Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

Kevin Peacocke

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
It seems like the conversation. Went right to fancy custom rigs. Even your first post mr peacock regarding the ruger #1. That is not what they look like from the factory sitting on a peg in a retail store lol.

For “production” or “semi production “ rifles that come off the line in large batches and look good it would be hard to argue the kimber caprivi, or the original African model. But the best looking production rifle in American history imo would have to be the Dakota 76. They built a whole lot of them.
Hi @uplander01 I was thinking of a production Ruger No1, my rifle, the one I posted the photo of is absolutely standard. I also like the Kimber Caprivi, the shape is perfect and the walnut they use is a great colour.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
If modern and production, Dakota Model 10. If modern and custom, a Hartmann and Weiss.

If vintage, the original Gibbs Farquarson single shot is way up there. So is a Dickson Round Action Double rifle. So too a pre-war Rigby stalking rifle on a Mauser 98 action. For shotguns, a MacNaughton skeleton.

For true vintage, a Joseph Manton pre-1835 percussion or flintlock double rifle made by Manton and his apprentices in the shop at the time, Purdey, Lancaster, Boss, and Greener.

15FCDEA8-6F7B-4C11-95B4-B1D2E05E8ED3.jpeg

Kevin Peacocke

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
W
If modern and production, Dakota Model 10. If modern and custom, a Hartmann and Weiss.

If vintage, the original Gibbs Farquarson single shot is way up there. So is a Dickson Round Action Double rifle. So too a pre-war Rigby stalking rifle on a Mauser 98 action. For shotguns, a MacNaughton skeleton.

For true vintage, a Joseph Manton pre-1835 percussion or flintlock double rifle made by Manton and his apprentices in the shop at the time, Purdey, Lancaster, Boss, and Greener.

View attachment 447514
Wow that is beautiful, is that a typical Dacota Model 10?

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
W

Wow that is beautiful, is that a typical Dacota Model 10?

@Kevin Peacocke there are as many varieties of Model 10s as there are stars in the sky. The deluxe models had drop points on the stocks and an ebony forend tip. Mine has exhibition wood, 32 lpi checkering, and color cased hardened receiver, grip cap, and scope rings. Many variations. Its a more refined action than the Ruger number 1 but they are also a smaller action so there are no 470, 500, or 577 customs built on model 10s.

Safari Dave

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, SCTP, SSSF, IHEA, IGFA, TU
Hunted
RSA, MOZ, Wyoming, New Mexico, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina
I like the Heym 88B Safari:

1642727260465.png

(KEVIN - Please never let me see an 89B!!!)

I also like the Weatherby Euromark, maybe a little too "California" for some folks:

1642727113957.png

The old Browning FN Safari is not too bad, even if it is shiny:

1642727044043.png

Last edited:

R.M.C.

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
U.S. and Canada
I don't know if you could beat a Ruger #1 , it's winning for me because I live in a very rural town and I run into guys with Ruger #1s on occasion so actually seeing them working is nice. And they are obviously beautiful rifles, one that anyone can own . Just my two cents lol

Kevin Peacocke

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica

Clodo Ferreira

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hi,

About the FN Mausers, to me they are the second candidates after the Original Sporting Oberndorf Mausers. I prefer the FN De Luxe and Supremes over the Brownings iterations...

Doug3006

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X2), Zambia
The most beautiful rifle I’ve ever seen is the Marlin Glenfield .22 LR semi auto I received from my dad on Christmas Day 1968. I‘ll remember it all my days. I can’t recall ever getting a gift….of any type….that excited me as much.

937FE34D-2FD6-4F09-99DC-830D19E75023.jpeg

Joker12

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
The most beautiful rifle I’ve ever seen is the Marlin Glenfield .22 LR semi auto I received from my dad on Christmas Day 1968. I‘ll remember it all my days. I can’t recall ever getting a gift….of any type….that excited me as much.

View attachment 448097
Best answer yet!

steve white

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
1903 Männlicher Shoenauer carbine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phonglt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Member: NRA Life

Hunt: Alaska-Canada-NM
geoff rath wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
G'day Bob,
Just had a yarn with A G, and he has filled me in on how much work he puts in to such developments, referencing QuikLoad, tightening tolerances, load development, range testing. He indicated that of you wish to contact him directly he can go into details far better than I.
If you wish , contact him directly, he has given the OK for me to pass that on.
Hunt: Alaska, Canada, Mexico and USA: particularly the Western states.
Hi,
Going through and old thread I see you mentioned having a William Douglas double in 470NE for sale. Just touching base to see if you sold the rifle, or if it was still for sale?
Regards,
Chris
(Wollongong, NSW)
Hi Chris
Yes, I still have it
Cheers
Steve
Erin Lockwood wrote on Laurine88's profile.
Hi again do you think you could message me your email or some other way to contact you, I've been having error messages trying to send messages via private conversations to you since last night, sorry!