Which other calibres are compatible with the 450/400 Nitro?

Most modern 450/400 barrel diameters are .410, especially if they have been made to regulate with modern factory ammunition like Hornady.

Most modern 450/400 barrel diameters are .410, especially if they have been made to regulate with modern factory ammunition like Hornady.
Hi, yes that I know, but the wuestion is, is the 410 usen in any other popular rifles?

Hi, yes that I know, but the wuestion is, is the 410 usen in any other popular rifles?
Unfortunately not, seeing as your criterion is other popular rifles.
The 400H&H is pretty rare beast. Not that the 450/400 is all that common.

Not to meddle - I assume part of your issue is bullet availability in Zim?
Getting bullets from RSA (i.e. RSA made) would be the simplest option - I presume you don't want to shoot monos in your double? The conventional lead core bullet options are a little thinner on the ground here but you could try Claw or Stewart bullets. Both make bonded big game bullets and will make to order - not in the A-Frame league but pretty close to Woodleigh.
Getting a batch of bullets up to Zim should be an easily solvable problem.

Just to add to my post above (at the risk of continuing my tangent), I just browsed quickly at Safari & Outdoor and they have Hornady DGX 400gr in .410 available for R1874/$127 per 50 - apparently stock at just about all of their branches.
[Back on topic] :giggle:

Its in Danish, but good article about the .400,also shows reloads with lighter bullets ,revolver or pistol ones also.

Bit like what Ganyana designed the .41 and .44 Ganyana for ( cut down .404 to .41 and ,44 Mag diameter)

Just to add to my post above (at the risk of continuing my tangent), I just browsed quickly at Safari & Outdoor and they have Hornady DGX 400gr in .410 available for R1874/$127 per 50 - apparently stock at just about all of their branches.
[Back on topic] :giggle:
Thanks for looking Desperatezulu, appreciated.
Kevin

+1 for the Winchester 1895 .405 WCF as seen leaning on the buff to the left. Taken with 400 grain Woodleigh Weldcore at 2100 fps.

Just find other 450/400 NE users and make a group.....

450/400 -.410
400 Whelen - .410
405 WIN - .412
404 Jeff - .423
416 rigby, rem ruger etc - .416

I used the 450/400 3-1/4” for many years on elephant, leopard and wild boar. My dad shot about 5-6 tigers (1950-60) with it, all one shot kills. Excellent cartridge; we’re a rather short-built family so this was preferred over the .465 & .470 rifles which were seldom used.

There is not a lot that share the same.410 bullet diameter as the 450/400 unfortunately. It is even becoming increasingly difficult to obtain any variety of projectiles in Australia. With the exception of Woodleigh.

I know this is an old thread, but if you have trouble finding .410 bullets, .416 is usually more plentiful and with a .411 or .410 resizing die you are in business. I swage my own jacketed bullets, and I got .416 swage dies and .411 resize dies so I can make both calibers. Lee makes the standard caliber resize dies for standard reloading presses for about $25, but they will make custom sizes for about $50. As long as you don't try to reduce a jacketed bullet more than .009 in diam., you should be good.

Can get some made at Rhino....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois