?
Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning