Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

A good plain M70 Safari Express with decent wood. I'm not a fan of engraving. It detracts from the lines of the rifle and tends to be too gaudy.

@Red Leg if memory serves you’ve got one of Bradshaws rising blocks? I’ve never handled one but they look magnificent.
The rifle is extraordinary.

Bradshaw Rising Block Single Shot

But it isn't a Hartman & Weiss.

Though, I should also add that it sure isn't a Ruger No. 1 either. :cool:

The rifle is extraordinary.

But it isn't a Hartman & Weiss.

Though, I should also add that it sure isn't a Ruger No. 1 either. :cool:
Yes but the difference is I might one day have disposable income enough for a Bradshaw. A rifle based of of that design in 9.3x74r would be an honest contender for one rifle you could hunt the world with.

It is hard not to be awestruck by the craftsmanship of Purdey rifles/shotguns in the London store. But I don’t think I would hunt with one.
For functional beauty I really like the thumbhole R8. When I look at it I know that it fits like a glove.
Honorable mention: Any rifle with an orange recoil pad, like my sako AV.

View attachment 392701
I have always like O/U double rifles.
This one in particular is rather stunning, especially because it is a 500 NE....
I know that photo so well, look at how perfect the proportion of the pancake cheek piece are - few get that right.

+1

To my eyes, model 70 is a simple, very well proportioned rifle.

Another one that always catches my eyes is Kimber Caprivi. Just elegant lines, same with Westley Richards magazine rifle.

I like the look of single-shot rifles too. Be it Farquharson or break action.

I particularly like the new stock shape (straight comb) Blaser K95, and I adore Fanzoj KB-1. Both these rifles look good in plain black as well as with a super fancy, engraved finish. I know sooner or later I’ll buy a single shot rifle.

This is not taking into account engravings and other non-functional decorations. I do like them, and most any rifle tastefully and elaborately engraved is an eye-catcher. But some firearms just look “neat”.
So Mod 70 it is? Or Kimber Caprivi? That would be my ultimate bolt rifle if I ever go there.

View attachment 392714

I have a soft spot for M70’s (with a Rigby thrown In for good measure!) The Second rifle from the top is one of the finest 7x57’s I have seen. The engraving is by one of the British masters.

However, as much as I appreciate these guns, I have to agree with Kevin and Red Leg, a fine falling block single shot is perhaps the most elegant form of rifle ever created.
So WAB, which FB will it be? I know you like Rugers....

So Mod 70 it is? Or Kimber Caprivi? That would be my ultimate bolt rifle if I ever go there.
Well, going by the looks I'd say the Kimber. But going after functionality it'd have to be 375 R8.

Living where I do I had never seen a m70 in the flesh, now that i have my m70 super grade i cant stop looking at it, they really are stunning rifles.
A good friend of mine has a fantastic collection of Tolley big bore shotguns and I could spend all day looking at that shotguns. Beautifully finished guns with stunning lines that come up like it's a part of your body.

So WAB, which FB will it be? I know you like Rugers....

The Ruger is likely the most versatile but I have a soft spot for the Dakota Model 10 in spite of the company’s issues.

It's a trick question,...almost like what type of woman do you think is the best looking. What I liked 30 years ago is a lot different than what I like now.

That being said, if I take the last 20 years of my daydreaming into account, I would say a early 1900's english big bore double rifle done by any of the proper makers would get my vote.

Any (well, almost any) double. SxS, O/U, doesn't matter. They tend to have the perfect look, which is simply improved with fine engraving and fancy wood. But even in their most basic, working form, that form just says "take me hunting, shoot me".

I find the forend really defines the look. I like a slim forend as it seems to accentuate the line of the barrel. It also makes a rifle look sleek. With the curves to the wrist and a flared butt with nice grain and I am lost!
WR_43656_.318-17239-Edit.jpeg

Not there yet - but I have high hopes for this one. Got a picture from the stockmaker earlier today. Just a bit of water on it to show the potential. Won't know for sure for a few months, though. Still early days. It's for a Sako AV in good old 30-06. Gloss blued action and barrel. And an orange Silvers pad to top it off.
IMG_09431.jpg

On top is the blank it came out of. In the middle is the template (?) for the router, and on the bottom is one of the stockmakers own rifles (we were dicussing shape and size of the cheek rest).

6369945421.jpg

I want final result to look like a smaller version of its bigger brother, a 404 Jeffery (also on a Sako AV action).
IMG_0604.jpg

So I guess that this is what I would call a nice-looking rifle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg