Which reticle for a VX-R

WestCo

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Looking at getting the VX-R 2 x 7, just trying to decide on which reticle to get. Really have narrowed down to either the fire dot duplex, or the fire dot #4. However I haven't ruled out the fire dot ballistic plex. This will go on a rebarreled 375 H&H with a Rem 700 action. Any comments would be great and pros and cons would also be helpful. And planning on doing a buffalo hunt and adding a zebra and kudu if possible this trip, but also will plan another trip for some other plains game in the near future. And could see possibly using this rifle for a brown bear and moose hunt back in N. America in years to come.

I think you have it narrowed down to the correct two. For buffalo keep it simple and stay away from frills like ballistic plex. I have one in the Firedot 4 and it has the 3 really thick outer cross hairs, really too thick. Then I have a second VXR in 1.25 to 4 with the firedot 4 and the crosshairs are not as dramatic, more "about right". It would be great if you could look through both.

I have the 2-7 with Firedot 4. It is totally a matter of preference, only you can decide.

I just got the VXR 2x7x33 Firedot. Got it mounted recently and shot, its very nice. This wnet on my .375 with intentions of going after buffalo, and in the future leopard and brown bear/moose one day.

Forgot to add that mine is the Firedot Duplex

Firedot with duplex is the way to go with that 375.

Firedot LR Duplex will give you three holdover marks incase you have a longer shot and a steady rest.

All the best in your decision.

The Leupold No. 4 is basically a Euro version of the Heavy Duplex. I have it on my Leupold Euro 2-7x33. Excellent hunting/match reticle.

I have a Remington 700 in 375 HH with a VX-R on it and I went with a firedot duplex.I sighted it in 2.5 inches high at 100 yds and shot animals out to 250 with no problem.Keep It Simple Sammy-worked for me.
I will also tell you that I have one pin on my bow.

Thanks everyone. I went with the firedot 4. Got it mounted and have put some rounds through the rifle with it. Very clear and easy to use, I really like that it turns itself off after no activity so I don't forget and drain the battery. Can't wait for the chance to put an animal behind that dot.

I'm going to mount the firedot duplex on my 300 win mag! Went and looked at it at Cabela's yesterday and liked it a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross